What maintenance over this Easter period?

campbeam

11 hours ago, campbeam said:

When you are on a good thing then stick to it; until convinced otherwise. This is one of the YouTube videos that convinced me to get some of the AeroSpace 303 protectorant.and give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8WFiDGx4Q

I have used it to treat the serpentine belt already fitted to the vehicle and some new wipers [yet to be fitted].

I remember watching that video ages ago and I although I had already been using the product, I was shocked to see it being used on the whole tyre. This then prompted me to spray the tyres on an Original 1975 Dragster Bicycle I have stored as it still has the very tyres it came with from factory, with plenty tread left and some dry rot but not bad enough to render them useless. I sprayed the tyres liberally with 303 and they are now looking to be in much better shape and I dare say has halted the rotting process.

I also did, some time ago, spray over the engine bay components on my Aurion too including the serpentine belt. One application was enough and it lasts for many months. The idea is to spray/soak everything, leave overnight to allow penetration, then come back with a clean microfibre cloth and just buff off. The initial shine will disappear into a matt like appearance, this tells you that it's been absorbed and everything looks like new. I have been maintaining my engine bay like this since day one and this is why it's still close to factory fresh. The slickness of the product doesn't allow contamination to stick either. When I foam cannon the engine bay, this is all it needs to loosen off the dust and then a good pressure wash and blow dry to avoid water spotting. We have hard water here and you need to dry it pretty quickly otherwise etching will occur.

303. It's a miracle product and I'll always have a bottle handy. Let it be our secret lol...

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Thanks 1

Watching that video again has got my thoughts into action about using the product more particularly the tyre treatment. Good time to do it as the car is getting more idle time at the weekend. Girlfriend's Yaris has had a set of new tyres fitted December 2019 so should be a good comparison against my Aurion with as new tyres on the front and half worn tyres on the rear. Just to complicate matters they are different brands with different tread wear ratings. Probably best to start a new thread and take all tread depth readings across the width of each tyre then keep accurate records over the next 12 months.

Also now looking into ceramic coating the windscreen and been watching relevant YouTube videos. You did give me the thoughts as an alternative to Rain-X.

• Like 1

Morning mate. I think a new thread would be a great idea for the tyre analysis. If I'm to do the tyre application I might get the trade size (3.79lt). When I had the wheels off the other day, the rears had more than 50 % left so i swapped these to the front as the fronts were getting close to end of life. They'll be ok on the back for the time being.

The Aurion is quite heavy up up, so It tends to wear the fronts much quicker. This is the 2nd set of fronts to one rear, and I dare say, I could probably go a third set of fronts to one rear. Admittedly, the older rear tyres are getting harder as they age, but they are still compliant in every way. Go Michelin !

So by the time the front's have more appreciable wear, I'll get a full fresh set. I love a fresh set. The car drives so nicely and very quiet you could hear a pin drop.

I am thinking about buying the next set of tyres outright, bring them home, treat them and then have Bob Jane fit them up.

Glad to see you may have caught the bug on the ceramic coating too lol.. It is amazing stuff. You will need a garage to do this due to the application requirements. To do it outside will compromise the application quality. I have a CarPro glass ceramic coat kit and haven't been able to use it due to my garage being so full at the moment. I may have to do it at my folks place one day, but for the meantime I'm happy using the Rain-X. It just means regular applications.

I also have some streaking on my glass which will need buffing too. It was like this when i bought it. It's when the wipers are worn and excessive use drives the dirt and grit into the glass lightly scoring it.

The kit comes with a small tube of special compound which you can use with the aid of a dual action buffer machine to buff out those imperfections and at the same time deep clean the glass surface. Everybody should have a buffer machine I think. Hand polishing will actually damage the paint and glass is near impossible by hand too. 

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I am thinking about buying the next set of tyres outright, bring them home, treat them and then have Bob Jane fit them up.

Good thinking because you will then be able to treat the inside of the tyre.

19 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Glad to see you may have caught the bug on the ceramic coating too lol.. It is amazing stuff. You will need a garage to do this due to the application requirements. To do it outside will compromise the application quality.

Tony, you are so OCD. lol  However, I know that you will get perfect results.

I am planning upon buying from eBay, seller in China. No garage available so it will have to be applied outside. I will be happy with an end result that sheds the water better than Rain-X. I am also planning upon doing a headlight restoration. 

29 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Everybody should have a buffer machine I think.

I will have to wait until a decent quality one is on special which is probably many months away. Open to suggestions without a rolls royce price tag.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Tony, you are so OCD. lol  However, I know that you will get perfect results.

I am planning upon buying from eBay, seller in China. No garage available so it will have to be applied outside. I will be happy with an end result that sheds the water better than Rain-X. I am also planning upon doing a headlight restoration. 

