Identifying Corolla engine

nutwood

Hi, I'm new to this forum but have just acquired a vibrating roller which is Toyota powered. I'm told the engine came out of a Corolla but have no more information. It hasn't run in seven years and is feeling a bit sad. Initial investigations discovered two cylinders full of water and the electrics totally corroded.

I've freed it up, got it spinning and sparking. I suspect it would fire, given fuel, but the carby is corroded solid. I'm thinking that, if I can identify the engine, it'd be easier to aquire a wrecked carby than try to re-build? Would really appreciate advice on the best way to identify the engine. Happy to supply images.

Small Toyota engines used in forklifts etc would either be K-series or Y-series.  Should be an engine number stamped on the block somewhere, as well as whatever kind of build plate the roller came with.

Photos tell a thousand words too, should at least be able to identify the series with a simple photo.

Many thanks for the reply. I'm now 99% sure the engine is a 4K-C. I tracked down the person who supplied the engine. It came out of his son's car after it had been rolled four times. I showed him different photos of Corollas and it seems it was a 70 series. That made it simple. No overhead cam or anything fancy. Virtually has to be a 1.3 litre.

Interestingly, I've also tracked down a manual for the original roller configuration, which was a Deutz diesel. Haven't got my hands on it yet but it's going to be interesting comparing the torque curves!