Share your Detailing Experiences, Tips, Products & Equipment

Hello all. 

As some of you know I am very much into detailing and it is something that I derive a lot of satisfaction from. I have over the years gained plenty of knowledge and experience with certain products and equipment alike. I don't do it professionally as a full time job but more of weekend Professional, if that makes sense. I have several cars which I look after and have done cars for others too, so I have a pretty good idea how to make cars look amazing.

We all try our best to care and maintain our cars. Some are more mechanically oriented and some do both, kind of like myself. I hope to get everybody motivated and enjoy detailing as much as I do.

Share your ideas. Tell us what products you guys use, including machinery, pressure washers and anything you might find relevant.

I have a decent stash of various products now that I have picked up over the recent years and today I received yet another installment in my ever growing product range. I am very happy to share with you some of the latest items on the market.

P&S BeadMaker Paint Protectant Sealant ***EXTREME CRAZY GLOSS*** - 3.8L

The Rag Company Creature Edgeless 420GSM 70/30 Plush Dual Microfibre Towel - 40cm x 40cm / ROYAL BLUE

The Rag Company Minx  Edgeless Coral Fleece Gold 70/30 Microfibre Towel – 40CM X 40CM - Gold

Shine Master Plush Microfiber Wash Mitt With Cuff - White/Black

The Rag Company -- The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel - Medium (38cm x 60cm)

This is just a small taste of my goodies. I'll share more of my collection very soon.

Hope to hear from everyone.

Cheers Guys :thumbsup:

20200423_153359.jpg

20200423_153437.jpg

20200423_153546.jpg

20200423_153646.jpg

20200423_153738.jpg

• Thanks 1

In partial response to your post, I've been using Meguire's leather conditioner for years on various cars I've had. Seems to be very good and I apply it every 3 months to all the leather areas. I use their vinyl/ plastic care product too and apply that once every month. 

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling
  • Like 1

I have some Meguiars products at my Parents place where my other car is stored and have been very happy with the quality too. I too have the leather conditioner, I think it's the Gold Class one. I Haven't used it in a while as that car hardly gets driven and hasn't had the need for any recent treatment. 

I am looking to try out some new products on the Aurion pretty soon. The leather could do with a little nourishment. I'll post back when I have them.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have followed Tony's recommendations and placed an order with the Detailing Shed located in Sydney. The order arrived well within the estimated delivery time and I finally unpacked it today. Very pleasantly surprised at how well it was packed. Notice the extra cardboard protection inside the box and the red tape around the tops of the containers.

I am thinking of using the P&S Beadmaker on the bonnet and also on the windscreen as an alternative to Rain-X. The P&S Shine All is going to be used as a tyre dressing and maybe trialled for treating the dash. 

image.png.cae6e147ac7c32c2bc5c522f97b12248.png

image.png.73c4aeeb900023f689a0ac7320722ce2.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Very pleasantly surprised at how well it was packed. Notice the extra cardboard protection inside the box and the red tape around the tops of the containers.

Very nice Ash ! You can always tell an OCD detailer by the way they also pack products too :toast:

The service is 1st Class from The Detailing Shed.

I've yet to use my Beadmaker as  I plan to do a full strip back and two stage polish and paint correction on the Aurion. This will do the product the most justice. The main thing to remember before applying the beadmaker is to have the surface prepped well. Strip back any previous coatings of waxes or sealants. Wipe down with a surface cleaner (I use Isopropyl alcohol) and then you're ready to go. Observe the cure time recommendation too. The product will increase in gloss levels as it cures. ( as stated by the maker)

Have fun detailing Ashley. It can be a very satisfying hobby, especially if you have a lot of time on your hands. 

Products look great Ash..and yes definitely top notch packaging shows they also care about their customers, will look forward to your comments when you have played with them

Keep Safe

KAA

Purchased some Gyeon Leather Shield Q2 for a new leather lounge I just purchased. This is an Automotive product, but it won't stop anyone using it on furniture either. I also have a brand new set of Reebok Classics I also plan to put it on too. Anything leather. 

I also Purchased the Gyeon Leather cleaner and the brush to go with it. It's always good practice to do the correct prep work before applying the protection layer.

