e10 fuel on trd aurion 3500s

Kent wang

Anybody running your trd on e10 fuel? can i share some experience? I realize  that will lost some pwer, but that is not the issue for me due to i just use the car travel to work. thanks.

Edited by Kent wang
wrong words

I have stopped using E10 fuel.

I did a few weeks trial with my Aurion ATX and fuel economy was worse by more than 10% with urban driving.

I stick with 91 unleaded with the occassional tank of 95 octane.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

E10 isn't bad per say, because it can contain up to 94 octane and hence offer similar performance to 95 RON. The only drawback is the economy suffers a little and this is why it's cheaper than regular unleaded. Depending on someones weekly budget too, If they can afford to pay for the 95 then it's not a bad thing but standard unleaded is ok for general driving.

The TRD was designed to run on 98 I believe but you can use lower octane. The computer will adjust the settings for you so it's not detrimental to the engine. Knocking is what you want to avoid. It can blow a hole in your pistons and then it's game over.

What does it say on the inside of your fuel filler cap ?

95 or 98 ??

For me, I'd use what it says for the most part, but the occasional lower RON won't hurt it.

• Like 1

On 9/16/2019 at 8:14 PM, Kent wang said:

Anybody running your trd on e10 fuel? can i share some experience? I realize  that will lost some pwer, but that is not the issue for me due to i just use the car travel to work. thanks.

Ya might want to rethink that...False economy...Consider...Less millage...Less power = increased throttle application...Dirty fuel injectors...Put your TRD performance car on the market and buy a corolla....

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

E10 isn't bad per say, because it can contain up to 94 octane and hence offer similar performance to 95 RON. The only drawback is the economy suffers a little and this is why it's cheaper than regular unleaded. Depending on someones weekly budget too, If they can afford to pay for the 95 then it's not a bad thing but standard unleaded is ok for general driving.

Recent post by a TRD owner in another thread echoed my E10 experience. Economy suffered about 20% with the same octane rating. I have used E10 with 94/95 octane rating when highway driving and gotten approx. same fuel economy as 91 Unleaded

Buy the recommended fuel for your vehicle.

Incorrect fuel can have unexpected consequences. This was how a past computer games colleague dealt with a serial petrol thief. I think he put methanol in his fuel tank. He reckons that the pistons would have burnt out within a few kms. 

6 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Incorrect fuel can have unexpected consequences. This was how a past computer games colleague dealt with a serial petrol thief. I think he put methanol in his fuel tank. He reckons that the pistons would have burnt out within a few kms. 

Karma is a B***h. :laugh: That'll learn 'em lol..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Karma is a B***h. 

I am getting older and wiser. [supposedly] Precisely why I step to one side and let Karma do her thing. Always best to do the right thing.

For this post, it is using the recommended fuel as a minimum for your specific vehicle. 

26 minutes ago, campbeam said:

For this post, it is using the recommended fuel as a minimum for your specific vehicle. 

Agreed. 

The very notion of using E10 in a performance car beggars belief. If you don't want to pay for 98 RON buy something that doesn't.

My M3 is a premium only car and it's always 98.

The Aurion on the other hand will get E10, regular unleaded and the occasional 95. That's pretty much it.

Just now, Tony Prodigy said:

If you don't want to pay for 98 RON buy something that doesn't.

Exactly why I am highly unlikely to buy a performance vehicle requiring 98 Premium Unleaded.

I get enough fuel pump shock just looking at the differences in prices between 91, 95 and 98 Unleaded.

It was not that long ago [according to my memory bias] that it was only a 4 cent difference between 91 and 95 then another 6 cents from 95 to 98. 

7 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I get enough fuel pump shock just looking at the differences in prices between 91, 95 and 98 Unleaded.

It was not that long ago [according to my memory bias] that it was only a 4 cent difference between 91 and 95 then another 6 cents from 95 to 98.

Yep, I also remember a time when the difference was only a few cents...

Now they have this "Gouging" down to a fine art and hence we now now see up to 20 cents difference. I will make a note of this next time I fill up at the Scungy Caltex near my work.

• 1 month later...

The biggest contributor to fuel economy is how heavy your right foot is.

Outside of that, in normal (usually highway driving) you will see a slight fuel economy improvement using a higher non-ethanol blend octane fuel.

But it usually isn't enough to justify the added expense (if you are doing it to save money, as opposed to using less fuel and being greener... or is it "greener"??)

For example using Shell and 60L as the volume:

91 = $1.379 = $82.74
95 = $1.529 =  $91.74
98 = $1.609 = $ 96.54

And if I get an extra 100km (usual cited figure on fuel forums) using 98 octane at my car's stated highway usage (6L per 100km) if I just used 91 octane I would only have paid $8.28 for the extra 100km instead of the nearly $14 extra using 98.

That being said, the higher octane fuels are of a better quality, and as a result keep longer (which is the main reason that I use 98 Octane fuel).

On 5/29/2020 at 4:42 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

Yep, I also remember a time when the difference was only a few cents...

Now they have this "Gouging" down to a fine art and hence we now now see up to 20 cents difference. I will make a note of this next time I fill up at the Scungy Caltex near my work.

You may get better fuel economy using BP

25 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

You may get better fuel economy using BP

Unfortunately, we don't get to choose fuel suppliers as I drive a company vehicle. Normally I would use BP for my other cars but Caltex is our current fuel provider.

I have only used BP Ultimate 98 in my M3 and find it to be a fine product. It also requires it as standard so no real choice anyway.

32 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

That being said, the higher octane fuels are of a better quality, and as a result keep longer (which is the main reason that I use 98 Octane fuel).

