AURION FUEL CONSUMPTION.

After buying this 2009 Presara 2 weeks ago, I'm taking it for its first long drive.. 10 hours from Toowoomba QLD to Lithgo NSW. 

What sort of range can I expect on a full tank ?  Will it get 700 ? 

Appreciate your replies...

You should easily get more than 10kms/litre on the open highway. Aurion has a 70 litre tank and the fuel warning light comes on with about 15 litres remaining. Plan upon refuelling at either Moree or Narrabri if going via the Newell Highway. 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the reply, 

I'm hoping to get to coonabarrabran.. which is 576 kilometres from Toowoomba, before adding fuel. Moree is only 370 odd k's which the car should do easily. I'll post my fuel consumption, after the journey. 

Hi Mike, I agree with Ashley, i did a long driving holiday from NSW Central Coast to Melbourne and surrounding areas and got over 10kms per litre at average highway speed, and around town still get 11-11.5 kms..i would agree to refuel just for peace of mind as i don't like my tank under 1/4 full at anytime..just a habit i have as the old (you never know thing) and if anything urgent does arise at least i know i can just jump in and go. I hope you enjoy your trip..stay safe..just cruise and enjoy the adventure

KAA 

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies gents,

What I will do is monitor the consumption and if it's three quarters empty at moree or narrabri I will refill. I too don't like to get lower than quarter full usually. Its a ten hour drive and I'll use cruise control for 90% of the journey, that should help consumption. One thing I do when filling up is,  I put as much fuel in the tank as possible, usually it overflows a little bit, then I know I have maximum fuel. Should be 70 litres at max I guess. Does anyone know if that's dangerous ? I've done it with all my last 30 plus cars, and I seem to get longer distances. 

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

When overfilling the tank, I get about another 2 litres in.

I mainly do this when travelling interstate so that 2 litres and more burns off fairly quickly thus reducing the possibility of any effects upon the charcoal canister in the evaporation fuel control system.

Best not to be in a situation where 2 litres is the difference between driving or walking to the next petrol station. Keep plenty of fuel in the tank to help cool the petrol pump.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your replies gents, 

I guess it's like 4 or 5 litres more, after the first click at the pump. Yes it seems there is an issue with over filling I wasn't aware of. I'll keep pl that in mind and keep it to 2 clicks from now on. Just got the tyres rotated and balanced for the trip, and I keep 38 psi all round in the tyres. That higher psi in the tyres helps with consumption I'm led to believe. 

Hi Mike, like others have said you can add a little more when filling..I also don't tend to over fill unless doing a very long open road trip..then that little extra tends to burn off fast..A good idea to top up when possible..I also keep around 36-38 psi in the tyres when on the open road journeys and lower for around town when home, I hope it is a smooth and pleasant trip for you..let us know how it all goes for you..but most important of all stay safe

KAA

• Thanks 1

38psi around Melbourne on a 40 degrees hot day means squealing at every turn, unbearable 😀 For trips, though, I go with 36-38psi depending on the weather, if it's a rather cool day I'm comfortable with pumping in 38. Have a safe trip Mike, I'm sure you'll enjoy the car on open road, very little road noise AND VERY responsive when overtaking is needed.

• Thanks 1

Thanks guys for all your opinions and advice. 

I'm very interested in seeing how many klms I can get out of a Tank full. Mind you, Getting stuck behind Road trains is annoying and they usually flick stones at the car, but I will try my best to limit overtaking. Will post my fuel consumption figures when I reach Lithgo. Cheers Gents..

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

The fuel light will come on well before you'd run your tank dry, so can't really tell how many ks you'd get on a full tank. But if your fuel consumption stays around 7.3-7.5l/100km, as I'd expect, you should be all good. My best ever figure on a long drive was 6.9l/100k, otherwise I usually sit in the low-mid 7s.

• Thanks 1

Greetings Members, 

I did my journey to Lithgo NSW,  from Toowoomba. I got 432 klms for a half tank. I also got down to 7.6 litres per 100 klms.

But most of the trip was around 8.4 litres. I filled up again at Coonabarrabran and drove to Lithgo on just under half tank again. So I'm pleaded with the fuel consumption. I guess a possible range of a bit over 800 klms for 70 litres is possible. Hopefully I'll do a little better on the journey back to QLD. Also, I used 95 Ron, Caltex. 

20200314_105251.jpg

Edited by Bigmike62

Another good aspect of having an Aurion over a Camry is how fuel efficient the V6 can be.

4 Cyl cars will strain up hills and chew the fuel, whereas the V6 pulls effortlessly. I love the feel of the V6 all day over a 4 cyl.

My wife drives ours mainly and she gets between 11 and 12 around town and she doesn't have the same right foot finesse as I do.

When I drive it around town I can get into the 9's and on the freeway I've had it between the 6's and 7's, so yeah I can't see why you can't get 700 klm to a tank if driven sensibly and on highway.

Don't forget also to keep tyres inflated to correct pressures to reduce rolling resistance. Every little bit helps lol..

Happy motoring everybody !!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Update gentlemen..

Drove back to QLD today. Car was faultless again.  Overtaking power so nice to have getting around Roadtrains.

Car did 448..klms for half tank.

And did well on quarter tank too. I think it's good for around 840 klms till light comes on..

Really enjoying this car. Glad I bought it. Great economy for a 6 cylinder. 

20200325_144613.jpg

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

Glad all went well Mike, and that you managed to get home safe and sound, even though we are all in isolation now my wife and I try to duck out for a drive just to feel an escape from 4 walls and still enjoy our Presara enjoying some nice tunes as we silently cruise the roads.

Stay Safe Mate..

KAA

• Thanks 1

Very nice Big Mike ! 👍

Glad you enjoyed the trip and made it back safely. If it were a four cylinder, I seriously doubt it would even come close to those figures.

I was always confident it would be light on fuel. Toyota built a magnificent engine in the 2GRFE. I love my Aurion !!

Let it be our little secret lol...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1