Testing Aerospace 303 Protectant and Reduced Tyre Wear

campbeam

12 hours ago, campbeam said:

18 months later and 18k kms, front tyres are now down to the wear bar and need replacement.

This was the set you treated externally only hey Ash ? Do you think it made any difference ?

12 hours ago, campbeam said:

Spent most of the day swapping over a set of mag wheels fitted with as new Continental ContiComfortContact 5 tyres. A number of weeks ago I deflated the tyres, inserted about 100 mls of Aerospace 303 into each tyre then re-inflated them. Today I did the same as well as giving the inside and outside tyre walls a good spray of the 303. 

So this is going to be the test set going forward seeing you have treated them inside and out. It will be a very interesting test for sure. What do you think of the Conti's ?

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

This was the set you treated externally only hey Ash ? Do you think it made any difference ?

So this is going to be the test set going forward seeing you have treated them inside and out. It will be a very interesting test for sure. What do you think of the Conti's ?

Hard to say whether the external treatment of the previous used tyres made any difference. i would put it more down to a tyre dressing treatment. 

i will have to take some tyre depth measurements for these tyres as a starting point. Also will have to make the effort and take the tyre depth measurements on the girlfriend's Yaris. 

Manufacture date for the Continentals is 1516 [15th week of 2016] and were only used for a few weeks in mid 2016. Since then, they have been given a few external treatments using Aerospace 303. A good reason why I gave these tyres the internal treatment apart from the "potential" reduced wear benefit. 

Personally, I am quite skeptical about whether there is going to be a worthwhile cost benefit. However, I do like to be proved wrong [sometimes] so it will be interesting to see the wear difference between the front and rear tyres. I usually rotate the rear tyres to the front when the front tyres are half-worn. 

Conti's got a good test yesterday evening driving in heavy rain with a lightening bonus. Certainly felt very confident in the tyres wet handling and braking performance.  

I will have to refine my use of the digital tyre depth gauge.

Interim measurements are 7.10mm for front tyres and 7.42-7.51mm for rear tyres. Afterwards, I thought that a consistent location would be the 2nd outer groove aligned with the tyre valve for comparative readings.

I will also have to adopt a consistent tyre pressure e.g. 38psi and a monthly check starting from when a wheel alignment is done soon.