Camry 2015-17 Head Unit alternative

FrenchyQLD

Hi everyone,

I currently own a 2015 Camry Altyse (2015-17 model) and would be interested in replacing the stock head unit while keeping all car features (door lock, lights etc.). I went to Toyota in Brisbane and they said there were not selling any to fit to my car. 

The one I currently own is the basic model without the nav and just wished I could get an Android Auto installed. Would you have any recommendations or alternative ?

I also asked them if there was any software update available, they advised there was one and would charged me $88 to do so without being able to tell me what would be the improvement to come with it. 

If you have any input, well it will be appreciated 🙂.

Thank you all and all the best for the New Year to come.

Edited by FrenchyQLD

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I don't know what you mean by "keeping all car features (door lock, lights etc.)", but I've recently replaced the stock HU in my 2008 Aurion with a Sony XAV-AX5000 using a Kenwood CMOS-130 reverse camera and overall the experience has been very positive thus far. Installed it using the Aerpro kit (fascia, ISO harness and steering wheel patch lead to retain the steering wheel controls) and I'm using AA with my LG G6 phone, which gave me a fair bit of grief cause it kept disconnecting / crashing with 3 different cables, while my wife's LG V30 works perfectly with whatever cheap/torn/abused USB C cable I find lying around. I'm now using a 1m Anker Powerline+ USB C cable for my crappy G6 bought off Amazon and so far so good, rock solid. Cable matters with some unit / phone combinations apparently.

For the HU there are plenty of options out there (Kenwood, Alpine, Sony, cheap Chinese Android units etc), need to do a bit of research to work out what's best for you in your price bracket. Autobarn have regularly 30% off audio sales (that's where I bought my Sony unit from) and for the reverse camera and the Aerpro kit for your car you've got Autobarn, SCA or various online retailers.

As Adrian said there are plenty of alternative HU's out there, as always it comes down to what you wish too spend to get what your after..Most modern HU's will have the ability of Sat Nav etc built in..when i replaced our Presara one i found Monster Audio had 5 different ones to pick from depending on price..as i wished not to do any damage or stuff up any electrical i got them to fit and have never had an issue..so I would suggest checking out a few car stores for what is best suited for you. I am sure they will have a suitable HU for you and can list what cable required to have steering wheel controls, rev camera etc function still

KAA

Hi KAA and Adrian,

First I want to thank you for your responses.

I think I wasn't explicit enough around what needs to be retained from the stock HU.

On my Toyota Camry (2015-2017 model) there are some features, only customisable from the head unit, which allow me to adjust some speciific car settings. Below are a few examples :

- Door lock settings : Auto lock by speed / Auto lock by shift from P / Auto unlock by shift to P / Auto unlock by driver door etc..

- Lights settings : Headlights on sensitivity (gradually variable) / Interior lights off timer

- Fuel consumption

I emailed 4 well known in-car stereo companies in Brisbane, only one of them responded. They pretty much said they were not aware of those sort of car settings being only available through the HU and unfortunately they couldn't help out. 

I have seen an article from Crutchfield (US), stating those features could be retained using iDatalink receiver + Maestro RR but not sure where to go from there in regards to which HU would be able to display those features...

Hi Malko, sorry mate have never come across anything like what you have before, so sorry can't offer any advice about a head unit that would still give you those functions.

All i can suggest is Toyota themselves but I would expect it would not be a up to date HU and would cost a fortune anyway..all I can think of is a new unit and doing away with those functions which really would not be a huge inconvenience as you can still lock or unlock the car, turn lights on and off manually. At least a new head unit would allow you to have up to date Sat/Nav and a great sound.

Hope you get something sorted soon and keep us up to date

KAA