What maintenance over this Easter period?

campbeam

Thanks Campbeam, wow, I'm surprised the Rotors will last that long..thanks so much for your opinion.The Rotors I'm ordering are "DBA - T2", slotted. Slightly better than standard I believe. I want good brakes and am prepared to pay a bit more to get that. All up, the cost will be about $550 fitted..I think that's reasonable, I have medical reasons for not doing it myself. 

1 hour ago, Bigmike62 said:

Thanks Campbeam, wow, I'm surprised the Rotors will last that long..thanks so much for your opinion.The Rotors I'm ordering are "DBA - T2", slotted. Slightly better than standard I believe. I want good brakes and am prepared to pay a bit more to get that. All up, the cost will be about $550 fitted..I think that's reasonable, I have medical reasons for not doing it myself. 

If I lived near you BigMike I'd come and help you do the brakes no problem. It's an easy job. Ashley was on the money too with brake pad/rotor longevity.

I checked my fronts yesterday during my wheel off situation and this morning I checked my rears. My fronts have so far 2 years and 7 months on them and my rears, believe it or not are still the originals and look to have around 30 % left. So 3 years for the fronts is achievable if the car isn't driven by a maniac, which of course the Gentlemen we are, they aren't. lol..

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Terrible but I have never bothered with detailing my vehicles. It does get the occasional hose down to wash off the bird droppings. However I do clean the glass and headlights. Recently, I have been applying Rain-X to the glass.

Focus of my attention/efforts is upon safety and mechanical efficiency and reliability. 

Interesting to see the high level of detail and attention that goes into properly detailing a vehicle. 

It's the OCD in me Ashley. I got the clean freak bug from my Mum. Couple this with my love for anything with a motor and whammo !

I also use Rain - X on my Glass.I also clean the wiper blades really well then apply rain x to them also.

I first use the 2 in 1 to clean, then I apply Rain - x water repellent. You can literally drive on rainy days and Never use the wipers. That's how slick this stuff is. It's the closest you're going to get unless you go the next step and that's to ceramic coat the glass. That's truly spectacular !! 

• Like 2

Ok, It's done ! I finally finished the big detail.

Gave it a nice bath this morning, foam cannoned the entire vehicle, including the engine bay (yes, I wrapped the alternator with a plastic bag) and then began the decontamination process. Allowing the foam to create an emulsion, I pressure cleaned it down, then did the two bucket hand wash as I've always done.

The surface had what we refer to as, fallout contamination, which makes it feel like sandpaper, a little rough. For this I used a clay mitt, using the clean wash detergent, you go back and fourth until it feels smooth. This removes all the iron and other airborne contamination. 

Then another pressure clean, and it's time for my favourite part. Aqua wax. Using a dry and clean microfibre towel, I spray a few sprays onto the towel to pre lube it, then I spray one panel at a time (whilst wet) and then proceed to dry. As you dry, you apply spray wax and this in turn puts a layer of sealant on the paint. It will make it slick to resist even bird droppings and makes the next wash a breeze as the dirt doesn't cling as much.

After the car was dried, i pulled out my Big Boi air dryer and blow dried the engine bay and all the nooks and crannies where water just loves to sit. This was very satisfying.

After the car was fully dried I then dressed all the inner guards and hoses with a Meguiars rubber/vinyl and plastic protector. The brake hoses really benefit form this as does the suspension bushes. After the inners were done, I remounted all the wheel and torqued to 76 ft lbs. Nice.

I had a lunch break, then after did the glass treatment. It's finally done.

Here are some pics of today's exciting work.

20200412_074742.jpg

20200412_074750.jpg

20200412_075318.jpg

20200412_075128.jpg

20200412_075143.jpg

20200412_075200.jpg

20200412_075325.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 2

WOW..Tony what a fantastic job mate..it looks brand new..thanks for all the Pic's..show just how OCD can benefit a great car LOL..and these days OCD is all of us right now..i must look at getting one of those clay mitts as i love the end product really brought out the gleam of the paint..you can now rest a few days and recover until you think of something else..

Stay Safe Mate

KAA

• Like 1

Just now, KAA said:

WOW..Tony what a fantastic job mate..it looks brand new..thanks for all the Pic's..show just how OCD can benefit a great car LOL..and these days OCD is all of us right now..i must look at getting one of those clay mitts as i love the end product really brought out the gleam of the paint..you can now rest a few days and recover until you think of something else..

Stay Safe Mate

KAA

Thanks for your kind words Robert. Go online and research clay bar and clay mitt procedure before you dive in. Knowledge is key.

• Like 1

One of my favourite lines from Kingswood Country was Ted Bullpit saying that he was going to shampoo the battery. 

Fantastic effort and I really noted how clean was the engine bay. I am an "under the bonnet" sort of guy. Bit hard to tell from a photo how good those rear brake pads really are until you remove the caliper. Most likely looking "as new".

Just now, campbeam said:

One of my favourite lines from Kingswood Country was Ted Bullpit saying that he was going to shampoo the battery. 

Fantastic effort and I really noted how clean was the engine bay. I am an "under the bonnet" sort of guy. Bit hard to tell from a photo how good those rear brake pads really are until you remove the caliper. Most likely looking "as new".

Hahaha.. Kingswood Country. An old favourite of mine..

"Pickle me Grandmother, Not the Kingswood, I just glad wrapped the number plates " !!!! :laugh:

The rear brakes have around 5mm left. I think I'll just do both front and rears. I'll check the fronts again in a few months, but I'll definitely order the pads in the meantime and be ready to pounce. 