:biggrin: It's in my nature to try and always do a good job. I can't start a job, see something that needs attention and walk past it. I am OCD but in a good way lol..

There are many Chinese alternatives for ceramic coating. I couldn't vouch on the quality though. The boutique products are expensive for a reason, not to say the Chinese ones are bad. It's a hit and miss affair unfortunately due to the proliferation of copy cat industries..

As for headlight restoration. i have to periodically buff my Aurions headlights as we have no shelter where I am. (I will someday build a car port) and the headlights will haze, and for this I get my trusty Flex XC-3401 along with some Menzerna FG -500 and it makes mince meat of it. I then apply a sealant over this to further enhance and protect. I never mentioned this in my recent detail, but I did have to do this again, so If you look at my pics, you'll notice how bright my headlights are.

I will keep an eye out for you for a decent machine for you. Ebay sometimes has a few nice surprises, even if you get a 2nd hand Roll Royce quality machine with the New Rolls Royce price.

There a few good brands on the market. The two main ones are the Rupes and Flex. Flex machines are high quality from Germany and built like tanks. I love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I went the CarPro CQuartz direction a few months ago, was my first time doing ceramic & I must say it looks just fine, although a little sterile - it's very glossy. The Aurion is my daily & I love the fact I won't need to touch it for a few years if ever except to apply ReLoad once every 6 months which takes about 15min to do. The ReLoad alone lasts 3-6 months. Worth the $$ & effort I say. Still need to do the front windscreen & the wheels.

IMG_20200228_142008_MR.jpg

IMG_20200229_094008_MR.jpg

IMG_20200229_094029_MR.jpg

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

ReLoad once every 6 months which takes about 15min to do. The ReLoad alone lasts 3-6 months. Worth the $$ & effort I say. Still need to do the front windscreen & the wheels.

Nice to see others go down the foam cannon route. It's a very satisfying part of the decontamination process. You're luck to have a wide driveway too. I have to make do with a singular drive and can get a bit cramped on the sides. 

Reload is an excellent product too. I haven't ceramic coated my car because you do need a sterile environment to do it in. If I ever build a carport I will wrap the sides in plastic and attempt it then. In the meantime I have to make do with polymer sealants which I have to reapply every 6 months or so. I don't mind doing this as it in itself is a satisfying process.

My car is due for another paint correction infact, and the recent detail had me just doing the clay mitt prior to aqua waxing it so it has a temporary means of protection.

It also improves my drag co efficient :biggrin::biggrin::thumbsup:

• Like 2

I have my Hachiroku to thank for a lot of what I do these days in regard to maintaining, servicing & even the way I treat the engine when the oil is cold for those first 10-15 minutes. I have been snow-foaming since 2014 when I first read about it through the FT86Club forum & others. That orange car you see in the garage has taught me a lot which I now apply to my Aurion. I must admit even my old Camry Azura taught me plenty also through experience.

Tony - Flex is one of the rippa brands when it comes to buffing machines. Personally I would love a Rupes but the $$$ . . . .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

I have my Hachiroku to thank for a lot of what I do these days in regard to maintaining, servicing & even the way I treat the engine when the oil is cold for those first 10-15 minutes. I have been snow-foaming since 2014 when I first read about it through the FT86Club forum & others. That orange car you see in the garage has taught me a lot which I now apply to my Aurion. I must admit even my old Camry Azura taught me plenty also through experience.

Tony - Flex is one of the rippa brands when it comes to buffing machines. Personally I would love a Rupes but the $$$ . . . .

Haha the old AE86. Love 80s cars. Good to see you possess the correct disciplines mate. 

I have learned plenty from a detailing friend of mine who I work with occasionally and we always exchange notes on what's good and what isn't. There's no magic pill for everything. Each car presents its own challenges and one needs to trial a few different products to see what combo works. I think you know what I mean.

Regarding machines, I actually have two flex XC-3401. I purchased my first one brand new, then a few months later one popped up on ebay for a crazy cheap price and I pounced on it. It's still brand new in the box in my cupboard as a back up unit. I also have "Mint" branded random orbital. It's rubbish for paint correction but excellent for applying those sealants and final glaze polishes.

I am planning on getting this after tax time,  https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Rupes-Bigfoot-Nano-iBrid-HR81ML-DLX-Long-Neck-Deluxe-Car-Care-Auto-Detailing-Kit/282514554008?hash=item41c72dfc98:g:Ku0AAOSwa5ReKOCm:sc:AU_StandardDelivery!2148!AU!-1 

been wanting one for ages. Superb for those small areas the 5.5" is to bulky to reach correctly. Perfect for those plastic trims on the doors at the B-Pillar section. Around badges, door jams (if you're inclined). Very very nice kit indeed.

