Recommended Posts

Hi all

Im looking to give my Stivo some tasteful mods but would like to learn more in the process. 

CAI - back in the day lots of owners went for the TRD CAI setup which at first was a struggle to install on facelift models and now looks like a discontinued product. How does Injen or Simota Racing rate? Are there any other suitable brands out there?

COILOVERS - keen to explore what you guys are using.

AIR FILTER - Worth replacing the OEM spec with something like K&N?

SERVICING PARTS - what oil and oil filters is recommend for a general service? Would prefer fully synthetic and something suitable for the occasional track day

BRAKES - rotors and pads advice? Again, something suitable for the occasional track day  

SWAY BARS/LOWER CONTROL ARMS - Whiteline? Superpro? 

BLACK HOUSING HEADLIGHTS - really like this look. Are there headlights you can buy or is this a DIY paint thing?

Thanks in advance guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, CheekySportivo said:

Hi all

Im looking to give my Stivo some tasteful mods but would like to learn more in the process. 

CAI - back in the day lots of owners went for the TRD CAI setup which at first was a struggle to install on facelift models and now looks like a discontinued product. How does Injen or Simota Racing rate? Are there any other suitable brands out there?

COILOVERS - keen to explore what you guys are using.

AIR FILTER - Worth replacing the OEM spec with something like K&N?

SERVICING PARTS - what oil and oil filters is recommend for a general service? Would prefer fully synthetic and something suitable for the occasional track day

BRAKES - rotors and pads advice? Again, something suitable for the occasional track day  

SWAY BARS/LOWER CONTROL ARMS - Whiteline? Superpro? 

BLACK HOUSING HEADLIGHTS - really like this look. Are there headlights you can buy or is this a DIY paint thing?

Thanks in advance guys. 

CAI - I have a mate who makes a nice flowing 3" design (2.75" at the maf) which runs like a dream, sounds nice and loud along with being quite cheap also. Shoot me a PM if you want some more details. I've run Injen and a modded Injen and I'd definitely say that Injen is severely over priced for the performance you get.

COILOVERS - BC are the most popular option as there readily available. I'd go for the Golds as they are less known to experience issues compared to the reds. They are quite firm on the road so unless you're able to find Fortune Auto's for a good price they're probably the best coilover option. I have seen Tein's also but they run quite low springs rates and don't seem to handle as nicely as BC's. There are also Cusco's but I've known a few guys to move to BCs and said that they were much nicer than the Cusco's. There's a few other brands like D2, K Sport, XYZ or Yellowspeed but I haven't heard much about them.

AIR FILTER - If you're going for CAI, you may as well not go with an upgraded panel filter. The stock intake system is very restricted and the CAI really opens it up. Any good flowing pod like an Injen, K&N or 3A Racing works well with good flow and filtration.

SERVICING PARTS - I'd highly recommend full synthetic. I myself run Nulon Full Synthetic 5W-30 and currently sitting at almost 232000 kms and it barely burns it between changes. Depending on what oil viscosity you are running now and how much it burns, most guys seem to run Nulon or Penrite these days. I've always run OEM filters but Ryco does the same thing as well.

BRAKES - I run T2 Slotted Rotors and QFM HPX pads and they are awesome on the street and spirited drives. They leave minimal dust, make no noise and bite very nicely. On the track, they aren't so good as they fade with the heat as I've seen a few guys run them at track days. You'd be able to get away with it if you plan on tracking say once or twice a year. If not, you'd need to consider the A1RM as it's suited to track conditions.

SWAY BARS/LOWER CONTROL ARMS - I haven't seen many guys change the sway bars but, most go for the rear torsion bars. Whiteline is nice upgrade with 22mm over the standard 17mm and the fact that it's solid. Really stiffens up the rear end and is honestly one of the best mods to go for. As for lower control arms, I did purchase superpro ones but I stupidly went according to the stock suspension which means they're too long since the BC BR's I run come with shorter control arms. I've yet to find the correct number which will be suited to them so just running the BC ones. I've got 1 or 2 mates that have adjustable ones and they've never really made adjustments to them so it's up to you and whether you'd get a benefit from it.

BLACK HOUSING HEADLIGHTS - This is a DIY. Allow at least a day to do and you'll need a heat gun, a few sharp tools (use old ones if you can since they'll get messy), high temp primer and high temp black paint. Up to you whether you go with a gloss or matte finish but most just go matte. The main things you need to be careful with are heating the same spot for a long time which can cause cracking and making sure you heat up spots enough along with placing enough pressure to re-seal them once done to avoid moisture and leaking.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Pretty much what squalled said ^ but id like to add few things

 

coils

d2, ksport, xyz are your ebay spec coils, they basically come from the same factory and just spray it a different colour according to their brandings - avoid these at all costs

BC used to be good back in the day.. not anymore  ,nowadayz MCAs are the new BCs apparently- have a look at these as well,

ive just checked fortune autos price.. and JEASUS !O_O  theyve jacked it up quite a bit  since i bought them ... 

