Aurion Oil Filter Housing Removal

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I think the co**** thread makes it idiot proof

You would think so but not from what I have read of someone's experience at a fast oil change place in the USA.

Sometimes I get the housing to spin on nice and smoothly first time but it usually takes a few attempts by hand to get it seated just right.

I can just imagine what can happen if it just shoved up and let loose with a rattle gun. Just another reason why I am DIY and take so much longer to do things.

I shudder the thought of ever having my car serviced at a dealer or others. They always seem to scratch, chip. mar or wreck something. My work vehicle is a prime case. I look after it like it's my own but the service guys treat them like crap, because they know it's a "Company Car"... I had to have a crack at the service guy one time for grazing the centre hub caps when removing the wheels. He puts the nuts in the huib cap and slides them under the car.. Nice one. Now they're all sporting graze marks. Now they know how to treat my car because I'll be after them lol..

Too many idiots in this world.

Also the knuckleheads at the tyre centre, never use those protective nylon sockets and always scratch the wheel nut wells. Drives me crazy ! Then they over torque the wheel nuts to buggery and I have to pop a vein in my head when I have to remove a wheel.

Why can't people just do a proper job.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I shudder the thought of ever having my car serviced at a dealer or others. They always seem to scratch, chip. mar or wreck something. My work vehicle is a prime case. I look after it like it's my own but the service guys treat them like crap, because they it's a "Company Car"... I had to have a crack at the service guy one time for grazing the centre hub caps when removing the wheels. He puts the nuts in the huib cap and slides them under the car.. Nice one. Now they're all sporting graze marks. Now they know how to treat my car because I'll be after them lol..

Too many idiots in this world.

Also the knuckleheads at the tyre centre, never use those protective nylon sockets and always scratch the wheel nut wells. Drives me crazy ! Then they over torque the wheels nuts to buggery and I have to pop a vein in my head when I have to remove a wheel.

Why can't people just do a proper job.

I remove my centre caps before the car goes in for anything. For this reason. And remove my wheels at home if its just needing new tyres. 

Edited by nzzr6

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

they over torque the wheel nuts to buggery and I have to pop a vein in my head when I have to remove a wheel.

I had this happen at a budget tyre centre. I saw the late arriving knicklehead [supposed tyre mechanic] up the torque on the rattle gun then retighten the wheel nuts. At the time I did not know enough to have a big temper tantrum when the car was squealing as I drove it off the ramps. My feeble protests at the time were waved aside. Many kms later when I got back to the girlfriend's place, I had a hard time loosening the wheel nuts. Squealing noise went away when the nuts were properly torqued to specification. Apparently overtorquing of wheel nuts can distort the wheel hubs to cause this squealing noise.

A few hard earned lessons learnt that day and those budget priced China brand GOODRIDE tyres with 90% tread have since been replaced never to return. Dumb penny pinching decision at that time. Only put new quality known brand tyres on your vehicle.

I agree. Tyres should be name brand quality. I've been using the Michelin Primacy LC tyres on my Aurion since We've owned it and I can't complain. They are very quiet and wear considerably well. If you have to pay a couple hundred more for a good set, it will be well worth it.

I am always researching and updating my reference material. Currently got Michelin Primacy 4 [New Generation 2018/9] on my short list but not expecting to be replacing tyres anytime in the near future.

Getting back on track with this thread, I am keen to find out how well your latest tool purchase performs in removing the housing.

I might even be tempted to buy one even though I have manage without so far.

11 hours ago, campbeam said:

Getting back on track with this thread, I am keen to find out how well your latest tool purchase performs in removing the housing.

I might even be tempted to buy one even though I have manage without so far.

My OMIK tool is on its way Ash. I will update everyone when it arrives cos I'm keen to swap out that filter.

Wish me luck !

In the meantime, I ended up ordering this different removal tool. Took your experience onboard and made sure that it was steel. Coming from China so should arrive well after your update.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Filter-Wrench-Removal-Socket-Hand-Tool-for-Toyota-Lexus-Scion/183772075837?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Just now, campbeam said:

In the meantime, I ended up ordering this different removal tool. Took your experience onboard and made sure that it was steel. Coming from China so should arrive well after your update.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Oil-Filter-Wrench-Removal-Socket-Hand-Tool-for-Toyota-Lexus-Scion/183772075837?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

I almost pulled the trigger on that one, or ones like it from China, but I didn't want to wait that long for it to arrive with all the shipping delays going on. No doubt it looks like it should do the trick being steel. Stay away from their "biscuit alloy" rubbish. Total waste.

