Aurion Oil Filter Housing Removal

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

And I thought I was bad....

Only bad enough to get the Torque Wrench Gorilla award.

That must be a quite recent Scotty video. He is not a fan of the oil filter housing and cartridge set up. Not a smart move for that customer to have used a chisel. If I was going to go Neanderthal on a housing I would be lining up an extension bar with one of the side flanges then giving the bar a few taps with a 7lb hammer to try and impact drive it loose. Hopefully without breaking off the side flanges.

Extreme last resort scenario would be to drill holes through the sides of the housing then insert a long steel bar as a lever. Somewhat equivalent to driving a screwdriver though a stubborn spin on oil filter to get it off. I may have only had to do that once and fortunately it worked.

11 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Only bad enough to get the Torque Wrench Gorilla award.

:laugh::thumbup:

Yes, that guy was mad chiseling his way through. The housing, I like actually, but we need to know how to use it correctly.... :biggrin:

23 minutes ago, nzzr6 said:

On some Toyota models they actually use a plastic version of that same housing. Now imagine getting that off 

No worries. Where is that chisel or drill and the metal replacement available on eBay and Amazon?

6 minutes ago, campbeam said:

No worries. Where is that chisel or drill and the metal replacement available on eBay and Amazon?

Haha. Thats the spirit

1 hour ago, nzzr6 said:

On some Toyota models they actually use a plastic version of that same housing. Now imagine getting that off 

I think it was the Corolla models and I do recall the U.S. Camry V6 has the plastic housing.

16 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

Have some fun reading this thread. Plenty of posts about using breaker bars, links for removal tools and the housing being overtightened at the dealership.

Persevere and you will be rewarded with some detailed photos of a damaged plastic housing.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/learn-from-my-mistake-replace-plastic-oil-filter-housing-with-metal.545972/

This is as far as I read in the thread.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/learn-from-my-mistake-replace-plastic-oil-filter-housing-with-metal.545972/page-5

I managed to get through all 8 pages Ash. Wow, they have some fun over there with their plastic housings. I like what the guy did with his remote filter set up. That's someone who is properly fed up with housing issues hahahaha !!

I am looking forward to my next oil change to welcome a nice transition to "easy" removal. 25Nm isn't all that much, so it shouldn't be an issue.

I wonder if there are any local dealership horror stories here...

Anyone had their car serviced at Toyota recently ?

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Have some fun reading this thread. Plenty of posts about using breaker bars, links for removal tools and the housing being overtightened at the dealership.

Persevere and you will be rewarded with some detailed photos of a damaged plastic housing.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/learn-from-my-mistake-replace-plastic-oil-filter-housing-with-metal.545972/

This is as far as I read in the thread.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/learn-from-my-mistake-replace-plastic-oil-filter-housing-with-metal.545972/page-5

I had a look under our 2016 RAV4. Yep, it has the plastic housing lol. Why oh why....

Just had its last free service too.

18 minutes ago, nzzr6 said:

I had a look under our 2016 RAV4. Yep, it has the plastic housing lol. Why oh why....

Just had its last free service too.

I think the plastic ones are ok provided you don't make the same mistake I made by over tightening it. Hand tight should see it last well in to the foreseeable future.

Is your RAV 4 a V6 ?

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I think the plastic ones are ok provided you don't make the same mistake I made by over tightening it. Hand tight should see it last well in to the foreseeable future.

Is your RAV 4 a V6 ?

Hopefully its not overtorqued. Its only ever been serviced at the dealer since it was new

Its the 2.0L 4 cyl CVT. No V6 was offered on the RAV4 after the 2011 model year as far as I know (in the USA)

Edited by nzzr6