What maintenance over this Easter period?

campbeam

Due to the current COVID-19 situation, we should be staying home this Easter unlike other years. I am going to keeping busy with some preventative maintenance on my "mechanical girlfriends". Planning plenty of fluid checks and changes. Already prepared with all the necessary parts. Bought an oil filter for another vehicle last Sunday. Possibly also do a brake fluid change now rather than later in the year. 

• Like 1

I'll be road testing my new oil filter housing removal tool Ash. It arrived today from OMIK.

It's so beautifully crafted I don't want to use it but I have too. 😁😁

Made in Straya mate !!

Comes in a special box too. 

20200408_162055.jpg

20200408_162131.jpg

20200408_162151.jpg

20200408_163414.jpg

Nothing like having the right quality tools for the job. In my earlier days, I could not really appreciate the difference between sockets until I broke one tightening cylinder head bolts. Overcompensated by having lots of socket sets with lifetime warranty.

Giving serious thought to dropping the transmission oil pan on my standby Aurion and doing an ATF flush.

Lots of other planned tasks on 4 vehicles which I will not say at the moment. Rather say later what I actually did. 

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Nothing like having the right quality tools for the job. In my earlier days, I could not really appreciate the difference between sockets until I broke one tightening cylinder head bolts. Overcompensated by having lots of socket sets with lifetime warranty.

I was the same Ash. In my younger days working on cars, all I had was my Dad's Sidchrome socket set with ring spanners and open ends in the one box. (I Still have it and it was when Sidchrome was made in Australia too) along with a mish mash of other cheaper tools. We had to improvise alot too as we couldn't afford fancy stuff or mechanical aids. It was all hard work, but it was great fun. I loved working on cars. I was already into rebuilds even during my HSC years back in 88 - 89.

I'll have to post up some pics of my Original Sidchrome set one day. My Father,for someone who isn't mechanically inclined being a carpenter/welder, had the presence  of miind to buy a quality Socket set that has remained since the 70s.

Now as adults and with more disposable income I can buy all the nice things I never had or couldn't afford. One benefit of adulthood I guess.

Yes. Humble beginnings for all of us.

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

with more disposable income I can buy all the nice things

Nice OMIK tool. I searched eBay and could not find an equivalent quality product for less $$$

As for disposable income, it comes back to a lot of factors especially lifestyle choices and work ethic.

Always remember being in the garage with my Dad when a fellow from down the street went by saying to my Dad how lucky he was to have all those tools. Dad said to me "Look at him cigarette in hand and going to the TAB. That is where he spends his money". 

Also being DIY helps to make the most of your disposable income.

42 minutes ago, campbeam said:

As for disposable income, it comes back to a lot of factors especially lifestyle choices and work ethic.

Always remember being in the garage with my Dad when a fellow from down the street went by saying to my Dad how lucky he was to have all those tools. Dad said to me "Look at him cigarette in hand and going to the TAB. That is where he spends his money". 

Also being DIY helps to make the most of your disposable income.

I agree 100%. Lifestyle choices absolutely mate.

Your Dad was a wise man, instilled in you from a young age what NOT to do with your life. Work ethic is very important. It reveals what kind of attitude you possess and from this you'll derive respect.

• Thanks 1

Just removed and replaced the transmission pan on my standby Aurion Prodigy which has 109000km on the odometer. Surprising [to me] sludge build up was only on the magnets. When I did my Aurion ATX [166000km] there was lots of sludge build up all over the bottom of the pan.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Just removed and replaced the transmission pan on my standby Aurion Prodigy which has 109000km on the odometer. Surprising [to me] sludge build up was only on the magnets. When I did my Aurion ATX [166000km] there was lots of sludge build up all over the bottom of the pan.

Good for you Ash. I am still hoping to that job soon, once I get passed a few other things first.

