2009 Aurion Engine oil..

Greetings Gents, I cannot find the other topic about Aurion Oil and spec, I know I've seen it but can't locate it. So I'm starting this topic about my experiences with Penrite 5w40 Engine oil. I decided to go with Penrite based on 2 things, it's Australian made and owned and Because of the spec of fully synthetic 5w40. This will be the first oil change I have done since owning it for 2 months. Don't know what was previously used in it, probably multi grade I'd say. Bought 6 litres of this penrite for $72 at repco, also bought a 1ltr. So have 7 ltrs for the mechanic to fill the 6.1 Ltr  oil requirement. I will post my observations periodically about how the car feels and the  consumption,etc. 

Screenshot_20200218-152351_Carsales.jpg

Your owners manual will specify the spec, afaik it's 5W30 for the 2GR-FE & you'd get the latest version being SN GF5. 40 weight is OK I guess cos you live in banana country ;)

• Thanks 1

Definately stick with 5w-30. The 2GR-FE has pretty tight tolerances so the thinner oil will help it all circulate correctly. 

I use the Nulon product and have always just used the 6lt. Be frugal and get as much of it out and it will be fine.

It fills it to full on the dip stick. No need to waste money on the that extra 1lt for the 100ml you really don't need. Then you've got 900ml sitting around absorbing moisture and by the time the 3rd oil change comes around, it would've gone off by then..

Wait till they go on special and you can get the 6lt for around 48 bucks as opposed to full mug retail of $78 +

• Thanks 1

Agree that using 5 W-30 is the way to go, i have only ever used it since having our Presara..I also Use Nulon in all the cars I have owned as i have always found their oils excellent quality..i would suggest as you have already made the purchase of the 7 litres use it and think about using the 5W-30 next time..as the heat up your way is going up each year, the difference should not be an issue with the 5W-40

Enjoy your Presara..as we have never ever looked back after buying ours they are beautiful to drive

KAA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A full synthetic oil is definitely the way to go especially for longer interval oil changes. Just happened to be looking at the electronic version of the service manual and the recommendation is 5W-30 for performance and fuel economy. However, I am sure that the Australian owners manual has a number of different oil viscosity ranges.

I do recall reading about a higher oil viscosity for engine wear protection.

I have recently looked at some YouTube videos comparing oils with the same viscosity and their flow rate. Appears that the different additive package enables a better flow rate when I was expecting the flow rate to be the same for oils with the same viscosity.

All food for thought.

Hopefully later in the year, when I am able to go for my annual road trip Brisbane to Wagga Wagga, travelling on the highway with outside temperature of 35C plus and the air-conditioning on max. I will probably have 10W-40 oil in the engine. However, I was thinking about using 5W-30 for the next oil change but winter has yet to arrive in Brisbane.

• Thanks 1

Thanks for your opinions Gents..I checked the Toyota manual and it seemed to me that 5w30 was better suited to colder climates...I could have chosen nulon also I guess, just Penrite seemed to have good reviews. Also thier website live selector said this spec was suitable ? They have this extra 10 theology going on, it's saying that at higher ambient temperatures a higher viscosity is better for reduced friction !! I'm telling you this oil subject has done my head in a bit. If I see reduced economy and higher oil usage between changes, I'll turf it for Nulon 5w30. In the mean time I'll pass on my observations here till next service. I'm going to do 6 monthly services on oil each year, I've decided. Cheers Gents.. 😀

• Like 2

You may want to give some thoughts as to how you are foing to record your observations.

I check my oil level weekly so I can readily notice the oil on the dipstick changing from being clear to a slightly golden colour.

