2019 Camry Hybrid SL parking sensors are hopeless

Davo'sCamry

Hi All,

The front parking sensors on my 2019 Camry Hybrid SL are just about useless!

I find that even if I creep up very slowly to something the sensors take an age to react and then only if they can see something at a very oblique angle, i.e., not directly in front of the car.

It does say in the owners handbook that there is a delay before they react, but really... 🤯

I haven't had reason to try the reversing sensors much but at least they point more towards the rear of the car, not angled to the sides like the front, but even so there is that stupid delay and they don't act until I am very close to anything.

Overall I am very happy with my new car but those front 'sensors' drive me batty because the front of the car sticks out well past where the sensors pick up any obstacles, so if I park nose up to a plain brick wall I don't get any warning. I'm worried that I'm going to damage the front even though I'm paranoid about being careful, it's very hard to gauge where the front is from the driver's seat.

Is this all normal?? Is there any adjustment for the stupid things??

Has anyone added any after-market front sensors to their SL Hybrid? 🤔

Cheers,

D.

No, the only adjustment is to the volume of the sensors 'buzzer', there are three volume levels to choose from.

I have it set to the highest level (loudest) but even that is pretty weak, needs to be much louder in my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...

An update to my o.p.

I asked the service guys to check out my front sensors when I took the car in for its first service, they said they were the same as another Hybrid SL they had in at the same time.

That didn't answer my concerns though.

Anyway, I've been looking at aftermarket sensors for the front - eBay list some good ones for low prices, I bought a four sensor setup for $18.95 and hooked them up in my garage to test them - they work well, only two are needed to give reliable and accurate warning.

Now I just need to get enough courage to pull the front of the car to bits to fit them, I know where I'm going to put the two but the LED and buzzer display might be a bit awkward to place in the cabin.

Yes they only sense the corners of the front of the car.I have had the same promlem,usually have to get out and have a look.Annoying but all in all a very nice car.I won't add any more sensors as too much radar gear in there for me.

• 1 year later...

unfortunately the 2020 Camry SL is no different.

Does anyone know if adding additional sensors to the front will effect the warranty.

I will most likely be adding a separate parking system with 2 sensor for the front.

11 hours ago, alexgc said:

Does anyone know if adding additional sensors to the front will effect the warranty.

I doubt it. It's not a major modification but wouldn't hurt to ask Toyota directly. I assume you still have your car serviced there.

• 2 years later...
On 7/23/2019 at 6:42 PM, Davo'sCamry said:

An update to my o.p.

I asked the service guys to check out my front sensors when I took the car in for its first service, they said they were the same as another Hybrid SL they had in at the same time.

That didn't answer my concerns though.

Anyway, I've been looking at aftermarket sensors for the front - eBay list some good ones for low prices, I bought a four sensor setup for $18.95 and hooked them up in my garage to test them - they work well, only two are needed to give reliable and accurate warning.

Now I just need to get enough courage to pull the front of the car to bits to fit them, I know where I'm going to put the two but the LED and buzzer display might be a bit awkward to place in the cabin.

Well, it's now 2023 and I still have that parking sensor kit in my garage. Been too busy with other projects and I didn't want to void the car's warranty. Now the car is out of warranty (I think) I might revisit fitting the kit.