I decided to do the brake fluid flush, so I put the car up on axle stands and removed all the wheels for easy access. To my horror, I didn't realise how dirty it was getting underneath so that was next on the agenda for today.

So I rigged up my pressure bleeder and set about flushing with 1 lt of DOT 4 fluid.

20200411_081750.jpg

20200411_091324.jpg

20200411_091309.jpg

20200411_091339.jpg

Front pads will need replacing soon too. Didn't get a chance to check the rears today, but will do this tomorrow as it's still on axle stands for the time being. Not going anywhere anyway..

This will give me an opportunity to try out those Remsa pads too. I'm guessing maybe another 3 months. What you reckon guys ?

Had me also thinking the last time I replaced these and I went back and had a look. It was October 14th 2017 !! Wow, how time flies !

2 years and 7 months. Seem to have lasted ok in my opinion.

20200411_080354.thumb.jpg.f394cffc53123f2c3412f8a9392cca08.jpg

Last replaced.png

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Added Screenshot

My plan for today was to do a full detail inside and out as it's been a while since i've been able to get to it. I vacuumed the insides, washed the matts, cleaned the leather (including steering wheel), and then cleaned all the hard surfaces with Meguiars interior cleaner. That's the inside sorted.

Next was to do a full and proper clean of all the under/ inner arches and both sides of the wheels. I needed wheel cleaner for the barrels as they were pretty dirty. These wheels have a raw alloy for the barrel so the brake dust tends to cling. I use a non acid wheel cleaner. Much safer.

Then I tackled the inner guards cleaning everything in sight. I figured I'd do this before putting the wheels back on so it's done properly. I'm only posting up the before shots for now as It's still not quite done yet. I plan to give the rest of the car a pressure wash tomorrow, aqua wax it, then apply plastic sealant/dressing to the inner guards etc.

She was pretty dirty..

20200411_074653.jpg

20200411_074706.jpg

20200411_074712.jpg

20200411_074719.jpg

20200411_074725.jpg

20200411_074947.jpg

20200411_074955.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy

These are just the front wheels. The barrels aren't powder coated but rather just raw alloy and the brake dust tends to cling. You'll need a proper wheel cleaner to get these clean, believe me. I wasn't able to get right into the back of the spokes, but it's good enough i think.

20200411_110007.jpg

20200411_110011.jpg

20200411_110340.jpg

20200411_110223.jpg

20200411_111547.jpg

20200411_111556.jpg

20200411_112050.jpg

20200411_111955.jpg

• Like 1

Front pads will need replacing soon too. Didn't get a chance to check the rears today, but will do this tomorrow as it's still on axle stands for the time being. Not going anywhere anyway..

This will give me an opportunity to try out those Remsa pads too. I'm guessing maybe another 3 months. What you reckon guys ?

Most certainly buy some front pads in the next few months ready for when you want to change the pads.

I am expecting that the rear pads will be in better condition and will easily last out another set of front pads, maybe 2 sets. 

The barrels aren't powder coated but rather just raw alloy and the brake dust tends to cling.

Just a thought but can you apply a polish/sealant to make it easier to clean them next time. 

As intended, I have given 2 "backyard queens" an engine flush and oil and filter change. Flushed the auto transmission. Cleaned the oil filter cartridge on my Aurion ATX and will leave the oil and filter change until later/due. That was enough for today and ended up having a nap. 

Tony's photos have reminded me that I should really properly check the brake pads by removing the calipers. 

• Like 2

TY Guys more ideas to keep the brain active..will do my wheels now inside and out..bought the wheel alloy cleaner a while back but not used it yet so time it got used, I decided to fully clean and protect all the leather today so like you ash took a nap after a few hours of scrubbing and wiping and polishing, our old girl looks like she just rolled off the line now..all i need now is a chance to take it out for a spin..as food is getting low and down to the last roll of toilet paper I hope it will be next week, not that i expect to find the toilet paper but never know

Hugs and Stay Safe

KAA

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just a thought but can you apply a polish/sealant to make it easier to clean them next time. 