Car Care Products are the only supplier in Sydney at the moment if anyone is interested.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/q2-leather-shield-50-ml.html

Watch this:

20200505_075505.jpg

20200505_075550.jpg

20200505_075427.jpg

• Thanks 1

Finally got around to using the Gyeon  Leather Shield Q2, but it was for my brand new leather lounge. Even though it is a new lounge I still gave it a proper scrub down with the Gyeon leather cleaner utilising the Special Gyeon leather scrubbing brush to remove any finger marks when it was delivered. Also prepped my new Reebok Classic White Leather Sports shoes too. I figured I'd give these a hit while I had the applicator wet. Made sense to me.

After a thorough clean, scrub and wipe down with several microfibre cloths, I applied the coating mainly to the tops of the couches and sides. Shoes got a licking too.

It was as easy as that. Simply apply the product and walk away. No final buffing required. The hardest part was the preparation and the whole job took nearly 4 hours. I feel a lot better now knowing the leather is protected. See how it goes in time. It's supposed to be an annual application, but I suspect it will last much longer than that as they don't get any sun.

Just an idea how much product I used. It was a 50ml bottle and it did 2 single seaters, a 3 seater and a 2.5 seater. These being slightly larger than a standard setting too, there was around 10 ml left in the bottle. Good for a couple of leather steering wheels..

Very happy with the result and can highly recommend this to anyone with new to newish leather.

Pictures of the lounge are a little grainy, but just to give you an indication of how far roughly 40 ml of product goes.

20200508_102251.jpg

20200508_091732.jpg

20200508_114148.jpg

20200508_114201.jpg

20200508_114210.jpg

20200508_114242.jpg

20200508_114402.jpg

Later in the day I had to do the laundry. Gotta look after those microfibre towels. A good tip for drying your towels too. DON'T hang them outside to dry. They will collect dust and dirt and you will scratch your paint unwittingly. I place them on a cloths hanger inside my house and let them air dry near a widow. I then fold them neatly and put them back in my plastic storage bin for next time.

20200507_070119.jpg

• Like 2

They look great now Tony..have added that product to my "Love to have list"..i have several Oakwood Leather sets to finish with first, but will get some of that Q2 for future looking for things to clean days ahead Thanks Mate

KAA

Thank you guys. The Gyeon products are the most cost effective of the ceramic coating range I've seen. It was around $65 for the Q2, others can range around the $100 mark.

A highly respected and used product.

• 7 months later...

Currently, eBay has a $10 off promotion.

Initially, I was going to buy the P&S Beadmaker which I had forgotten that I had already bought.

I looked at a YouTube video and that had the tip of using Beadmaker on the interior glass to reduce fogging. 

Ended up getting the P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Initially, I was going to buy the P&S Beadmaker which I had forgotten that I had already bought.

I looked at a YouTube video and that had the tip of using Beadmaker on the interior glass to reduce fogging. 

I've been using beadmaker on my interior as well as the exterior. It's pretty versatile as a spray on sealant protector. Great stuff. Didn't know it could also work as an anti fog in the inner side of the windscreen though. Cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Got into a bit of detailing stuff during lock down last albeit, mostly entry/beginner level gear seeing as there's a lot I'll need to learn over time and to see what works best for me.

Product: Bowden's Own Happy Ending (yes a silly name I know). A finishing sealant used with a pressure washer.

Application: Mix the formula 9 parts water, 1 part H.E. in 1L snow foam cannon. Apply to wet car after a wash and rinse off as soon as possible once the entire car has been coated.

Experience: This has been my go to coating for a few months now. You can't really beat the ease of use, simply mixing it in the cannon, spraying it on before rising it off for instant protection. I've found that it's best used out of direct sunlight on cooler days since it can cause streaking and marking if left on for too long before drying but other than that, it's quite a nice product. I did have issues with my snow blow cannon clogging up from it, only because I didn't flush water through the cannon once completed to make sure nothing got caught up in the aerator which Bowden's replaced free of charge after contacting them.

Bowden's state on daily driven cars, the coating will last up to 2 months before needing a top up. I've found that it tends to last about that or even longer than 2 months which is a nice bonus. I've used it on my Mum's car which is always garaged and it tends to last more than double the daily driver time which is a nice bonus.

It creates some awesome beading and is quite easy to tell when it needs to be re-applied. They do advise not to spray it on the front window as it can cause streaking so if it does, a glass cleaner can be used to quickly clean the coating off. 

In terms of pricing, I've used it quite a number of times and still have well over half a bottle and I've had it for roughly 9-10 months now and although I did get it on sale at the time, even the normal price isn't too bad considering how simple and effective I've found it. I do find although they claim half a bottle can be used, I tend to have to use the entire bottle even on my Corolla which is probably the only disappointing thing I have found with it.

