Camry V6... R.I.P Future V6 Models ?

Tony Prodigy

I'm hearing murmurs that Toyota will be axing the Camry V6 option yet again and this time for good. A friend of mine knows and has spoken to a Toyota insider and this is what that person reckons will be coming.

Damn it !! Just when they start making modern Camry so nice they have to spoil it like this all over again. I love the V6 and it's the only configuration I enjoy, not knocking the 4 cyl guys, but the V6 is in a world all its own.

It's already happening with the Landcruiser. The V8 will be no more and will be replaced with a V6 variant. So it's the demise of the petrol engine as we know it as we go down the electric motor road..

You heard it here first..

5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

V6 is in a world all its own.

Here was me hoping and dreaming that Toyota would develop a hybrid version or a turbocharger version of the Camry V6.

I was hoping for a trickle down affect from the recent turbocharged V6 Lexus in a few years time. Maybe we will have to trickle up to the Lexus instead.

Guess that it all comes down to future Sales and Demand. 

That is sad news guys, I am also a lover of the beautiful manufactured V6, the fact it is powerful, cheap to run, and has the reliability of Toyota's quality has always made me happy and willing to endorse future Camry's Hybrid/V6 combination..and then i read that they will axe it?? Sad Sad Day

yes I agree Ash ..may have to look at Lexus if I ever sell our Aurion which is very unlikely, as they will have to pry my cold hands off the wheel

KAA

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KAA said:

may have to look at Lexus if I ever sell our Aurion which is very unlikely, as they will have to pry my cold hands off the wheel

I estimate that I have got about 30 years of driving time remaining between my 2 Aurions.

They will have to pry my old cold hands off the driver's license well before both of those Aurions make their final journey to the recycling yard. .

• Like 2

Well the way I see it, given the fact fact that they are still selling the V6 Camry, there will still be abundant stock not only of Aurion's remaining but that of Camry too.

I'd love to have the SL Camry V6. A close friend of mine was one of the first to purchase the new Camry SL V6 and what a car it is ! So luxurious and beautifully appointed. So don't despair yet people, while everyone is distracted by the SUV revolution, we'll have more Camry/Aurion V6s to ourselves.. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

The expected news that the Camry V6 would be discontinued was released back in December 2020. To be axed after the 2021 facelift. 

https://www.drive.com.au/news/toyota-camry-v6-dead-in-australia-axed-with-2021-facelift/ 

I do keep looking at the traffic for these recent Camry V6.

Definitely would like to have one but not prepared to part with the required $$$.

Unfortunately, most times those recent Camrys with a dual exhaust that I do see are the 4 cylinder RZ model.

The Car Nut released a YouTube video back in July 2021 reviewing Toyota's updated 2GR-FKS 3.5L engine talking about improvements and some common problems. 

I particularly liked how he included photos of the earlier 2GR-FE to outline the changes and improvements in the 2GR-FKS engine. Interesting how engine design changes have reduced the required engine oil capacity from 6.4 US guarts to 5.8 i.e. 6.05666 litres to 5.48885 litres. Also how Toyota waits until engine designs get proven before adopting updated/revised components. 

I also interpreted his commentary as further proof why the 2GR-FE requires regular engine oil changes to keep the engine internals clean including the VVTi system to avoid common problems. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only issue I can see with current Camry is that it's a lot lower to the ground than previous designs so if you got a dodgy back it's going to be that much harder getting in/out of. Oddly designed in my opinion, too many shapes all over the shop but a rippa car nonetheless. A 2GR-FKS would be the cars highlight, just as the 2GR-FE is in our Aurions, it's what makes these cars special, imo 😉

• Like 1