Good morning ladies and gentlemen I was wondering if I can get some help please? I want to learn about diesels but I'm not sure where to start? Are there any books I can get to learn about them? Thank you very much for your time.

I know next to nothing about diesel engines. If I wanted to start learning about them or any other topic, my initial starting point is a Google search.

https://www.google.com/search?q=learning+about+diesels&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

Suggest that you have a Word document or similar open so that you can copy and paste URLs etc for future reference of further investigation.

If you are really serious, then look into what Adult Education classes are available at your local TAFE.

• Like 1

Hello Steven and welcome to the forum. Can I guess you're still new to cars and everything automotive ? Probably just got your license too ?

What Ashley said. If you have an internet connection, there is plenty of information available online, especially if you want to start a career around diesel vehicles and or ownership.

I haven't had that much experience around diesels myself. I currently drive a 2017 D-Max, which is a diesel, and I All I pretty much know is how to fill it with diesel and drive it. Maintenance is covered by the dealership as it's a company vehicle, so I miss out on the learning side myself.

Good luck with your future endeavors.

Steven I have the same advice as Ash and Tony, i am sure there are Diesel 101 classes available online especially these days with so many colleges offering online classes, there are so many avenues out there on the interweb thingy.. youtube etc worth a search..I am sure if any on here can help they will 

Good Luck

KAA 

6 hours ago, KAA said:

so many avenues out there on the interweb thingy.. youtube etc worth a search..I am sure if any on here can help they will

I guess I'm speaking for the majority here. You modern folk have it so easy with the internet and a computer in your pocket on the fly.

Back in the day there was no such thing as the internet and we could never have imagined such a thing. I learned everything I know now about cars, both mechanically and bodywork wise from observation, mixing in the right groups, asking tonnes of questions, reading literature and trial and error. The internet hands it to you on a platter. 

I wish we had the internet back in the 80s.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

You modern folk have it so easy with the internet and a computer in your pocket on the fly.

Let us say a lot easier to access information. The hard part is sorting out fact from fiction, the real gold vs fools baseless opinions.

Education is a matter of knowing the basics well, the foundation stones then progressing to the more advanced areas e.g. technical papers and manuals.

It is still a case of Look, Listen, Learn. Something I am always reminding myself to do. You can learn a lot more when you listen and keep your mouth shut until you have a pertinent question.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, campbeam said:

It is still a case of Look, Listen, Learn

Yep. This was instilled into me as a budding A/C tech many years after I ceased painting and working on cars.

The addition I got to the the Look, Listen, Learn was "Feel" As is the case in A/C fault finding. There needs a bit of touchy feely :biggrin:

• Like 1