More info here: https://www.bowdensown.com.au/blog/latest-news/our-happy-ending/

• Like 2

I can concur with you on that hydrophobic coating. It is quick and relatively easy to apply. I started using this kind of sealant years ago and I found it especially good for undercarriages,wheel wells and engine bays, especially when the car is new, it's an ideal treatment from the get go.

I'd give the car a thorough wash top, bottom, inside and out then I'd foam cannon the stuff underneath, engine bay and then over the outer part of the car, let it dwell for several minutes and then pressure wash. Puts that invisible protection coating over everything and makes it easier to clean in the future. Best time to do it is very early in the morning if you have no shade protection or late in the afternoon. Never use these in direct sunlight because it will start drying too fast before it has time dwell.

The one I used was from Fireball. They make some really excellent products.

20210106_102307.jpg

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I can concur with you on that hydrophobic coating. It is quick and relatively easy to apply. I started using this kind of sealant years ago and I found it especially good for undercarriages,wheel wells and engine bays, especially when the car is new, it's an ideal treatment from the get go.

I'd give the car a thorough wash top, bottom, inside and out then I'd foam cannon the stuff underneath, engine bay and then over the outer part of the car, let it dwell for several minutes and then pressure wash. Puts that invisible protection coating over everything and makes it easier to clean in the future. Best time to do it is very early in the morning if you have no shade protection or late in the afternoon. Never use these in direct sunlight because it will start drying too fast before it has time dwell.

The one I used was from Fireball. They make some really excellent products.

20210106_102307.jpg

I actually got a Fireball drying towel at Toyotafest a few years ago and I've been pretty happy with it too.

Does their finishing foam get applied via a foam cannon or is it more of a spray on, dwell and than rinse?

• 1 year later...

Product: CarPro HydrO2 Foam

Application: Mix 9 parts water, 1 part formula in foam canon lance. This can be applied in 2 ways, used as a complete wash and seal by spraying the vehicle, using a sponge to clean and rinse off (recommended on lightly soiled vehicles) and the method I use, spraying on the car after a wash and either using a sponge to spread the product more evenly or just using a higher pressure washer to rinse it off.

Experience: This is the 2nd finishing style sealing foam I have used, the first being a little further up in this same thread. When my Bowden's H.E. bottle was completed after doing more than 20 cars worth of sealing, I began looking for alternatives that worked in a similar way as this is a method I find very simple with my current experience and I've honestly never really had any issues. After a few weeks of searching the web, watching and reading various reviews and comparisons I decided to go with CarPro HydrO2 Foam and luckly enough for me, it was on sale too!

The product is very simple and forgiving to work with, simply mix it as suggested and spray the vehicle. In the beginning, since I didn't have too much where I would wash my car, I would spray a panel, spread the product with a microfibre towel or wash tool and than pressure wash off before my current method which is coating the entire car and going around to spread the product into the panels before rinsing off. It leaves a nice slippery smooth feel on the panels and is safe on all materials, maybe not as smooth as my previous experience with Bowden's but it's honestly not massively different. The beading action is fantastic, it leaves nicely defined beads along with giving the panels nice hydrophobic properties and easily repelling the water away without any real stickyness to the panels. I've also found it does enhance the gloss and add some depth to the paint while adding the protection layer, comparing pre and post coated photo's it's a little hard to tell on my silver car but on other comparisons on different colours, it's a nice noticable difference. 

CarPro has quoted in some cases the coating can last up to 6 months on garaged vehicles and 3 months on vehicles outside and I can really back up those claims. After my first coating was applied last year, I found I didn't have to top it up for well over 2 months, given my car has never been garaged full time. I had last applied the coating in late July and my panels aren't as slippery and smooth as when the coating first applied but it's very evident when applying snow foam and washing that the coating is still there and working. I personally think it's a very worth while purchase for simple and effective protection.

It can purchased locally via - https://www.waxit.com.au/collections/carpro/products/carpro-hydrofoam-500ml-1l

Edited by Squalled
  • Thanks 1

Thanks mate for the detailed post, I have not tried the ceramic washes at all as I prefer to use a good quality foam wash followed by a hand wash when required. Mostly these days I find my baby just needs a foam wash as I have the Turtle Wax Flex Wax Graphene coating on and any dirt (which is minimal) just washes off with the foam and pressure washer. I can see the benefits of the CarPro HydrO2 Foam as it is fast and gives some protection between washes so keep us updated as too how you have found it.