Nothing like a series of photos to substantiate your observations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

Thanks for your opinions Gents..I checked the Toyota manual and it seemed to me that 5w30 was better suited to colder climates...I could have chosen nulon also I guess, just Penrite seemed to have good reviews. Also thier website live selector said this spec was suitable ? They have this extra 10 theology going on, it's saying that at higher ambient temperatures a higher viscosity is better for reduced friction !! I'm telling you this oil subject has done my head in a bit. If I see reduced economy and higher oil usage between changes, I'll turf it for Nulon 5w30. In the mean time I'll pass on my observations here till next service. I'm going to do 6 monthly services on oil each year, I've decided. Cheers Gents.. 😀

You should be fine with 5w40. On my wife's 2013 Aurion I'm using 5w30, on my 2008 I've been using 5w30, 10w30 and 5w40 and they're both just fine. Currently going through the Valvoline Synpower 5w40 bottles from my oil stash, then I'll probably switch to Castrol Edge 10w30. As long as you change the oil and filter on time you'll be ok with any group III synthetic oil, chase the sales and stock up when you feel like. And don't skimp on the filters, over here Toyota OEM from the nearby dealer here happen to be cheaper than Ryco.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hi everyone. I've been using Penrite HPR 5 Engine Oil - 5W-40 6 Litre https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/search?q=Penrite+HPR+5+Engine+Oil+&lang=en_AU for many years now, first in my Aurion and now in my Kluger. It was recommended by the shop staff and to be honest, it does the trick for me. I don't know much about oils but to me, the car seems to idle/drive smoother when I change to this oil.

It's a little expensive at full retail but you can often pick it up on special for $45 - $50 and I think it's the most cost effective way of maintaining the Aurion's engine. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, AurionX2 said:

don't skimp on the filters

I buy my filters in bulk on eBay and I occassionally change the filter cartridge before the oil change is required. Because of accumulated oil sludge in the engine, I have been regularly checking and cleaning the oil filter cartridge. Not doing it as often as before.

1 hour ago, Kombi17 said:

I think it's the most cost effective way of maintaining the Aurion's engine.

Quality oils and regular oil changes are a given. I do an oil and filter changes more regularly than most because my driving is mainly short distance. Also because I am DIY with a big stash of oil [bought on special] and filter cartridges, I can change my oil more often. It would be a different story if I was having to pay someone else.

54 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I buy my filters in bulk on eBay and I occasionally change the filter cartridge before the oil change is required. Because of accumulated oil sludge in the engine, I have been regularly checking and cleaning the oil filter cartridge. Not doing it as often as before.

I haven't thought about that one Ash. So you can change the filter cartridge without having to drop the oil. That's a good idea. The oil filter housing is higher up and you'd only lose the oil that's just in it then.

If you recall my dilemma removing my filter housing last oil service due to my stupid over tightening of the housing... I wasn't able to replace the cartridge and had no choice but to leave it in there and put the new oil in.

I'm gonna have another crack at it and see if I can get it off while it's stone cold. Replace the filter then top it up.

I love this forum !!

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1

Kombi17....

Good to hear that Penrite 5W40 has been going well in your Aurion and Kluger. It's been a hard choice with s o many allegedly good full synthetic oils out there. Buying Australian was important to me, even though there were cheaper alternatives. I look forward to driving the car with this new oil.

Cheers 

Screenshot_20200404-075707_Chrome.jpg

SCA_14911_hi-res.jpg

Just now, Tony Prodigy said:

Hey BigMike. Don't take as Gospel the recommended use from parts suppliers. They can be wrong sometimes, not that the Penrite is a wrong choice here. I'd probably use it too. I Started using the Nulon 5w-30 since I bought my car and it had 40k on the clock. It's now nearly 120K and all is good. Doesn't burn a drop. The dipstick always reads full even before I drop the old oil, so that may say something for the Nulon product. I'm like you and most here, I want to support Australian made as much as I can and looks like we all are doing our bit to keep what's left for our Country.

• Thanks 1

Hi Tony Prodigy, thanks for your advices and opinion. Actually, I had a C36 AMG Mercedes years ago and ran that on nulon. It was very smooth and in my mind, improved it's performance. I will use this Penrite now that I've spent $100 buying it, if it burns oil too much, I will dump the Penrite and go with Nulon 5w30. Glad your Aurion has benefited from the long use of Nulon. I always try to source Australian made products where possible.

Cheers

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

like you and most here, I want to support Australian made as much as I can and looks like we all are doing our bit to keep what's left for our Country.