 

servicing parts

ryco generally has a thicker ring seal than oem

+1 for nulon

 

brakes

+1 for HPX, you can also have a look at Remsa pads (slightly cheaper) - avoid bendix general CT pads (fluid pretty much boils after a spirited braking session) 

rotors you can use Vmax slotted ones .. much cheaper than T2s. Also Dba doesnt really like QFM, theyre pretty harsh on the rotors, soo keep that in mind.

QFM A1Rms are the way to goooo ! They work better too once theyve warmed up

 

black housing

you can also put it in an oven to take the housings off

 

sway bars

+1 one  of the best and cheapest "bang for buck" mod for a FWD car

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, jeffy said:

Pretty much what squalled said ^ but id like to add few things

 

coils

d2, ksport, xyz are your ebay spec coils, they basically come from the same factory and just spray it a different colour according to their brandings - avoid these at all costs

BC used to be good back in the day.. not anymore  ,nowadayz MCAs are the new BCs apparently- have a look at these as well,

ive just checked fortune autos price.. and JEASUS !O_O  theyve jacked it up quite a bit  since i bought them ... 

 

servicing parts

ryco generally has a thicker ring seal than oem

+1 for nulon

 

brakes

+1 for HPX, you can also have a look at Remsa pads (slightly cheaper) - avoid bendix general CT pads (fluid pretty much boils after a spirited braking session) 

rotors you can use Vmax slotted ones .. much cheaper than T2s. Also Dba doesnt really like QFM, theyre pretty harsh on the rotors, soo keep that in mind.

QFM A1Rms are the way to goooo ! They work better too once theyve warmed up

 

black housing

you can also put it in an oven to take the housings off

 

sway bars

+1 one  of the best and cheapest "bang for buck" mod for a FWD car

MCAs are quite expensive compared to BC's and they don't have a line up for our cars so it would have to be a custom order which I'd imagine cost even. I got my BC's a few years ago now but I've heard very mixed stories about the current models, mostly bad but they seem to get replaced if they have issues. Only time I'd consider Fortune Auto's are if they're slightly used seeing as they're super expensive new.

My rotors seem alright so far actually coming to think of it running T2 with QFMs although, I don't do track days so that might help a bit.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks so much for your informative replies guys. Much appreciated. 

Ok, so my next question is - where are the best places to get these parts from? 

So far I’m keen on the Injen CAI, BC BR coil overs, air filter, rotors, brake pads and lower control arm options. Is there a one stop shop that has all these?

If you could drop me some links to get started so I can look more closely into the options that would be great 🙂

Re servicing parts: what would be the OEM spec parts I need eg which Ryco oil filter?

Would Sparesbox be your go-to place for these servicing parts or mods?

Thanks again guys. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, CheekySportivo said:

Ryco oil filter

Z423 - we actually share the same filter from the camry 😛

 

8 minutes ago, CheekySportivo said:

Ok, so my next question is - where are the best places to get these parts from? 

Rotors and Pads i usually get online - https://brakesdirect.com.au/  been using these guys for years 

 

not sure if you guys in NSW have somthing local that stores all of em.. i mean like us in VIC we have Importmonster, OTR etc

 

Quote

Only time I'd consider Fortune Auto's are if they're slightly used seeing as they're super expensive new.

aww MCAs dont make? haha i didnt really check , wonder what the difference would be?

 

i used to also run BC .. with 4/2 spring rates before i upgraded to FAs a year later with 12/12 spring rates. (Considering there was a $200 difference in price back then i shouldve just gone straight to FA,)  FA still more comfortable even with stiffer spring rates, i was told the valvings make all the difference.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, CheekySportivo said:

Thanks so much for your informative replies guys. Much appreciated. 

Ok, so my next question is - where are the best places to get these parts from? 

So far I’m keen on the Injen CAI, BC BR coil overs, air filter, rotors, brake pads and lower control arm options. Is there a one stop shop that has all these?

If you could drop me some links to get started so I can look more closely into the options that would be great 🙂

Re servicing parts: what would be the OEM spec parts I need eg which Ryco oil filter?

Would Sparesbox be your go-to place for these servicing parts or mods?

Thanks again guys. 

I'll be honest, can probably get most of them on eBay. The BC BR's come with LCA's as well so best to measure them before ordering adjustable ones as the SuperPro (for exmaple) will list it for the stock suspension which uses a longer LCA. If you're going for injen, make sure you go the one piece as the 2 piece design is garbage in my opinion after using it.

For the Injen, if you look for Matrix XRS or Corolla XRS on eBay it will list them. 

6 minutes ago, jeffy said:

aww MCAs dont make? haha i didnt really check , whats their price difference ?

 

i used to also run BC .. with 4/2 spring rates before i upgraded to FAs a year later with 12/12 spring rates. (Considering there was a $200 difference in price back then i shouldve just gone straight to FA,)  FA still more comfortable even with stiffer spring rates, i was told the valvings make all the difference.

Yeah MCA don't make them for our cars but, I did see a rally car with them so they must do them made to order which I'd assume would cost a fair bit of coin. I believe the valving is the reason they're more comfy on stiffer settings like you said. I've been in one car with FAs and it stiffer than mine but no where near as uncomfortable (although I don't find it that bad anyways).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...