Keep Safe Mate

KAA

17 hours ago, Squalled said:

and the method I use, spraying on the car after a wash and either using a sponge to spread the product more evenly or just using a higher pressure washer to rinse it off.

That's the method  I've used too. As it also acts as a sealer for the most part, despite the emulsion to "clean", you potentially trap contamination by virtue of the sealant component. That has always been my thinking.

When I used to use these foam spray on sealants, I would always wash and decon first then as a final thing, I'd hit it with the sealant via foam canon. Makes sense right ?

Since using up the last of my Fireball product I haven't bothered to get back on board with these as the car always has a sealant coat on it anyway and every time I towel dry it, I'm using the same spray on sealant as a drying aid anyway, so it tops it up that way. 

I see the benefit of the foam canon sealant too. It just depends on a given situation and what works for the individual.
Another method, would be to wash decon, apply the foam sealant, rinse then blow dry. Towel dry is ok, just nice to use a spritz of drying aid (spray on sealant) to help it along if the desired slickness isn't quite there. 

16 hours ago, KAA said:

Thanks mate for the detailed post, I have not tried the ceramic washes at all as I prefer to use a good quality foam wash followed by a hand wash when required. Mostly these days I find my baby just needs a foam wash as I have the Turtle Wax Flex Wax Graphene coating on and any dirt (which is minimal) just washes off with the foam and pressure washer. I can see the benefits of the CarPro HydrO2 Foam as it is fast and gives some protection between washes so keep us updated as too how you have found it.

Keep Safe Mate

KAA

Will do Rob!

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's the method  I've used too. As it also acts as a sealer for the most part, despite the emulsion to "clean", you potentially trap contamination by virtue of the sealant component. That has always been my thinking.

When I used to use these foam spray on sealants, I would always wash and decon first then as a final thing, I'd hit it with the sealant via foam canon. Makes sense right ?

Since using up the last of my Fireball product I haven't bothered to get back on board with these as the car always has a sealant coat on it anyway and every time I towel dry it, I'm using the same spray on sealant as a drying aid anyway, so it tops it up that way. 

I see the benefit of the foam canon sealant too. It just depends on a given situation and what works for the individual.
Another method, would be to wash decon, apply the foam sealant, rinse then blow dry. Towel dry is ok, just nice to use a spritz of drying aid (spray on sealant) to help it along if the desired slickness isn't quite there. 

Thankfully, prior to Toyotafest I'll be doing a strip wash and decon before giving it a nice re-seal with a coating. I do agree that I've found it does trap unwanted things to my paint so I'll see how I go with the decon process and I may end up doing as a 6 monthly or yearly process. I'll likely update this thread with a few products with my feedback along with updating my regular build thread 🙂 

• Like 2

Excellent plan mate, I do a 6-7 monthly decon wash and saw that the new TW rapid decon / wheel cleaner is fantastic from all the videos I have seen, but the prices these days is way out there so will be interested in what you end up using for all of your details. I am just about out of the last batch of iron remover so unless Tony has an online order service from his hoard I will have to let the moths loose from my back pocket 😄😄

Keep Well

KAA

• 2 weeks later...

Products: Bowden’s Own Three Way & Claying Rubber

Application: Apply to clean, dry paint working a section at a time out of direct sunlight on a section cool to touch. Allow the solution to sit on the section for at least a minute before using a clay bar or in my experience, the Claying Rubber.

Prior to using the claying rubber, the instructions note to spray the pad prior to working the section with little to no pressure. Once a section is completed, simply wash the product off (the product can also be left on the panel for an extra period if required) and move on with the remaining sections following the same process before the car requires a re-wash.

Experience: This was my first experience with doing a decontamination clean and I have to say using this combo, it was simple and easy, and the results were fantastic. Three is the decontamination spray that’s used to remove iron and other contaminants while also working as clay lube hence it’s quirky name.

Given my car is silver, I began on the bonnet as I knew this would be one of the more contaminated sections. I sprayed the panel and let the solution dwell for a minute or so before beginning to work the bonnet with the claying rubber. Even after roughly 10-15 seconds, I was already noticing the purple spots all over the panel indicating the contamination. In my case, there wasn’t a great deal given there were only small purple spots here and there but, on Bowden’s Own website there are plenty of images and a video showing highly contaminated paint.

I sprayed the claying rubber to begin the second part of the decontamination process, and began working the panel with very little pressure,working in one direction before changing the motion to make sure the contaminants were removed. Working with these two products, it’s easy to tell there is contamination with the sound made while working the claying rubber along the panel.

