2009 Aurion Presara, transmission.

Bigmike62

I'm buying a 2009 Aurion Presara in white, with only 70,000 klms on the clock.

My question is; the car has only done 70,000 klms, but is 11 years old. Should I get the ATF changed asap !

11 years is a long time to have the original fluid in there right ?

Please assist with your opinions. 

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

Definitely consider changing the ATF. If you look hard in the owner's manual then it is recommended to change the ATF at 70K if driving in extreme conditions. Sounds ok until you realise that everyday motoring is extreme according to the manufacturer.

I have a 2008/9 Aurion which has 109K on the odometer. Previous thinking was to leave it be until 160K but I have since changed my mind. It will get a ATF fluid change before going back on the road.

https://www.rymax-lubricants.com/blog/when-do-you-need-to-change-your-transmission-fluid/

• Thanks 1

I'd change it too, did it on mine and will keep doing it every ~2 years or 40k, whichever comes first. Cheap insurance they call it. You need to make sure you get the level right.

Other items you should look for, apart from the service history (it *DOES* have a full service history, doesn't it? :D)

- Outstanding recalls, at least for the VVTi oil line. If it's not full metal go to your nearest Toyota service centre and book it in, it's free of charge but they'll want the car for the whole day. Think there was also a recall for the window switch for some VINs?

- Water pump & alternator - quite rare, but may be on the way out. Regardless, if it hasn't had the coolant changed you should change it, the service schedule in the owner manual wants it change after 10 years or 160.000kms, then every 75k kms.

- Dash - does it look & feel shiny & sticky?

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

What a nice find !

A white Presara with 70k on the clock. Nice Indeed.

Give it a complete once over to ensure everything is in check.

I doubt there's anything major needed. 100% on the ATF. I think I've left mine a bit too long but never too late.

Let us know how you get along.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, got the ATF service done a month ago and forgot to post..It cost me $160. It got flushed and serviced with new oil.. I don't know what he used, I should of asked what brand. I was going to leave the next ATF service until it has done 140,000. But think I will do it with the brake fluid every 2 years instead....

Edited by Bigmike62

1 hour ago, Bigmike62 said:

I was going to leave the next ATF service until it has done 140,000. But think I will do it with the brake fluid every 2 years instead..

That's very prudent BigMike :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

ATF service done a month ago and forgot to post..It cost me $160. It got flushed and serviced with new oil.. I don't know what he used, I should of asked what brand.

Good price for that sort of service. Best to know that the new ATF has/had Toyota WS specification.

Also good thinking to do an ATF service with the brake fluid every 2 years.