The OMIK one I bought is a piece of art almost, beautifully machined from solid billet, strong  and it's Australian made. If ever there would be a Q.A. control test, my car would be it. I reckon he'd appreciate the feedback too.

Hopefully should see it a day this week.

19 hours ago, campbeam said:

I am always researching and updating my reference material. Currently got Michelin Primacy 4 [New Generation 2018/9] on my short list but not expecting to be replacing tyres anytime in the near future.

Excellent tyres by the way. I have driven around 15k km on my set and have no complaints. Extremely quiet and absorbs the bumps very well. Barely any wear on the front pair from what I can see.

• Thanks 1

I've yet to decide which ones I'll go with just yet. I've been riding on the LCs twice now and am thinking to go either Primacy 3 ST or Primacy 4. I'll do some research as I'd like to try something different.

Now.. back on topic..uhum..Did I say I had a new oil filter housing on the way ?? lol...

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

The OMIK one I bought is a piece of art almost, beautifully machined from solid billet, strong  and it's Australian made. If ever there would be a Q.A. control test, my car would be it. I reckon he'd appreciate the feedback too.

Agree, it does look great. A pity the eBay seller was charging $55 for the Aurion version but only $35 for other Toyota versions. From what I can gather, it appears that the OMIK tool grabs the bottom of the housing much like an oversized socket.

Also looked for an Australian seller for that steel removal tool but not prepared to pay double so I will wait.

Just now, campbeam said:

Agree, it does look great. A pity the eBay seller was charging $55 for the Aurion version but only $35 for other Toyota versions. From what I can gather, it appears that the OMIK tool grabs the bottom of the housing much like an oversized socket.

Also looked for an Australian seller for that steel removal tool but not prepared to pay double so I will wait.

I also enquired about the price difference too. He said that the $55 one has the 3/8 socket machined into it and the $35 one doesn't. Just has a hole in the centre.

I opted for the the extra. I guess it takes a lot more time to cut this in hence the extra charge. I don't really mind paying the bit extra. It looks like it will be a lifetime tool, unlike the throw away garbage I've been accustomed to lately...(not knocking the Kincrome either. It held up well over the last 7 or so oil services where Mr Dumb Dumb here over tightens his housing. It finally cried enough on the 8th 😁😁)

Yeah, you're also right in that it does act like an oversized socket. Machined to fit perfectly, no slop.

• Like 1

So not only did I receive my You Beaut, Oil filter housing removal tool earlier this afternoon, my other delivery from Toyota arrived too. The team at Sydney City Parts are Legends !

Purchased the Genuine Oil Filter Housing on the 6th, then on the 7th I purchased a Genuine water pump gasket ( it was very cheap and thought the heck) and they both arrived this afternoon. You can't get better than that. A big shout out to the Team at Sydney City Toyota who value their customers. I've purchased many times from them over the years and have nothing but praise for the level of professional courtesy. Awesome Team !

So I'll have another crack at it this weekend and hopefully get my housing off without too much drama. If in case I have to get creative, I have the spare one on hand. (Good thinking Ash !)

Pssst... Just quietly... If you look real close underneath the housing it even tells you what to torque it too hahahahahahaa !!

25Nm.... not 22225Nm !!

I can't believe I missed that lol !!

20200408_173459.jpg

20200408_173554.jpg

20200408_173610.jpg

20200408_173634.jpg

20200408_173806.jpg

20200408_173818.jpg

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the update Tony, Always good to find a place that does care and goes out of their way to make customers happy..and now you have something to keep the brain ticking over during these scary days ..myself I have done a full interior clean of our Presara..hours spent detailing everything I could clean a slow methodical cleaning of vents, cleaned out glove box, interior glass,the rear privacy screen slowly with soft suction on the vacuum..it now smells wonderful and looks perfectly clean..shame all it gets now is a fast run to do essential shopping but at least it allowed me something to do. Thanks for the Pic's as well and yes does say 25+- Nm..i also never noticed that before

Learn something new every day mate

Hugs and Keep Safe

KAA

• Thanks 1

Glad you learned something lol. It was news to me when I saw that and I've had the car for what 6 years now ? 

Detailing is my 2nd love. Nice to see you get into the nitty gritty detailing with the vents etc. That's me all over.