Once I felt the panel was clean, in this case I moved onto the front guard before deciding to wash the bonnet as the water would require drying anyway but, you’d normally rinse the panel with water and made sure all the solution and contaminants were rinsed off. I repeated this process around the car but after completing the first panel, it was massive noticeable difference in the feel of the panel.

Prior to the decontamination, I lightly rubbed the panels with my finger and could feel that the panel wasn’t entirely smooth and did feel rough in sections. Once I completed the decontamination, the panels felt much smoother and slicker, and I couldn’t feel anything really making my finger stick. With the claying rubber being non-marring, I found no more additional scratches added to the paint other than what was there already prior. In my case, I found all the small dots of contaminants were gone along with another section on my bonnet where I’d removed bird poo just a little too late and it did leave a mark, luckily for me not deep enough to damage the paint was also removed.

To round up my experience, it was nothing but pleasant, easy, and simple. For a novice like me, undergoing a decontamination process can be daunting but using both these products together got rid of the worry of making a mistake with easy-to-follow steps and application. I know these products may not be the best on the market but for beginners, it’s a perfect start for getting into paint decontamination.

For more information on the products:

Three Way: https://www.bowdensown.com.au/three-way

Claying Rubber: https://www.bowdensown.com.au/claying-rubber

Products: Bowden’s Own Paint Cleanse and Restore

Application: Before beginning, make sure the car is clean, recently decontaminated, and dry. Apply a 50-cent sized portion of the solution to a microfiber application pad and smooth it out over the entire pad leaving no dry sections. Apply to the car a section at a time working in straight motion if outdoors and circular motion if working indoors. Once you have worked the section, buff the residue off with a plush microfiber towel and repeat this process to complete the car.

Experience: For my experience, I had just conducted a decontamination process on my car, washed and dried the car as indicated. The paint prior to my experience was quite slick and smooth as all the contamination had just been removed. I applied the solution slightly different to what Bowden’s notes, applying 4 small dots and spreading the product into a microfiber application and using a straight back and forth, side to side motion rather than circular as I was working outdoors.

Once I was confident, I had gone over the section I worked on twice, I got a plush microfiber towel and removed he residue from the paint and was greeted with a very clean and deep shine to the panel. First inspection rubbing my finger along the section, it was even slicker and easier to move along than before. Once I completed my initial check, I then completed the process to the remaining sections of the car.

As the product is not abrasive, it doesn’t leave any scratches or swirls after using it. As this product is a cleaner, it is recommended to be used after a decontamination and prior to applying any wax or sealant. Like most Bowden’s Own products, it was simple to use and delivered a great result that I was not expecting to be as good as it was given the age and condition of my paint. I found I used very little product meaning I can get many more body cleanses completed before I ever need to restock and for the price, it makes it an attractive purchase, especially for a novice like me.

More product information can be found below:

https://www.bowdensown.com.au/products/exterior/paint-cleanse-restore

Products: Meguiars Hybrid Ceramic Liquid Wax

Application: Working in the shade, apply to a cool clean panel. Apply a small amount of product to a foam applicator or polisher pad. Spread a thin, even coat to a panel and use 2 overlapping passes to ensure complete coverage. Allow the wax 3-5 minutes to cure before wiping the panel with a microfiber towel.

Experience: This was my first genuine experience with the proper method of waxing, none of the usual spray on and wipe waxes that are becoming more common these days. Following the steps noted, I applied 2 small drops to a foam applicator and worked a panel at a time and found that a little does indeed go a long way in terms of this product. I performed the overlapping passes and allowed the product to cure for the noted time and moved onto the next panel and began working that the same way before going back to wipe the panel with a microfiber towel.

Unlike traditional waxes, this wax doesn’t haze so I could leave it on the panel longer than time recommended with no issues. Once I completed the wipe off, I was left with a super slick panel that had more deep gloss than it had prior. I completed the entire car in relatively quick time given the product allowed me to work another panel before requiring a buff off. Once the car was completed, I found I used hardly any of the product leaving me with even more to apply in future.

After watching many videos and reviews of others experience and thoughts, I can attest to them and note how easy and simple this product is to use. Given its application is basically what I found to apply to other liquid waxes, there was nothing out of the ordinary, but the result was even better by the fact that it was easy to apply, the cure time was short and simple to buff off process with no risk of hazing.

More product information can be found below:

https://www.meguiars.com.au/product/hybrid-ceramic-liquid-wax/

• Thanks 1