Share your Detailing Experiences, Tips, Products & Equipment

Hello all. 

As some of you know I am very much into detailing and it is something that I derive a lot of satisfaction from. I have over the years gained plenty of knowledge and experience with certain products and equipment alike. I don't do it professionally as a full time job but more of weekend Professional, if that makes sense. I have several cars which I look after and have done cars for others too, so I have a pretty good idea how to make cars look amazing.

We all try our best to care and maintain our cars. Some are more mechanically oriented and some do both, kind of like myself. I hope to get everybody motivated and enjoy detailing as much as I do.

Share your ideas. Tell us what products you guys use, including machinery, pressure washers and anything you might find relevant.

I have a decent stash of various products now that I have picked up over the recent years and today I received yet another installment in my ever growing product range. I am very happy to share with you some of the latest items on the market.

P&S BeadMaker Paint Protectant Sealant ***EXTREME CRAZY GLOSS*** - 3.8L

The Rag Company Creature Edgeless 420GSM 70/30 Plush Dual Microfibre Towel - 40cm x 40cm / ROYAL BLUE

The Rag Company Minx  Edgeless Coral Fleece Gold 70/30 Microfibre Towel – 40CM X 40CM - Gold

Shine Master Plush Microfiber Wash Mitt With Cuff - White/Black

The Rag Company -- The Gauntlet Microfiber Drying Towel - Medium (38cm x 60cm)

This is just a small taste of my goodies. I'll share more of my collection very soon.

Hope to hear from everyone.

Cheers Guys :thumbsup:

20200423_153359.jpg

20200423_153437.jpg

20200423_153546.jpg

20200423_153646.jpg

20200423_153738.jpg

• Thanks 1

In partial response to your post, I've been using Meguire's leather conditioner for years on various cars I've had. Seems to be very good and I apply it every 3 months to all the leather areas. I use their vinyl/ plastic care product too and apply that once every month. 

Edited by Bigmike62
Spelling
  • Like 1

I have some Meguiars products at my Parents place where my other car is stored and have been very happy with the quality too. I too have the leather conditioner, I think it's the Gold Class one. I Haven't used it in a while as that car hardly gets driven and hasn't had the need for any recent treatment. 

I am looking to try out some new products on the Aurion pretty soon. The leather could do with a little nourishment. I'll post back when I have them.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually, I have followed Tony's recommendations and placed an order with the Detailing Shed located in Sydney. The order arrived well within the estimated delivery time and I finally unpacked it today. Very pleasantly surprised at how well it was packed. Notice the extra cardboard protection inside the box and the red tape around the tops of the containers.

I am thinking of using the P&S Beadmaker on the bonnet and also on the windscreen as an alternative to Rain-X. The P&S Shine All is going to be used as a tyre dressing and maybe trialled for treating the dash. 

image.png.cae6e147ac7c32c2bc5c522f97b12248.png

image.png.73c4aeeb900023f689a0ac7320722ce2.png

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Very pleasantly surprised at how well it was packed. Notice the extra cardboard protection inside the box and the red tape around the tops of the containers.

Very nice Ash ! You can always tell an OCD detailer by the way they also pack products too :toast:

The service is 1st Class from The Detailing Shed.

I've yet to use my Beadmaker as  I plan to do a full strip back and two stage polish and paint correction on the Aurion. This will do the product the most justice. The main thing to remember before applying the beadmaker is to have the surface prepped well. Strip back any previous coatings of waxes or sealants. Wipe down with a surface cleaner (I use Isopropyl alcohol) and then you're ready to go. Observe the cure time recommendation too. The product will increase in gloss levels as it cures. ( as stated by the maker)

Have fun detailing Ashley. It can be a very satisfying hobby, especially if you have a lot of time on your hands. 

Products look great Ash..and yes definitely top notch packaging shows they also care about their customers, will look forward to your comments when you have played with them

Keep Safe

KAA

Purchased some Gyeon Leather Shield Q2 for a new leather lounge I just purchased. This is an Automotive product, but it won't stop anyone using it on furniture either. I also have a brand new set of Reebok Classics I also plan to put it on too. Anything leather. 

I also Purchased the Gyeon Leather cleaner and the brush to go with it. It's always good practice to do the correct prep work before applying the protection layer.

Car Care Products are the only supplier in Sydney at the moment if anyone is interested.

https://www.carcareproducts.com.au/q2-leather-shield-50-ml.html

Watch this:

20200505_075505.jpg

20200505_075550.jpg

20200505_075427.jpg

• Thanks 1

Finally got around to using the Gyeon  Leather Shield Q2, but it was for my brand new leather lounge. Even though it is a new lounge I still gave it a proper scrub down with the Gyeon leather cleaner utilising the Special Gyeon leather scrubbing brush to remove any finger marks when it was delivered. Also prepped my new Reebok Classic White Leather Sports shoes too. I figured I'd give these a hit while I had the applicator wet. Made sense to me.

After a thorough clean, scrub and wipe down with several microfibre cloths, I applied the coating mainly to the tops of the couches and sides. Shoes got a licking too.

It was as easy as that. Simply apply the product and walk away. No final buffing required. The hardest part was the preparation and the whole job took nearly 4 hours. I feel a lot better now knowing the leather is protected. See how it goes in time. It's supposed to be an annual application, but I suspect it will last much longer than that as they don't get any sun.