I have an a pretty awesome ****nal of detailing equipment and products. Kranzle 1152 TST pressure washer ( best machine money can buy, believe me) Big Boi blower, Flex dual action polisher, 2 bucket wash, grit guards, hose guards(these go under you tyres so the hose doesn't snag as you go around the car), various wash mitts, and many other things such as Polishes, sealants, polishing pads etc Too much to list.. I'm going off topic again..

• Like 1

You have demonstrated to us the limitation of those aluminium housing removal tools.

When the going gets tough, that is when you need the right professional quality tools. 

On 4/10/2020 at 12:23 PM, campbeam said:

You have demonstrated to us the limitation of those aluminium housing removal tools.

When the going gets tough, that is when you need the right professional quality tools. 

And how true this statement Ashley.

Ladies & Gentlemen.......... drum roll.... drrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...

I got the damn Housing OFF !!

OMIK tools have come through. That cam action tool was rubbish so don't anyone waste your time buying one.

My wife got home and I backed it up into our driveway, set it up on ramps and summoned all my courage and strength.

Man oh man it was on super tight and I think with the engine being hot, it helped. I heaved as hard as I could and then I heard a "Crack". Momentarily I thought NO !! not the OMIK tool breaking. No. The crack was the housing coming loose. What a huge relief !! The tool wasn't even scarred. Wow, That is testament to quality.

I loaded a new filter, slid on the new lubed O-Ring the then hand tightened, then nipped up to 25Nm. Topped up with some 500ml of 5w -30 and happy Days  !!

20200415_171220.jpg

20200415_171536.jpg

20200415_171549.jpg

20200415_172244.jpg

20200415_172653.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy

Good news that the OMIK tool did the trick. 

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That cam action tool was rubbish so don't anyone waste your time buying one.

Going to disagree. It is fantastic for getting off spin on filters. Use one all the time for that purpose. Like a lot of other DIY, I have acquired a wide range of oil filter removal tools and this cam action tool is really effective when you do not have much room. 

I heaved as hard as I could and then I heard a "Crack".

Well that sound is evidence of how overtorqued the housing was. Right decision to buy the OMIK tool which has a good fit to the base of the housing. Sometimes you have to bring out the "big guns" to get the desired results.

hand tightened, then nipped up to 25Nm.

Getting the housing off next time should be so easy. 3/8"ratchet drive direct into the housing drain plug should be able to loosen the housing. See what happens next time as to whether you still want to tighten it to 25Nm or are satisfied just hand tightening it.

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Going to disagree. It is fantastic for getting off spin on filters. Use one all the time for that purpose. Like a lot of other DIY, I have acquired a wide range of oil filter removal tools and this cam action tool is really effective when you do not have much room. 

I should clarify. It was no good for the Aurion filter housing as it doesn't have the purchase required. As the cam action closes the claw it reaches full travel and is still loose. It doesn't grab on. It would be better suited for the regular spin on oil filter Ash, yes. It's ok, It's like you say, another handy tool in the collection. It may come in handy some other day.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

Well that sound is evidence of how overtorqued the housing was. Right decision to buy the OMIK tool which has a good fit to the base of the housing. Sometimes you have to bring out the "big guns" to get the desired results.

More like the sound of stupidity on my behalf. Sheesh ! What was I thinking all this time.. I had to push off with my right foot on the tyre to get full power. It kind of reminded me trying to get my wheel nuts off post Bob Jane visit lol...

Getting the housing off next time should be so easy. 3/8"ratchet drive direct into the housing drain plug should be able to loosen the housing. See what happens next time as to whether you still want to tighten it to 25Nm or are satisfied just hand tightening it

I'm guessing 25Nm is almost hand tight with a touch of a "nip" up. I know now that it will definitely be much easier to remove next time. 

I can look forward to my next oil change and feel more confident getting it done with no further dramas. What a saga that was..

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I had to push off with my right foot on the tyre to get full power. It kind of reminded me trying to get my wheel nuts off post Bob Jane visit lol...

That is a serious leverage effort.

When my wheel nuts were seriously overtorqued, I ended up putting a brick under the other end of the wheel brace then bounced up and down on the wheel brace which fortunately did not break.Sometimes being overweight can be handy.   

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

no further dramas.

The OMIK tool has done its job.

2 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Sometimes being overweight can be handy

:biggrin:

3 minutes ago, campbeam said:

The OMIK tool has done its job.

What a big relief too. I didn't have to go Medieval on it either..So now I have a spare filter housing.