Exactly. My M3 doesn't get that much usage and I have at one stage had the same tank of fuel in it for over two years and it still fired up and ran. Admittedly, the octane had dropped and would ping under load and before I got to drain the tank the fuel pump failed, so whilst having to do this I pumped out the old fuel, ( rigged up a fuel pump from a motorcycle to suck the fuel out using a hose) drained the fuel lines, replaced both fuel pump assembly and fuel filter. I then filled it with fresh fuel and have since started using a fuel stabilizer. 

Satbil.jpg

In Brisbane, the petrol pricing is now in its low cycle. I was planning upon filling up with 95 which is currently @ $1.189.

Just spotted 98 @ $1.239 so maybe a change of plans.

95 in a standard Aurion is plenty....98 is overkill....Just run a few tank fulls of 95 through when you can and you will at least help clean up your injectors....  

Edited by rubin
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, rubin said:

95 in a standard Aurion is plenty....98 is overkill.

I do agree. I usually run my Aurion on 91 unleaded especially when the petrol price is higher.

Currently giving the engine a thorough clean out with the higher octane plus fuel additives. Also driving more for pleasure than for fuel economy. Good offset for the worries of our interesting times.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:39 PM, campbeam said:

I do agree. I usually run my Aurion on 91 unleaded especially when the petrol price is higher.

Currently giving the engine a thorough clean out with the higher octane plus fuel additives. Also driving more for pleasure than for fuel economy. Good offset for the worries of our interesting times.

My girlfriend was working at a Toyota dealership when the Aurion was released,

She said that they (Toyota) gave 2 different power outputs for the Aurion, one for 91, and one for 98

Using 91 Octane the power was 200 killer wasps

Using 98 Octane it was 204 killer wasps

Edited by Novicebutnice

Thanks Stephen for the info, As most Aurion owner will say yes you do nitce the power difference on the 98 and even 95 octane fuels, Personally I never run it on E10, I tend to use 91 90% of the time, and about once every 2-3 months use a tank full of 98 or 95 depending on the prices at the time..it is very clear when that is in the tank the boost it gives..I am not saying E10 is bad..as many use it all the time and the engine is designed to run on it well..I am just one who prefers to use a better grade of fuel if possible..Hopefully as the prices are down and if the nutjobs do the right thing about COVID we will all be able to get out on the black stuff and enjoy a good long run again..miss getting out with the my lady enjoying our wonderful country

Keep Safe Keep Well

KAA

1 hour ago, Novicebutnice said:

My girlfriend was working at a Toyota dealership when the Aurion was released,

She said that they (Toyota) gave 2 different power outputs for the Aurion, one for 91, and one for 98

Using 91 Octane the power was 200 killer wasps

Using 98 Octane it was 204 killer wasps

Ya missing the point....

4 of ya killer wasps means nothing compared to the difference in price between 91 and 98....

95 and 98 is more refined and burns cleaner....In a lot of European country's ya can't even buy 91 (funny enough even when ya can still buy leaded fuel)

11 minutes ago, KAA said:

Thanks Stephen for the info, As most Aurion owner will say yes you do nitce the power difference on the 98 and even 95 octane fuels, Personally I never run it on E10, I tend to use 91 90% of the time, and about once every 2-3 months use a tank full of 98 or 95 depending on the prices at the time..it is very clear when that is in the tank the boost it gives..I am not saying E10 is bad..as many use it all the time and the engine is designed to run on it well..I am just one who prefers to use a better grade of fuel if possible..Hopefully as the prices are down and if the nutjobs do the right thing about COVID we will all be able to get out on the black stuff and enjoy a good long run again..miss getting out with the my lady enjoying our wonderful country

Keep Safe Keep Well

KAA

Cheers....The reality is the more refined the fuel is, the cleaner the burn....The cleaner the burn the less throttle ya need....Plus your engine and ya injectors will luv ya....

• Like 1

When you start reading about fuel quality in Australia, it is lower quality with more permitted sulfur content.

It explains why we do not get the latest generation Toyota engines which require better quality fuels.

Eventually in the next few years, unleaded 91 will not be available. 

Also, I was of the belief that the additional power output of 203 or 204 KW was based upon 95 octane. 

51 minutes ago, campbeam said:

When you start reading about fuel quality in Australia, it is lower quality with more permitted sulfur content.

It explains why we do not get the latest generation Toyota engines which require better quality fuels.

Also, I was of the belief that the additional power output of 203 or 204 KW was based upon 95 octane. 

Our fuel isn't as bad as it used to be, but still not up there compared to Europe (from what I have read)

To be honest I wasn't there, so I'm not sure if the wording was premium fuel, or specifically 98 

A little off topic but I wonder if they will find a way to make butanol fuel financially viable and using it to replace ethanol in fuel blends.

Also a tad off topic, in aviation gasoline they have 2 octane ratings, one for rich and one for lean,

I wonder if for example if they do, or ever will allow the ECU to not only advance the ignition timing based on knock sensor inputs,

but also allow the ECU to lean the mixture out if it is unable to advance the timing any further due to the fuel being of a higher octane than is required (provided this doesn't damage the catalytic converter or other engine components due to the engine running hotter)

11 hours ago, campbeam said:

They've been talking about the demise of 91 for years....The problem seems to be the fuel companies are resisting the additional infrastructure investment that would be needed because of the Australian market size....  

I think it's stupid to remove 91 entirely. I am getting sick of Governments removing our choices and mandating as they see fit. Enough already I reckon.

We're supposed to be a Democracy, living in a free world...