• Like 2

I think I've seen the Nano - looks ideal for doing wheels but I wouldn't be spending that sort of coin on it. I also have the Mint DAS6Pro - yep it's an ordinary machine but capable if not slow at minor correction.

ps: my Hachi ain't that old - it's the current one you see as my avatar although it has been souped up a little.

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

I think I've seen the Nano - looks ideal for doing wheels but I wouldn't be spending that sort of coin on it. I also have the Mint DAS6Pro - yep it's an ordinary machine but capable if not slow at minor correction.

ps: my Hachi ain't that old - it's the current one you see as my avatar although it has been souped up a little.

I totally understand. it is pricey. For the weekend warrior it's definitely not required, but for someone like myself, I do the occasional detailing job for others and tools like this will be handy. The Mint random orbital is ok for those spot corrections I agree, but having to do a whole is painful. This is why I have the Flex. It's a boss machine.

I have to dig up my Mint machine, I haven't used it for ages. It's here somewhere lol..

I thought you had one of those AE86 Sprinters too. So is the new 86 coded AE86 too ?

Edited by Tony Prodigy

On 4/14/2020 at 6:00 PM, campbeam said:

When you are on a good thing then stick to it; until convinced otherwise. This is one of the YouTube videos that convinced me to get some of the AeroSpace 303 protectorant.and give it a try.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD8WFiDGx4Q

I have used it to treat the serpentine belt already fitted to the vehicle and some new wipers [yet to be fitted].

I decided to have another look at the video again mainly to look at the comments. Going to now give the tyres, CV boots and steering boots and the dashboard the AeroSpace 303 protectorant treatment this weekend.

Looked at eBay last night and ended up buying the 3.9litre container. Price was already good at $100 and a further $5 saving closed the sale. Interesting that the seller only lists 2 being available then relists.  Recently read about sellers using psychology of perceived scarcity/missing out.

30 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Interesting that the seller only lists 2 being available then relists.

They do this is intentionally to get your heart rate up Ash. I've taken the bait a couple times, purchased the "last One" and then shortly after he relists another "5 Available"

This is misleading and I think i might have a chat to ebay about this and see if it breaches any seller platform protocols. It's wrong in my opinion.

I would definitely be spraying all those items you mentioned too, Anything rubber in the suspension and steering dept gets a big tick from me. Serpentine belt included.

I have a dash protector so I don't worry about the dash. Maybe the 40 series might benefit as it's made from a different material ? Remember sticky dash issue ?

Oh. Forgot to add... Do the brake lines too.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
Added extra info
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Anything rubber in the suspension and steering dept gets a big tick from me. Serpentine belt included.

I have a dash protector so I don't worry about the dash. Maybe the 40 series might benefit as it's made from a different material ? Remember sticky dash issue ?

Oh. Forgot to add... Do the brake lines too.

Will include those items in the treatment list.

I do remember the sticky dash issue. If I had seen that thread a lot earlier then I would have not taken a different approach to having the dashboard replaced.

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

This is misleading and I think i might have a chat to ebay about this and see if it breaches any seller platform protocols. It's wrong in my opinion.

Please also mention those listings that include multiple related items with a price range. They are bait and time wasting for buyers.

36 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Please also mention those listings that include multiple related items with a price range. They are bait and time wasting for buyers

I think for this one, what it does is it gets you in the shop to view the item and when you have multiple choice then the relevant price applies. I know it's a border line thing.. You see a very cheap price and you click, only to then realise that the cheap price was infact for the smallest offering. I don't think this is on the sellers part, but the way Ebay have designed the seller platform. It can seem misleading but you  have to be aware that it's designed this way so the seller doesn't have to have multiple listings for essentially the same product.

I had this experience when searching for a case for an iPad Air 2 and I saw a cheap price, but by the time I clicked on the listing, the menu appears, check iPad Air 2 and price suddenly goes from say $20 to $30. The $20 price was for the mini.. 

52 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I do remember the sticky dash issue. If I had seen that thread a lot earlier then I would have not taken a different approach to having the dashboard replaced.

So you didn't realise there was a recall for the dash you mean ?

I'm going to wait till these go on Special. I prefer the screw adjustable to the the ratcheting ones as they offer better adjustment potential.

They have these for $99 /pair and I found out that they were on sale recently for $69 !! I wish I knew, I would've got 2 pair.

One can never have enough axle stands.

SCA_568659_hi-res.jpg

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

So you didn't realise there was a recall for the dash you mean ?

Yes, I knew in time but chose not to get it done.

Call it a trust issue; thinking that it is a big job to pull the interior apart to replace the dashboard and too much potential for gremlins to appear.

