2011 Aurion sportivo 6x Transmission.

ILOVEMYCAR

4am this morning I reversed ok out of the drive but when I shifted to drive I had no acceleration until I went flat to the floor, then I got very minor movement. Tried again got same result, pushed through it and the drive kicked in and it’s been fine all day - 8 hours straight driving, all conditions, wet, dry, traffic stops starts freeway runs. It felt like the transmission was just on the drive side of neutral. It didn’t rev high to move. Car’s just been through 170,000km service. Replaced a front wheel bearing and other side front drive shaft seal. All good. Engine great. It’s never had a transmission service due to owner (me) not knowing about that. Any ideas? 

Your transmission has just given you a big wake up call that it needs to be serviced. The automatic transmission fluid [ATF] needs to be changed. Best to drop the transmission pan to clean off the accumulated sludge and replace the transmission filter/strainer. Alternatively you could just replace the fluid in the transmission pan a few times.

About 4 years ago at 165,000kms, I removed the transmission pan and replaced the transmission filter/strainer. Lots of sludge on the bottom of the pan. Since then, I have replaced the ATF in the transmission pan about every 6 months. I will have to check my records. Odometer reading just turned 210,000kms so planning upon replacing the ATF in the near future. Gear changes are smooth and unnoticable. I am DIY and have a tendency to over-service my vehicles and a great believer in preventative maintenance. $50 spent on ATF changes is a lot cheaper and easier than having to repair/replace a transmission.

If you want your transmission to last, then service it and drive smoothly. . 

20 hours ago, campbeam said:

Your transmission has just given you a big wake up call that it needs to be serviced. The automatic transmission fluid [ATF] needs to be changed. Best to drop the transmission pan to clean off the accumulated sludge and replace the transmission filter/strainer. Alternatively you could just replace the fluid in the transmission pan a few times.

About 4 years ago at 165,000kms, I removed the transmission pan and replaced the transmission filter/strainer. Lots of sludge on the bottom of the pan. Since then, I have replaced the ATF in the transmission pan about every 6 months. I will have to check my records. Odometer reading just turned 210,000kms so planning upon replacing the ATF in the near future. Gear changes are smooth and unnoticable. I am DIY and have a tendency to over-service my vehicles and a great believer in preventative maintenance. $50 spent on ATF changes is a lot cheaper and easier than having to repair/replace a transmission.

If you want your transmission to last, then service it and drive smoothly. . 

Same thing this morning but revving v high on the drive start. Went to trusted transmission bloke who said could be oil down or could be seals. Getting the transmission serviced Monday. $360. He suggested that the forward happening in a hill could indicate more that the oil is low because its draining out when I’m uphill when it’s cold. He suggested warm it up in drive, then reverse out of driveway and head downhill first to see if it still happens. Rebuilt transmission around $5K! I’m not a DIY. I do about 1,000km/week. Car is income. Fingers crossed. I’ll check out the error code tomorrow. TB said he’s argued with Toyota about the so called car life transmission, in a heated manner. He’s seeing Toyota transmissions go down between 70-150,000km. He says the only thing factory sealed is where the dipstick refill used to be. 🤬

U660E Transmission Filter Replacement.doc

14 minutes ago, ILOVEMYCAR said:

He suggested that the forward happening in a hill could indicate more that the oil is low because its draining out when I’m uphill when it’s cold

Totally agree with your mechanic. I had the same experience until I got the level in the transmission correct.

I have attached some documents that your mechanic may find useful.

It took me a few reads of the Technical Bulletin to finally notice and action the line on the last page about adding 200mls of ATF after the fluid flow has stopped then install the refill plug.

U660E AUTOMATIC TRANSAXLE FLUID ADJUSTMENT.doc How to to service the Toyota 6 speed Transmission.doc