Help required please 2000 rav4 auto

Boycy

Hey guys new to the page , I’ve recently purchased a 2000 model rav4 upgraded shape 2.0l auto petrol the car has started to play up has a real “flat spot” when trying to accelerate really struggles to go anywhere put the boot into it and it eventually gets through that but struggles to change gear unless acceleration is very light , no engine codes are on been told Catalytic converter by some and told

it’s something different by others !

dropped fuel and put some fresh stuff in didn’t really help , car has just been serviced before purchase and done 156,000km 

any help would be amazing thanks 😊 Dan

• 1 year later...

Did you solve this problem? It most probably is the computer ECU. The early 2000 RAV4 automatics had a problem with the ECU that controls transmission. The ECU used non-lead solder as an environmental thing, but it is not as good in situations with vibration. There is a guy in Melbourne who will send you a rebuilt ECU and instructions and you send back your ECU after you fix it. ECUMAN.com.au. I did it and it worked fine.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, morRAV4 said:

Did you solve this problem? It most probably is the computer ECU. The early 2000 RAV4 automatics had a problem with the ECU that controls transmission. The ECU used non-lead solder as an environmental thing, but it is not as good in situations with vibration. There is a guy in Melbourne who will send you a rebuilt ECU and instructions and you send back your ECU after you fix it. ECUMAN.com.au. I did it and it worked fine.

If you have minimal soldering skills, it is quite easy to reflow the solder joints with leaded solder. The problem with non leaded solder is the higher melting point and the longer cooling time it needs which can create a cold joint. Cold joints will fatigue and cause connectivity issues, especially where there is constant vibration.

• 5 months later...

Hey Bryce,

Did you resolve the problem? Was it the ECM in the end?

I recently bought a 2002 RAV4 and am expereincing similar problems, although I am getting the Check Engine Light coming on after driving for 2-5 min, O2 sensor error.

I have replaced all 4 O2 and the MAF Sensors, however it still persists.

I was considering replacing the Catalytic Converter, however, I have decided to do the ECM first and see if it resolves the problem. Picking up a refurbished ECM tomorrow.