2 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

The rear brakes have around 5mm left. I think I'll just do both front and rears. I'll check the fronts again in a few months, but I'll definitely order the pads in the meantime and be ready to pounce. 

Definitely agree. 5mm left on the rear pads is going to last much longer than your existing front pads. Nice bit of forward planning to have the parts on hand when you are ready to pounce. Then you have the option to replace the rears at that time or delay for another time.

I woke up this morning to inspect my handy work and It struck me I hadn't treated the door rubbers. So I got my trusty Aerospace 303 Protectant and went to work.

I like to keep all the door rubbers and surrounds soft and supple so they don't dry rot. I cannot speak highly enough of the 303 product, and not to be confused with that rubbish armor all. This stuff is the real deal when it comes to protecting plastic and rubber surfaces and it doesn't leave a greasy finish either. It will go on shiny initially, and then as the material absorbs it, it will leave a matt like finish, making it look fresh and new. Also has built in UV protection.

Did the door cards, all door rubbers, inners and outers, including that strip along the bottom under each door and the boot rubber. Did the kick panels, runners and scuff plates.

Sorry about the picture quality, the morning sun was in my face.

20200413_075336.jpg

20200413_080840.jpg

20200413_080446.jpg

20200413_080536.jpg

20200413_082649.jpg

20200413_082637.jpg

20200413_082717.jpg

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Did the door cards, all door rubbers, inners and outers, including that strip along the bottom under each door and the boot rubber. Did the kick panels, runners and scuff plates.

Your photos are inspirational. I should do the same. Still got plenty remaining of the 3.79l bottle.

I was tempted to buy this on eBay @ $100 but is last one. Thought I would give the OCD detailers an opportunity while I procrastinate and probably decide to wait until I really need to buy. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/303-Aerospace-Marine-Protectant-3-79L-Free-postage/333569086309?hash=item4daa445365:g:9IIAAOSwMLNejI0N

Lazy day just checking and adjusting engine oil levels then doing the mowing.

Then did some shopping at both SuperCheap and AutoBarn. 

Gabriel Strut cushions were a clearance item at SuperCheap so bought them as existing rear ones on the 2006 ATX are falling apart. Maintenance item for another weekend when I am suitably prepared and motivated. 

15 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Maintenance item for another weekend when I am suitably prepared and motivated. 

I hear you mate. Sometimes motivation is hard after you've been working 5 sometimes 6 days a week, do all the yard work among everything else..

Totally agree..motivation to just keep finding something to do is all we have right now..even found myself out to do some food shopping ..wandering into local supercheap looking at stuff, wander further looking at stuff..leave... get home and then going dam i wanted more w/washer fluid which is what i first went into supercheap for but forgot to get..brain snap.... but with quite a few people in the store at the time i am guessing brain was more in stay a good distance away from all people rather than don't forget to buy windscreen washer fluid

So will buy later in the week as well as clay bar and mitt after reading about using it properly today... thanks Tony!!

I will write a note to myself to buy those when i do go out again..

Keep Safe All

KAA

10 hours ago, KAA said:

get home and then going dam i wanted more w/washer fluid which is what i first went into supercheap for but forgot to get..brain snap.... but with quite a few people in the store at the time i am guessing brain was more in stay a good distance away from all people rather than don't forget to buy windscreen washer fluid

I've lost count how many times I've done that :laugh:

My local Supercheap are trying their best to observe personal distancing when I went there, but it seems there are still a few numb nuts who were in store, did not. I had my boy with me too and I was tempted to say something, I chose not too and ushered oursleves around to avoid any close proximity. Go figure..

• Like 1

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Have a look at the last page of the current Easter Autobarn Catalogue.

2 for $5.98 ! There you go Robert. 

Don't you love the sound the virtual sound it makes when turning pages. 

check it out..

https://www.autobarn.com.au/catalogue

TY Guys..yes have now written a huge note to self..a good deal ..yes Tony i notice most are doing the right thing allowing space and time but then you get the few who just don't get it..standing directly behind you or while looking at something just have to grab something right in front of you!!..they won't learn no matter how many times it is said to do the right thing.

I am making sure my wife and I and those i love survive this.

Thanks for the posts will slip out later in the week for some milk bread and W/Washer fluid

Hugs and stay safe all

• Like 1

On 4/13/2020 at 3:40 PM, campbeam said:

Your photos are inspirational. I should do the same. Still got plenty remaining of the 3.79l bottle.

I was tempted to buy this on eBay @ $100 but is last one. Thought I would give the OCD detailers an opportunity while I procrastinate and probably decide to wait until I really need to buy. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/303-Aerospace-Marine-Protectant-3-79L-Free-postage/333569086309?hash=item4daa445365:g:9IIAAOSwMLNejI0N

Somehow I missed this post. Sorry Ashley. That's the exact stuff right there in the link. I have limited myself to the 946ml for now as It goes a long way, but it's always better to bulk buy for sure. It is in my opinion one of THE best rubber/vinyl/plastic protector having UV protection built in. It's not a show pony product that looks good for a minute and washes away at the slightest hint of rain. 

There are many products out there now, but it would cost me too much to test them all. I can say that other products may have the same effect as 303, but you'll spend a lot of money finding out. 

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

There are many products out there now, but it would cost me too much to test them all. I can say that other products may have the same effect as 303, but you'll spend a lot of money finding out.

When you are on a good thing then stick to it; until convinced otherwise. This is one of the YouTube videos that convinced me to get some of the AeroSpace 303 protectorant.and give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8WFiDGx4Q

I have used it to treat the serpentine belt already fitted to the vehicle and some new wipers [yet to be fitted].