Engine Oil cooler Pipe & Hose assembly Recall

Aurion ZR6

Receive a recall for for 2006 Aurion.
Aurion vehicle with 2GR engine use an engine oil cooler assembly to maintain optimal engine oil temperature during all operating conditions.
Toyota has received some reports that an engine oil leak or seep may develop from the oil hoses between the oil cooler and the engine.

Should you experience a leak or seep from the engine oil cooler pipe, please contact your preferred Toyota dealership for diagnosis and repair.
Toyota Dealer will replace the engine oil cooler pipe and hose assembly with an all metal oil cooler pipe, free of charge to you.

• Thanks 3

Also received the same letter for my 2006 Aurion ATX. Toyota called it additional guest support and a warranty extension.

Just did an oil change last weekend. I think that I might as well put the car up on ramps and have a thorough inspection of the oil cooler pipes.

If there is any oil seep then I will be booking the vehicle into the Toyota dealer.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks folks, contacted the nearest dealer about this and just booked mine, which is also "due for a recall", for the replacement. Should this topic be set as sticky for all forum sections discussing the models with 2GR-FE engine? Think it's important that people like me, who didn't get contacted by Toyota yet, to contact the dealer and find out if their car(s) may be eligible for the free oil line replacement.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2019 at 9:12 AM, AurionX2 said:

Thanks folks, contacted the nearest dealer about this and just booked mine, which is also "due for a recall", for the replacement. Should this topic be set as sticky for all forum sections discussing the models with 2GR-FE engine? Think it's important that people like me, who didn't get contacted by Toyota yet, to contact the dealer and find out if their car(s) may be eligible for the free oil line replacement.

Good to know, I haven't been contacted so wasn't sure if I'd be covered by it, I'll get onto it now!

I had this problem last Monday. Was driving along and low oil pressure warning came up on dash. Couldn't pull over immediately, had to go another 500 metres before I could stop safely. Checked underneath vehicle and there was oil everywhere on the underside, in the front drivers side wheel arch. Couldn't see exactly where it was coming from. Jumped on to google and searched for massive oil leak problem for Aurion and found a link about the oil pressure pipe. I was fairly sure then that this was what had happened to me.

I rang the Toyota recall 1800 number and asked if there had been a recall for my car and was told by a very pleasant fellow that the letter hadn't been sent to me yet. I told him that my house had burst in a big way and what should I do. He advised me that he would contact the nearest dealer and they would arrange towing and fix it for me. My car was taken to the dealer and they confirmed the problem. The hose was replaced with the all metal pipe. I had lost 4.5 litres of oil as a result of the burst hose.

I was very happy with the service both from Toyota and the dealer, Grand Motors Service at Labrador in Qld. The dealer virtually detailed my car while cleaning up all the oil underneath the car. There was no damage to the engine but I will be keeping an eye on it.

I would strongly suggest all owners that haven't had the hose replaced book it in now.

Edited by Peter Krespanis
Spell error
  • Like 1

On 9/20/2019 at 6:22 PM, campbeam said:

Also received the same letter for my 2006 Aurion ATX. Toyota called it additional guest support and a warranty extension.

Just did an oil change last weekend. I think that I might as well put the car up on ramps and have a thorough inspection of the oil cooler pipes.

If there is any oil seep then I will be booking the vehicle into the Toyota dealer.

"Guest" ? Toyota have gone mad, we're not guests, we're customers that make them lots of $$$$ . . .

This is the problem with oil coolers, if you get a leak & then low oil pressure, you may as well kiss your engine goodbye.

I wonder if this applies to all 2GR-FE motors or only those early model ones ?

Edited by ZZT86

If you get a leak then you are going to lose most of the engine oil onto the road very quickly, like a matter of a few minutes. If you notice the oil light come on, pull over immediately,turn the engine off and call for a tow to your nearest Toyota dealer.This quick action is what is going to save the engine.

Late 2009 build engines on had the full metal oil cooler lines.

Had mine replaced recently and I think we need to clarify something here. There are TWO separate oil lines, front and rear. Only the front one is apparently scope of the recall, visible from under the car as you look up to the oil filter casing you'll immediately see two hoses. On the pre 2009 cars they're rubber, from 2009 onwards they're all metal. The rear one, next to the serpentine belt, is still the rubber one in my case, they quoted me 435aud to have it replaced with the all metal version. Told them I'll keep an eye on it for now, the car's approaching 180k kms, still running strong and pretty much trouble free, see how it goes. Checked quite a few other Aurions and Klugers and all from 2009 onward had the all metal rear pipe installed, so I'd assume the front one, visible from underneath, is also the metal version.

In the end still think it's best to contact your nearest Toyota service shop, give them the VIN and see what they say.

Edited by AurionX2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I got the letter for my 2007 - 253 000km. The dealer took it to look and then said they need to order the part so I have to take it back...still, it is pretty good to get a warranty service at this age.

• 3 years later...

Hi Guy's, 

My oil cooler hose began leaking on Sunday, I called the local toyota dealership monday morning in Kirrawee, They picked the car up with a tilt tray within an hour and repaired it.

Then they returned the car to me before noon tuesday morning, OH WHAT A FEELING

• Like 3

Did they cover the cost or was it out of pocket? It's nice to know they're still replacing the part either way. I'm lucky in a sense that my 2007 had an engine replacement before I bought it and the new engine came out of a 2010 so the vvti and cooler pipes were already the metal ones. Come to think of it the old engine probably died due to the faulty hose lol.

17 hours ago, Baxter190388 said:

Did they cover the cost or was it out of pocket? It's nice to know they're still replacing the part either way.

In my case, there was no out of pocket charges. Yes, very reassuring that Toyota Australia [in this case] is still replacing the part with no time limit cutoff e.g. 10 years

It is also a solid example of why to stay with Toyota.

I hear and read too many stories of well established Australian Consumer Law being tested and challenged by the actions of deliberately denying reasonable valid warranty claims. Precisely why I will not buy certain brands especially those from certain Corporate cultures.

A 7 or 10 year warranty is a great marketing tool to get the sale but will it be honoured. Past and current actions are reliable indicators of future actions [in my opinion]. Choose wisely.

• Like 1