11 hours ago, NSSherlock said:

I got some on clearance from Supercheap. Will see how they go. I figure I'll replace as needed. The door lights look dull though. Lol

I wouldn't touch half the s**t you get, even working for Bapcor, i'll still go elsewhere for LED's 😂

17 hours ago, TommyM said:

even working for Bapcor

Never heard of this group until I searched it out. It's otherwise known as Bursons. 

They got me out of a pickle once, just going off topic for a moment here, where I was desperate for some Corolla parts one weekday afternoon and NONE of the big three had anything I required, then I discovered a Bursons in my area that I never knew existed and they had ALL the parts in stock. Well done Bursons.

52 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Never heard of this group until I searched it out. It's otherwise known as Bursons. 

They got me out of a pickle once, just going off topic for a moment here, where I was desperate for some Corolla parts one weekday afternoon and NONE of the big three had anything I required, then I discovered a Bursons in my area that I never knew existed and they had ALL the parts in stock. Well done Bursons.

Bapcor includes Burson, Autobarn, Bearing Wholesalers, etc

Just to name a few

Oh we're probably one of the only parts suppliers that stock Toyota OE Denso parts, they may be in a different box, but they're Denso never the less.

1 hour ago, TommyM said:

Oh we're probably one of the only parts suppliers that stock Toyota OE Denso parts, they may be in a different box, but they're Denso never the less.

That's great to know. So the parts themselves are marked as "Denso" despite the different packaging ? Is that what you mean Tommy ?

Would be good to see what they look like actually, to see how the packaging differ. Why do they do this ?

14 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's great to know. So the parts themselves are marked as "Denso" despite the different packaging ? Is that what you mean Tommy ?

Would be good to see what they look like actually, to see how the packaging differ. Why do they do this ?

They take the Toyota label off, it's just a regular Denso part lol. Alot of our PAT premium range varies from denso to hitachi (nissan OE), Delpi, VDO, etc

Denso supply parts for most Toyota's even though Toyota have a vast financial interest in Denso 

14 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm very well alive, just been busy with work & the new car (2nd one anyway)

• 2 weeks later...

T10 in the front parkers. Makes a huge difference. I could actually be seen when I park in the wait queue at Maccas. 

Supercheap said T20 for the reverse but they are way too big. 

Anywhere I can use T20? 

• 2 months later...
6 hours ago, TommyM said:

Been a while since i was active, works just been flat out. How is everyone ?

Good to see that you are still around. Also busier at work with EOFY.

Like most of Australia, I am in lockdown. Interesting times continue. Fortunately, still able to work at home, get paid and save for retirement.

List of maintenance to do items is growing. Waiting for warmer weather and keeping healthy [or is that lazier and fatter on the weekends].

8 hours ago, TommyM said:

Been a while since i was active, works just been flat out. How is everyone ?

Hey Tommy, all OK on the Western front mate. Nice to hear from you again. 
Nearing the end of week 1 of the Sydney lock down and despite the majority of people working from home and barely a soul on the roads, petrol prices have sky rocketed around here for no apparent reason other than to say, "because they can". E10 fly spray is around $1.79. Bloody Crooks !!

Weather here is all over the place too. Sometimes cold, early morning pea soupers, sunny breaks, cloudy, rain, showers, drizzle, then sunny again. The pot hole my wife has been forging in the front yard with the front wheel of the Aurion is getting larger and refuses to dry out too. So that means constant mud spray under the inner guard and I'll give you one guess who has to clean it :laugh:

Gotta do something about that patch of dirt. I was thinking of digging out a 3mx2m section and fill it with aggregate or concrete. I'm too scared to find out how much that's going to cost with the extortionate pricing going on everywhere. The word has gone mad.

Anyway, that's my rant for the day. I try to see the brighter side of life, but damn it gets harder each day.

Take care and keep safe as Robert says. 

Cheers buddy :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, campbeam said:

Good to see that you are still around. Also busier at work with EOFY.