By then, most of the sticky dash issue had gone away with change of weather and by treating it with olive oil. Found that solution on the internet. Not going to say it is a perfect solution but good enough.

I also bought my Aurion on a wholesale äs is where is" basis via eBay. No sticky dash when I bought it. I would have had a different mindset if I had bought it new or equivalent. Plus it would have been inconvenient being without a car then trying to collect it.

On 4/17/2020 at 2:55 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm going to wait till these go on Special. I prefer the screw adjustable to the the ratcheting ones as they offer better adjustment potential.

They have these for $99 /pair and I found out that they were on sale recently for $69 !! I wish I knew, I would've got 2 pair.

One can never have enough axle stands.

SCA_568659_hi-res.jpg

Also interested in getting a pair of these. One cannot have enough hydraulic trolley jacks.

Ticked off another item from my Easter list this afternoon. Cabin filter had been previously replaced some months ago. Removed it and knocked the loose leaves and dust. Then gave the filter a good soaking with Domestos [hospital grade disinfectant]. Replaced filter then ran the air-conditioning on high. Removed filter then turned on the air-conditioning. No noticeable difference so refitted the glovebox which got a good clean plus  Aerospace 303 protectant.  

When this pandemic is all over and we are all able to get our beauties back on the road for a decent run, wow so many will purr along and glow in the sunshine after all the maintenance work and detail put into them..I can't wait myself..

KAA

• Like 1

4 hours ago, KAA said:

When this pandemic is all over and we are all able to get our beauties back on the road for a decent run, wow so many will purr along and glow in the sunshine after all the maintenance work and detail put into them..I can't wait myself..

KAA

I feel your frustration Robert, but my car still gets a decent work out don't worry. It's my wife's daily and she still has a job to got to thankfully. Although it's usage on weekends has definitely reduced, I'm kinda relieved as this helps keep the Kays low and doesn't hasten the maintenance . I've  been able to spend more time cleaning and detailing it recently as I've had fewer opportunities over the weekends pre Covid -19. I might in fact go over it this morning. Nothing crazy, just a maintenance wash. All it will is a good snow foam, pressure clean and then simply dry with a microfibre towel. That's the beauty of having a slick product on it. The dust and dirt doesn't stick all that good and easily comes from with an emulsion of soap and a good pressure wash. 

Have fun with your cars today !!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Also interested in getting a pair of these. One cannot have enough hydraulic trolley jacks.

Ticked off another item from my Easter list this afternoon. Cabin filter had been previously replaced some months ago. Removed it and knocked the loose leaves and dust. Then gave the filter a good soaking with Domestos [hospital grade disinfectant]. Replaced filter then ran the air-conditioning on high. Removed filter then turned on the air-conditioning. No noticeable difference so refitted the glovebox which got a good clean plus  Aerospace 303 protectant.  

The cabin filter is one thing you can forget very easily. I think a 6 monthly check would be a good thing.

I'm like you on the trolley Jack thing. The problem I've been experiencing is that my other car is stored at my parents place and each time I need to go there and do the maintenance on that car, I have to load my work vehicle up here with the very heavy, thick plated steel jack, all the axles stands and some tools. So I've had to "double up" on workshop gear so I don't get a second hernia having to do this all the time. I plan to keep big bertha here and get a new low profile Alloy dual piston affair for the other car and just leave it there.

The problem with the M3 is that it's quite low and a trolley jack (not even a low profile) doesn't readily fit underneath, I had to buy a full set of these hydraulic actuated vehicle positioning jacks just so I could get the clearance to push the jack underneath to the lift point. They lift the car up some 3 inches, more than enough clearance to then push the trolley jack under. Previously it had been a nightmare to work on until I discovered these. Wow, what a great help they are !

Hyd Positioning Jack.jpg

• Thanks 1

• 11 months later...

Happy Easter 2021. Nice psychological boost that the Greater Brisbane lockdown got lifted yesterday. As per usual, being safe and staying off the roads.

This morning, I finally applied P&S Beadmaker to the upper half of the car and gave the glass another application. Next was to fix a bracket on the mower then some mowing until it ran out of fuel.

Doing an oil change on the girlfriend's Yaris is next on the agenda. That will have to wait as we have got an invitation this morning to a family gathering. Mask wearing time when I am not eating some seafood or having a drink. 

Easter is looking good so far.

• Like 1

Happy Easter Ashley and everyone else.

Spent the day yesterday working on an E46 BMW coupe paint correction with a friend.

Today will be spent on a Husqvarna ride on mower maintenance, may even get to mow some grass, then if I have time give my Colorado a much needed wash and an application of bead maker too.

Tomorrow, is Easter lunch at the inlaws, then hopefully Monday catch up on some house maintenance. Back to work Tuesday.

• Like 1