Upgrading 2010 Aurion ATX Headlights

Hey all,

I have an Aurion ATX and the low beam are absolutely shocking. I'm not sure if this is common but as soon as you leave a decently lit suburban area you really want to use high beam just to be able to see properly.

My question today is are they just H11 globes? If so, are they able to be changed without ripping apart the headlight assembly?

I'm looking at some NARVA globes but I'm also open to suggestions.

Cheers

Edited by GreenFence

No need to rip out headlight unless your hand cant get in there. There is usually a plug that goes into the bulb

Check out illumo LED lights. The build quality is now higher than previous LED bulbs

9 minutes ago, jeffy said:

No need to rip out headlight unless your hand cant get in there. There is usually a plug that goes into the bulb

Check out illumo LED lights. The build quality is now higher than previous LED bulbs

No issues throwing an LED in when it comes with halogen (I assume it's halogen)? I'll check them out!

1 hour ago, GreenFence said:

No issues throwing an LED in when it comes with halogen (I assume it's halogen)? I'll check them out!

none that i can think of: you have projectors on your ones so yours will aim correctly, where as if you dont have projectors (like my car)  and the light output is scattered 

I have fitted GE Megalight Ultra +130 H11 headlight bulbs and been using them for about 6 months, maybe longer. At first, they did not appear to be that much brighter but after about 2 weeks I thought that they were brighter. What I did notice was the increased light projection distance. Very noticable improvement when on high beam.

https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/store/category/car-bulbs/fitting/h11

If I had to replace my headlight bulbs, I would also be considering the OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited H11 headlight bulbs which also come with a 12mth warranty.

Something else that I have been reading up on is how restoring the headlight lenses results in more light on the road. It is on my to do list.

Hi 

Have a look at the Philips H 11 bulbs , these are good. I had them on my 2010 Aurion Prodige, I still have a new set with me.

Regards

JP

• 2 weeks later...

Might be a good idea to take some before and after photos to indicate just how much of an improvement comes from cleaning the headlights and also a change of the headlight bulbs.

was previous driving an Outlander with LED bulbs, switched to 2010 Aurion and was so uncomfortable driving at night with the oem bulbs. Ordered LED bulbs, will try them on soon.

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, new poster to the forum. Was looking for info on installing Angel Headlights in my Aurion Prodigy MY10, but all the relevant forum posts I could find were almost 10 years old. So I opted to ask you guys instead!

have you guys had much experience having such LED/Xenon headlights fitted? How did it go? It appears there are some full headlight kits you can purchase online to replace but these seem to have their own issues...!

Reading over other forum posts it seems circa 2013 people were reccommending some specific workshops in Sydney to get the work done (custom of course). I’m not particularly keen on attempting to do this work myself (very disinterested, in fact). I’m also not really sold on the ‘kits’ you can buy out there, either! So I was wondering if there were any such places that might do that kind of stuff in Melbourne? Are they able to also swap the indicators out from the old halogen bulbs to the new ‘flowing’ LED strips that are all over eBay (not that I’m sold on those being the perfect solution either). Is it possible/wise to put these strips in the headlights? Is it possible to change the headlights around to make them more ‘lidde’?

What about the fog lights? Is it possible to replace those with some kind of CCFL/Xenon/LED alternative? Would it be wiser to install some ‘daylight driving’ LED lights in place of the fog lights? Would it be better to keep both? Is that even really possible? Where would you recommend placing the daylight driving LED’s if you wanted to keep the fog lights?

I’ve also found replacement LED taillights on eBay. Have you guys had much experience with these? Again is it better to go with getting someone to custom do it, rather than just buying a pre-made set off eBay? Who would you recommend in Melbourne for that kinda stuff?

Finally some questions about interior LED lighting — is it hard to install? Do you guys recommmend people in Melbourne to do it?

I have more questions about upgrading the radio/computer system, about changing the wheels/rims, and about changing part of the body kit and grille to make the car look more... exciting, but I know this isn’t the best thread to be asking for help from. I’m also somewhat perplexed about the legality of such changes to the body (I won’t be lowering the car, nor increasing the window tint either, both of which I know to be illegal). Any advice on useful resources on these?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

• 7 months later...

After the passenger halogen bulb expired, I bought these Mini H8 H9 H11 LED Headlight Globe bulbs Fog Lights 110W 26000LM Car Lamp 6000K  on eBay for $15 on 27.02.2020. The driver's halogen bulb has recently expired so planning upon fitting these LED bulbs this weekend. Bulb specifications are 55W each. Theoretical lumens output is 13000LM for each bulb but in reallity expect about 50% of that so approx. 6500LM for each bulb. Dimensions are very close to a halogen bulb so should be relatively easy to fit with a Plug n Play design. These are budget priced bulbs so my expectations are more for a longer lifespan and a styling upgrade;i.e. whiter light rather than performance with increased projection of light.

Planning upon posting some before and after pictures, then giving some further feedback about whether it was worthwhile or not.

image.png.a4e91dcab5adb802621e60c60a0530da.png

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mini-H8-H9-H11-LED-Headlight-Globe-bulbs-Fog-Lights-110W-26000LM-Car-Lamp-6000K/164040903463?hash=item2631998b27:g:RZsAAOSwi7xeJgbH

• Like 1

Looking forward to the outcome Ash, as something I have also thought about doing a while back when one of my Presara Headlight bulbs died..but went with a higher upgraded bulb..pain in the butt to fit, but did the job with time, patience, and loads of swearing under the breath.