I mainly buy my engine oil on special at SuperCheap. Main criteria is the viscosity 5W/10W-30/40 and oil specification e.g. ILSAC GF-5.

Penrite, Nulon and GulfWestern being Australian are my preferences. 

http://www.gulfwestern.com.au/about-us/  

• Thanks 1

On 4/3/2020 at 5:32 PM, campbeam said:

I do recall reading about a higher oil viscosity for engine wear protection.

After reading the following URLs, I am quite happy with the using a higher viscosity oil for engine wear protection especially in extreme driving conditions. 

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a53/what-oil-does-my-car-take/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

After reading the following URLs, I am quite happy with the using a higher viscosity oil for engine wear protection especially in extreme driving conditions. 

https://www.machinerylubrication.com/Read/518/motor-oils

https://www.popularmechanics.com/cars/car-technology/a53/what-oil-does-my-car-take/

I tend to agree Ash. Also for those higher mileage cars, the 5w-40 makes sense, in addition to extreme driving conditions.

23 hours ago, Bigmike62 said:

Kombi17....

Good to hear that Penrite 5W40 has been going well in your Aurion and Kluger. It's been a hard choice with s o many allegedly good full synthetic oils out there. Buying Australian was important to me, even though there were cheaper alternatives. I look forward to driving the car with this new oil.

Cheers 

Screenshot_20200404-075707_Chrome.jpg

SCA_14911_hi-res.jpg

Yep, that's exactly the one I use, I buy the 6 litres one. I am not mechanically minded at all but I can change the oil at least.

In between 6 monthly servicing at the dealership, I change the oil myself (but not the filter). This means my Kluger (which uses the same engine as the Aurion) gets it's engine oil changed every 3 months and oil filter changed every 6 months. Needless to say, I've never had oil sludge issues and it may be just my imagination but I do feel the engine is a bit smoother when I change to this oil. 

Yes, it is overkill to change the oil 4 times a year but I only buy it when it is on special and I think it's a much more cost effective way to look after the engine than some other methods such buying premium unleaded petrol which I don't do anymore. 

• Like 1

The Penrite HPR5 is a slightly better oil than the Nulon but there's not much in it imo. I've been using the Nulon 5W30 LongLife Dexos (down here in the arctic state) since late 2016 when I had my old Camry V6 with the 1MZ-FE & now my much newer Aurion which uses the same oil. As other do, I stock up when it's on sale & find it a fine Full Synthetic oil to use. Will go 15K kms without any issue but me being a fusspot will change out at 7.5K kms. Suspect most oils will be just fine providing it's the right spec.

• Thanks 1

Put it this way. Had I started using Penrite from the beginning, I probably would've stuck with it.

If I remember correctly, my choice for the Nulon was that it was the spec I was looking for, also being a full synthetic, It  made me feel good knowing I was supporting an Australian company. I do mine every 10k, and always under never over. Sometimes it can be around 9ish or so kays and the oil looks like it will go another 5000 kays. Not that I would, I'm not stingy when it comes to maintenance. I lavish all my cars and they love me, hahahaha...

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm not stingy when it comes to maintenance. I lavish all my cars and they love me, hahahaha...

Only way to maintain reliabilty is plenty of maintenance and regular checking under the bonnet particularly when you have an older vehicle. Oil is cheap when an engine failure or major repairs can mean scrapping your vehicle.

• Thanks 1

I recently checked my remaining oil "stash" for doing maintenance over Easter.

I now have lots of 5W-40 and 5W-30, various brands on special over the past few years all with the ILSAC GF-5 oil specification.

Is it OCD? That's after going through the Valvoline Synpower 5w30 and 5w40 bottles. Very good oil this Synpower btw. My wife's 2013 is on Nulon 5w30 exclusively, but on mine I put whatever I can get my hands on from the stash, almost always end up with frankenbrews from 2, sometimes 3 different grades or manufacturers. Damn 6.1 litres, whoever came up with this capacity :))

20200413_213430.jpg

Edited by AurionX2