Upgrading 2010 Aurion ATX Headlights

5 hours ago, adn said:

So to confirm both chinese and the stedi LED performs better then the halogen? Did you had to adjust your lights? 

That specific design of the chinese LED headlight bulb and the STEDI LED for projector headlights performed much better than OEM halogen bulbs. They also outperform the high performance halogen bulbs that I have used in the past. I have had mixed results with using the chinese LED bulbs. 2 have lasted 7 months and the last 1 only lasted about 1 week. Only 1 bulb has lasted the test of time, so far. Those chinese bulbs also came with a 5 year warranty. After being given delaying tactics from another eBay chinese seller and then ghosted, I have not bothered wasting my time.

The precise reason why I have dug deeper into my wallet and bought the STEDI bulbs. I am expecting a quality product that is going to last more than 2 years. My last set of high performance halogen bulbs lasted 2 years.

Overall, I am quite enthusiastic about upgrading to the LED headlight bulbs which are essentially a direct swap and require no modifications.

I did not have to adjust the headlights. Same light pattern. I understand that with some other brands of LED bulbs they have an option to adjust the positioning of the bulb. 

Something that I have not yet done is to give the headlights a good clean.

So this bulb: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H11-4-Sides-LED-Headlight-Low-Beam-Globe-Bulb-for-Toyota-RAV4-06-18-Aurion-06-12/324163761700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Drive side lasted 15 months, passenger 7 months, then replacement bulb 1 week. Seller eventually ghosted you so you went and bought the STEDI instead

5 hours ago, adn said:

So this bulb: https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/H11-4-Sides-LED-Headlight-Low-Beam-Globe-Bulb-for-Toyota-RAV4-06-18-Aurion-06-12/324163761700?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Drive side lasted 15 months, passenger 7 months, then replacement bulb 1 week. Seller eventually ghosted you so you went and bought the STEDI instead

It was a different chinese eBay seller that eventually ghosted me. Got given the run around to make and post a video etc. I reckon that it was just delaying tactics so I would not request a PayPal refund.

Driver's side LED bulb was fitted 04.07.2020 so has lasted 17 months so far. When it fails, then I will fit the other STEDI LED bulb. 

Hi Ash, Yes barely noticeable difference in light output between the 2, but as you know Stedi will for sure outlast the other one, now the only fun to have is getting a human hand into the small space to replace the driver side blub LOL. When I replaced mine there we words spoken at a volume that caused my lady to tell me to calm chill and have a coffee several times LOL then she had the job of applying the band aids to the cuts on the knuckles LOL

Thanks for the Picture mate

KAA

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

It was a different chinese eBay seller that eventually ghosted me. Got given the run around to make and post a video etc. I reckon that it was just delaying tactics so I would not request a PayPal refund.

Driver's side LED bulb was fitted 04.07.2020 so has lasted 17 months so far. When it fails, then I will fit the other STEDI LED bulb. 

Thanks mate. Just picked up my 2015 aurion ATX and the light output is pretty crap. Surprising the Interior light too. I am hoping it all just t10 inside and a 31mm festoon.

My other car has oem HID. 

1 hour ago, KAA said:

Hi Ash, Yes barely noticeable difference in light output between the 2, but as you know Stedi will for sure outlast the other one, now the only fun to have is getting a human hand into the small space to replace the driver side blub LOL. When I replaced mine there we words spoken at a volume that caused my lady to tell me to calm chill and have a coffee several times LOL then she had the job of applying the band aids to the cuts on the knuckles LOL

Thanks for the Picture mate

KAA

Is it going to last 3.5 times as long? 1.5 year and still going. Is pretty good for 40 bucks. 

1 hour ago, adn said:

Thanks mate. Just picked up my 2015 aurion ATX and the light output is pretty crap. Surprising the Interior light too. I am hoping it all just t10 inside and a 31mm festoon.

My other car has oem HID. 

Is it going to last 3.5 times as long? 1.5 year and still going. Is pretty good for 40 bucks. 

Just remember that it was 2 sets with only 1 bulb of 4 lasting so far. A 25% success rate is not worth recommending. Final straw was that last replacement bulb only lasting 1 week.

Along with that $70-$80 outlay comes a lot of frustration having to change bulbs and reset the radio stations. 

Also one of my pet dislikes is cars with only 1 headlight working.

Add in the extra risk of potentially hitting something or someone with the passenger headlight not working then you have to question whether it is worth it.

The STEDI LED bulbs also arrived within 1 week [standard postage] whereas anything coming from China these days is at the end of a slow supply chain.

3 hours ago, adn said:

Fair enough.

Is there a reason why you didn't go with HID? 

I was uncertain whether the existing headlights would be suitable to fit the HID bulbs and I was not interested in changing headlights. I was looking for a direct replacement/upgrade to the OEM halogen headlight bulb. No conversion kits just a straight forward plug n play design. Also ease of fitting without having to do modifications or the risk of damaging the bulb during the fitting process.

LED interests me because of electrical efficiency i.e. less watts and higher light output. 

There has been LED design improvements in recent years to achieve that plug n play design result.