That's exactly what I did. A friend of mine who's also into detailing gave me a bottle of Turtle wax shine 'n' seal to try out.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/turtle-wax-turtle-wax-hyb-seal-n-shine-473ml/573164.html

I applied two coats to both sides after the wheels had dried of course. You can feel the slickness now. It's hard, almost impossible to do this while the wheels are on, so When I have the opportunity to do some wheel off maintenance, I tend to follow the same regiment.

Admittedly, the outside of the wheels get a lashing of Meguiars Aqua wax during the drying phase of the car itself. It not only acts as a drying aid (using a quality microfibre towel) but adds that layer of protection over and above the sealant already put on the paintwork. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Meguiars-3-78lt-Synthetic-X-press-Spray-Wax-D15601/142952513264?hash=item2148a23ef0:g:XHMAAOSwFYJbyQWs

Tony's photos have reminded me that I should really properly check the brake pads by removing the calipers. 

I tried peeking in through the sides but I had no chance. It was off with the caliper. I didn't torque these back to spec the last time I did the brakes,(just tightened firmly)  if you all recall, and so I thought I'd do it this time just to see how much tension it really requires. So out came my 1/2" drive torque wrench and due to it's longish size I found it difficult to position inside the wheel well. I did manage to find a sweet spot for both bolts and torqued to 79 ft lbs. I think this is correct. I looked it up online. Happy to be corrected if it's wrong.

I'm going to buy a smaller torque wrench for such situations.

4 hours ago, KAA said:

TY Guys more ideas to keep the brain active..will do my wheels now inside and out..bought the wheel alloy cleaner a while back but not used it yet so time it got used

It's something most never bother with, but for me it's almost like a ritual. I don't always remove the wheels just to clean them. Maintenance time allows me to do a more thorough job that's all. During my maintenance wash I use a barrel brush to be able to get in there and this also gives the calipers a decent going over.

These are some of the brushes I use.

20161015_114557.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It's something most never bother with

Terrible but I have never bothered with detailing my vehicles. It does get the occasional hose down to wash off the bird droppings. However I do clean the glass and headlights. Recently, I have been applying Rain-X to the glass.

Focus of my attention/efforts is upon safety and mechanical efficiency and reliability. 

Interesting to see the high level of detail and attention that goes into properly detailing a vehicle. 

Hi guys, I don't have the space in my carport to do wheel cleaning, so instead,  I'll give the car a good wash and then Use Maguirers leather conditioner on all the leather interior bits. Im used to looking after my leather seats well on each car I own. I like knowing the leather is clean and supple. Guess I'm a bit compulsive when it comes to keeping a clean car. 😆

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling
  • Like 1

Removed the brake calipers front and rear on the passenger side only. Brake pads are as new even the rear. Probably good for about 2 years. Should have also checked the driver side but getting a bit hot now.

The supervisor [girlfriend's dog] left and went inside. Can't have people saying the dog is smarter than me. lol Also feeling a bit sluggish after a big breakfast. Shower and coffee time. Maybe listen to some music.

Mowing time this afternoon.

• Thanks 1

Question...sorry I realise your not talking directly about this, but you have mentioned brakes..

Once I do the front Rotors and pads, what is the usual service life in years before next replacement, given I am very gentle on the brakes. 

Cheers

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling

I am also very gentle on the brakes. I drive smoothly so it is a rare event for me to do any hard or emergency braking.

From your posts, I know that you have already purchased the Bendix Ultimate pads. Expect them to last 3 years/50000 kms as a benchmark estimate. As for the front rotors, assuming they are OEM quality or better, expect them to outlast 2-3 sets of brake pads/150000 kms. 

These estimates do not apply to those "boy racers" who will burn up their brake pads and rotors plus wearing out a set of new tyres within 12 months. 

• Thanks 1