Good Luck

KAA

5 hours ago, KAA said:

Looking forward to the outcome

Exactly. Before, I have been regularly looking at the upgraded performance halogen bulbs. I did look at LED but put off with the separate ballasts as I am not so confident about changing the electricals or wanting to pay an auto electrician. I was also not having good experiences with the LED bulbs for the parking lights and license plates; not outlasting the standard bulbs. Other issues were fitment, headlight housing damage [excess heat] and being legal.

I am fairly confident about this upgraded All in One design of these Mini LED because their dimensions are close to a halogen bulb and the ATX low beam headlights are projectors. At the time of purchase, I checked that they did work and should fit [particularly the passenger side] before packing them away. Also impressed enough with the light output [in daylight outside of the headlight housing] to be worthwhile proceeding with fitment. It should not take long to determine whether I have wasted my $$$ or not.

• Like 1

Sounds like you have done all you can do as far as fitment and quality mate..so when you have fitted will be good to see results..for me it is always the drivers side that is the total pain as room for hands was tough..and as i don't have a slave with small hands it was up too me to take it steady and cover mouth when swearing..LOL

KAA

I did fit the LED bulbs this afternoon. It took less than an hour and took longer to fit the driver's side. I am giving it a pass mark for a styling upgrade.

image.png.fe0f29d68c503c148058c7ee494eab83.png  image.png.cdd45a2f87cd7d590eb62f4657ed2058.png

After sunset, I went for a short drive around the block. So far I am unimpressed with the light projection, plenty of light up close but not so much in the distance.  I was behind another vehicle on a well lit main road and thought that I only had the parking lights on. Turned off into side streets and it was obvious that the headlight bulbs were still working.

I will test these bulbs over a few more weeks but if the light projection does not improve then I will end up replacing them.  

7 minutes ago, Oreoaurion said:

I noticed you have aftermarket parking lights, any advice to change them easily? It seems a pain in the ***** to change it.

I access the parking lights via the wheel well. I end up undoing about half of the retaining clips of the inner plastic guard to get access to the parking light on the headlight assembly. I previously used the LED bulbs with the wire connectors and had lots of trouble with the lights flickering on and off because of the poor electrical connection. Also you want to get a shorter length bulb so it will fit.

I have just received these ones that I bought on eBay. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/10x-T10-194-168-W5W-COB-8SMD-LED-CANBUS-Silica-Bright-License-Light-Bulbs-White/133256595395?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

In a previous post, you mentioned about fitting LED bulbs. What did you end up doing? 

lol. i got the same T10 but lazy to put them in because of the hassle ... will try when i have the motivation. thanks mate.

*will take photos of my LED headlights soon...

Edited by Oreoaurion

• 2 weeks later...

Passenger side LED bulb failed within 2 weeks of being fitted. As they came with a 5 year warranty claim, I have contacted the eBay seller who has responded wanting a YouTube video. Replied today so waiting to see what happens next.

Thanks to the girlfriend, these are the YouTube videos so you can see me demonstrating that the bulb does not work. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4cCpB1rmkw&t=43s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zMK8d4vmWX0

• 2 months later...

Early June, I bought these branded LED bulbs from a different seller.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H11-4-Sides-LED-Headlight-Low-Beam-Globe-Bulb-for-Toyota-RAV4-06-18-Aurion-06-12/324163761700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Huge difference in performance and very pleased with the results over the last few months. These IRONWALL bulbs are producing similar or better results compared to my previous performance halogen H11 bulbs.

I think that the metal braided power cord is a differentiating feature for a better quality product.

image.png

• 1 year later...

As a follow up to my previous post on 3rd August 2020, I was so pleased with the results of upgrading the headlight bulbs to LED that I bought another pair as a future upgrade to my project Aurion. However, the expected lifespan of 50,000 hrs has not been met. Driver's side bulb has lasted 15+ months but the passenger bulb needed to be replaced after only lasting 7 months. The replacement only lasted about a week with only 1 of 4 sides lighting up brightly. Immediate workaround was to temporarily fit a halogen bulb until replacement LED bulbs got ordered and delivered.

Following photos compare and show the difference between the halogen bulb and the LED bulb.

A few Forum members have mentioned the STEDI brand for quality LED bulbs so ordered them and got delivery this week. Plan is to replace the passenger headlight bulb only next weekend or so then do another post with the AFTER photos.806939317_IMG_0085(2).thumb.png.4f5bc990714f0cfd818d92287d5887de.png 

IMG_0085.thumb.png.96b820348e15f41aad3d98b246037403.png

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Finally, fitted the STEDI LED bulb to the front passenger headlight. I ended up removing the car battery to have that bit of extra room to fit the bulb. At least I do know that it is correctly fitted.

What was surprising is that there is no great difference in light output between the chinese LED bulb and the STEDI one. However, the STEDI design is different and has a high rpm cooling fan. Certainly expecting the STEDI bulb to outlast the warranty period. Definitely a big improvement over a OEM halogen bulb so quite handy in the recent rainy overcast weather.

IMG_0091.thumb.JPG.757b76a982f073a16a31ff7eb909a835.JPG

• Like 1