Sportivo Under-bonnet Fire.

Can anybody else tell me if they have heard of, or have had any problems with under-bonnet fires in their Sportivos/Celicas fitted with the 2ZZ-GE?

I have had 2 engine failures in my car within 27000km's. 3 weekends ago I lent a mate my car for a drive with his missus, and he rang me to say there were flames coming out from under the bonnet. I rang him back 15 mins later after calling the fire brigade and coppers, but it was too late...

R.I.P. NATAS!

My new Golden Rule Number 1... Never buy a South-African Built Japanese Car! Nothing but trouble! Geez I hope the new Corolla is a good one when it comes out, otherwise I think I will be buying my first Non-Toyota car for quite some time!

post-1946-1142381610.jpg

post-1946-1142381647.jpg

post-1946-1142381691.jpg

post-1946-1142382403.jpg

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

comiserations mate :( *pat on back, shout beer* :blink: wtf is wrong with SA corollas...mine is an SA corolla, but not a stivo...touch wood touch wood!!! :blink: are u insured for that? >.< was it heavily modded?

Can anybody else tell me if they have heard of, or have had any problems with under-bonnet fires in their Sportivos/Celicas fitted with the 2ZZ-GE?

I have had 2 engine failures in my car within 27000km's. 3 weekends ago I lent a mate my car for a drive with his missus, and he rang me to say there were flames coming out from under the bonnet. I rang him back 15 mins later after calling the fire brigade and coppers, but it was too late...

R.I.P. NATAS!

My new Golden Rule Number 1... Never buy a South-African Built Japanese Car! Nothing but trouble! Geez I hope the new Corolla is a good one when it comes out, otherwise I think I will be buying my first Non-Toyota car for quite some time!

Tough Luck Mate!!

SHould have stuck with a Jap Built 1ZZ !!

GO THE 1ZZ!!!!! :P

wow thats nasty, sorry to hear that, never seen that happen, only when someone has tried to light one...

ps... are u a canberra guy? car looks familiar, as does that road where it burnt!!!

F#CK thats terrible!!!! :blink:

I suppose its gunna be close to impossible to pinpoint what caused it?

I really feel for ya mate

Edit: i have not heard of this happening before.

Edited by Slurdog

hrm, cant say my fire was this bad, buy the sounds of things mate you are just driving it way to hard. i killed mine after 48,000km it took alot of beating to get it to break too, track days, darg days, long hard cruises and taking it over 9,000RPM so mabey its not acutally the car thats the prob mabey its the driver??

it can happen if there is alittle oil somewhere under the hood and ignites from heat. spark caused from battery, faulty wiring. Anything can happen. but the chances are rare!

How hot was it that day?

wow! never thought an NA car will get so hot for no reason,sorry to hear that mate, WTF is wrong with the stivos! problem after problem! was your mate watching the temp gauge? or was it a sudden thing?

Edited by sportiyo

Sounds pretty nasty...sorry to say but I think your mate was really pushing your Stivo to the limit.

But then again it could of been a case of some bad wiring or something to trigger the engine to overheat.

Im sure there was oil and coolant in the engine before the drive yeah? :P

Fark...

Looks modded, what had been done in engine bay?

Stereo wiring can cause a lot of those situations, unfortunately.

Good reminder for me to actually install my fire extinguisher into the car now.

Good luck with insurance.

SORRY TO HEAR MATE!!!!! :( All i can say is atleast no-one was hurt and i hope that your insurance will pay this one out!!! I havnt heard of any problems at all with any stivos but my mates EP71 STARLET turbo burnt to the ground after a dogdey install of a turbo timer caused his car to burst into flames while driving then it would not turn off!!!! The installer was taking to court!!! And this all happened 3days before he was goin to sell the car the turbo timer was the selling point!!! <_< :(

I was there are mini ones for sale in chrome,red,white etc! they look pretty cool! think im gonna get one to put in my car!

I was there are mini ones for sale in chrome,red,white etc! they look pretty cool! think im gonna get one to put in my car!

get the full size ones...the mini ones r useless...not enough chemical in there to put out a small fire...well..thats what i was told at the fire and safety training at uni..

Oh man sorry to hear that. :o

Like other people are saying here I think I might invest in a fire extinguisher as well.

Mines Japanese built, but just in case after seeing that! :o

The only problem is with a full size extinguisher is that its gonna wiegh like 10-15kg's+ alittle bit too much wieght to lug around at least with a mid sized extinguisher designed for Automotive use it will help a bit!! But then again judging by how big the flames are and the fact that there is petrol as a major factor would you really want to risk being that close to the eingine bay!!?? :blink: I say get full comprehensive insurance and keep your self, your mates and your loved ones safe and JUST RUN :lol: and let it burn to the ground cos your gonna get paid out for the damage any way!!!!

The only problem is with a full size extinguisher is that its gonna wiegh like 10-15kg's+ alittle bit too much wieght to lug around at least with a mid sized extinguisher designed for Automotive use it will help a bit!! But then again judging by how big the flames are and the fact that there is petrol as a major factor would you really want to risk being that close to the eingine bay!!?? :blink: I say get full comprehensive insurance and keep your self, your mates and your loved ones safe and JUST RUN :lol: and let it burn to the ground cos your gonna get paid out for the damage any way!!!!

just make sure that if u have incorrect tyres fitted, that they get burnt good and proper :P