Just an idea how much product I used. It was a 50ml bottle and it did 2 single seaters, a 3 seater and a 2.5 seater. These being slightly larger than a standard setting too, there was around 10 ml left in the bottle. Good for a couple of leather steering wheels..

Very happy with the result and can highly recommend this to anyone with new to newish leather.

Pictures of the lounge are a little grainy, but just to give you an indication of how far roughly 40 ml of product goes.

20200508_102251.jpg

20200508_091732.jpg

20200508_114148.jpg

20200508_114201.jpg

20200508_114210.jpg

20200508_114242.jpg

20200508_114402.jpg

Later in the day I had to do the laundry. Gotta look after those microfibre towels. A good tip for drying your towels too. DON'T hang them outside to dry. They will collect dust and dirt and you will scratch your paint unwittingly. I place them on a cloths hanger inside my house and let them air dry near a widow. I then fold them neatly and put them back in my plastic storage bin for next time.

20200507_070119.jpg

• Like 2

They look great now Tony..have added that product to my "Love to have list"..i have several Oakwood Leather sets to finish with first, but will get some of that Q2 for future looking for things to clean days ahead Thanks Mate

KAA

Thank you guys. The Gyeon products are the most cost effective of the ceramic coating range I've seen. It was around $65 for the Q2, others can range around the $100 mark.

A highly respected and used product.

• 7 months later...

Currently, eBay has a $10 off promotion.

Initially, I was going to buy the P&S Beadmaker which I had forgotten that I had already bought.

I looked at a YouTube video and that had the tip of using Beadmaker on the interior glass to reduce fogging. 

Ended up getting the P&S Xpress Interior Cleaner. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Initially, I was going to buy the P&S Beadmaker which I had forgotten that I had already bought.

I looked at a YouTube video and that had the tip of using Beadmaker on the interior glass to reduce fogging. 

I've been using beadmaker on my interior as well as the exterior. It's pretty versatile as a spray on sealant protector. Great stuff. Didn't know it could also work as an anti fog in the inner side of the windscreen though. Cool.

• 2 weeks later...

Got into a bit of detailing stuff during lock down last albeit, mostly entry/beginner level gear seeing as there's a lot I'll need to learn over time and to see what works best for me.

Product: Bowden's Own Happy Ending (yes a silly name I know). A finishing sealant used with a pressure washer.

Application: Mix the formula 9 parts water, 1 part H.E. in 1L snow foam cannon. Apply to wet car after a wash and rinse off as soon as possible once the entire car has been coated.

Experience: This has been my go to coating for a few months now. You can't really beat the ease of use, simply mixing it in the cannon, spraying it on before rising it off for instant protection. I've found that it's best used out of direct sunlight on cooler days since it can cause streaking and marking if left on for too long before drying but other than that, it's quite a nice product. I did have issues with my snow blow cannon clogging up from it, only because I didn't flush water through the cannon once completed to make sure nothing got caught up in the aerator which Bowden's replaced free of charge after contacting them.

Bowden's state on daily driven cars, the coating will last up to 2 months before needing a top up. I've found that it tends to last about that or even longer than 2 months which is a nice bonus. I've used it on my Mum's car which is always garaged and it tends to last more than double the daily driver time which is a nice bonus.

It creates some awesome beading and is quite easy to tell when it needs to be re-applied. They do advise not to spray it on the front window as it can cause streaking so if it does, a glass cleaner can be used to quickly clean the coating off. 

In terms of pricing, I've used it quite a number of times and still have well over half a bottle and I've had it for roughly 9-10 months now and although I did get it on sale at the time, even the normal price isn't too bad considering how simple and effective I've found it. I do find although they claim half a bottle can be used, I tend to have to use the entire bottle even on my Corolla which is probably the only disappointing thing I have found with it.

More info here: https://www.bowdensown.com.au/blog/latest-news/our-happy-ending/

• Like 2

I can concur with you on that hydrophobic coating. It is quick and relatively easy to apply. I started using this kind of sealant years ago and I found it especially good for undercarriages,wheel wells and engine bays, especially when the car is new, it's an ideal treatment from the get go.

I'd give the car a thorough wash top, bottom, inside and out then I'd foam cannon the stuff underneath, engine bay and then over the outer part of the car, let it dwell for several minutes and then pressure wash. Puts that invisible protection coating over everything and makes it easier to clean in the future. Best time to do it is very early in the morning if you have no shade protection or late in the afternoon. Never use these in direct sunlight because it will start drying too fast before it has time dwell.

The one I used was from Fireball. They make some really excellent products.

20210106_102307.jpg

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I can concur with you on that hydrophobic coating. It is quick and relatively easy to apply. I started using this kind of sealant years ago and I found it especially good for undercarriages,wheel wells and engine bays, especially when the car is new, it's an ideal treatment from the get go.

I'd give the car a thorough wash top, bottom, inside and out then I'd foam cannon the stuff underneath, engine bay and then over the outer part of the car, let it dwell for several minutes and then pressure wash. Puts that invisible protection coating over everything and makes it easier to clean in the future. Best time to do it is very early in the morning if you have no shade protection or late in the afternoon. Never use these in direct sunlight because it will start drying too fast before it has time dwell.

The one I used was from Fireball. They make some really excellent products.

20210106_102307.jpg

I actually got a Fireball drying towel at Toyotafest a few years ago and I've been pretty happy with it too.

Does their finishing foam get applied via a foam cannon or is it more of a spray on, dwell and than rinse?