Like most of Australia, I am in lockdown. Interesting times continue. Fortunately, still able to work at home, get paid and save for retirement.

List of maintenance to do items is growing. Waiting for warmer weather and keeping healthy [or is that lazier and fatter on the weekends].

EOFY has reaped some nice benefits for me. I've been spying a few detailing products from my regular local suppliers and managed to get a pretty good deal on some specific items.

Hoping for the weather to clear up a bit so i can have a play with some of them. Like you mentioned, maintenance items is growing for me too. Have to think about doing the coolant flush pretty soon. Looking forward to Spring.

They are also playing petrol games here in Brisbane. Waited a day too long before refilling so missed out on 128.9 and paid 131.9 this morning. Just checked online and price has jumped up to 173.9

I don't know whether you would dare go to Bunnings and pick up a bag or 2 of aggregate for the pot hole in the front yard.

Look forward to your overkill version of doing the coolant flush. Sure that you will be using plenty of distilled water and doing multiple flushes.

14 hours ago, campbeam said:

They are also playing petrol games here in Brisbane. Waited a day too long before refilling so missed out on 128.9 and paid 131.9 this morning. Just checked online and price has jumped up to 173.9

Shame on them ALL.

I don't know whether you would dare go to Bunnings and pick up a bag or 2 of aggregate for the pot hole in the front yard.

I don't know if we're allowed to during this stupid lock down. See what happens. 

Look forward to your overkill version of doing the coolant flush. Sure that you will be using plenty of distilled water and doing multiple flushes.

Haha, yeah. My OCD prevents me from doing a half as*ed job, so if it is a little overkill please forgive me :biggrin:

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Haha 1

Jesus, tell her to lay off the "go fast" pedal then 😂😂

Financial year is always fun, because things pop up you wouldn't otherwise see/find, lucky enough i was super chuffed when i found something i never thought i would. Avalon's had new springs, shocks, mounts all round recently. G6E's had alot spent on it too, works been flat out lol

An original Mark 3 Avalon sales brochure. Rarer than alot of things lol, it's in brilliant condition too !

Found it recently 🙂

20210703_162839.jpg

20210703_162859.jpg

20210703_162910.jpg

20210703_162954.jpg

On 7/1/2021 at 1:16 PM, campbeam said:

Same with Victoria, hence why i use petrolspy, brilliant app, that or fuel lock haha !

On 7/1/2021 at 1:16 PM, campbeam said:

I've already done the Avalon, next time it's due is timing belt 😂

Coolant was clean anyway, though it's weird because now Penrite FINALLY have Toyota's SLLC spec, but in their purple coolant. My G6E already came factory red coolant so i've stuck to it, Nulon's red coolant meets or exceeds the specs in which they call for, so it makes life easier. I flushed it a while ago including with my homemade heater core flushing tool, works brilliant too 😂😂

I did just decarbonise the upper plenum on the Avalon, EGR delete & a few other things. Recently services, gone with Penrite GFS for the last 15k (7500km intervals) and both G6E & Avalon love it, neither burn oil inbetween services.

16 hours ago, TommyM said:

Jesus, tell her to lay off the "go fast" pedal then 😂😂

It's not that, it's more like her pivot point when backing up off the grass into the driveway. She always manages to find the same spot and each time grinds it a little more :laugh:

EOFYS can bring some joy to some. Glad it did for you mate. 

I'm like you in that I love old brochures. I have collected a few different ones over the years. I don't have any for the Aurion though, but I have several for my E36 M3 and several motorcycles I've owned in the past. 

Penrite FINALLY have Toyota's SLLC spec, but in their purple coolant.

That's good to know. Is it competitively priced I wonder. I also trust the Nulon products.

I flushed it a while ago including with my homemade heater core flushing tool, works brilliant too 😂😂

You have to post this up. Love to see it.

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

It's not that, it's more like her pivot point when backing up off the grass into the driveway. She always manages to find the same spot and each time grinds it a little more :laugh:

Bloody pivot point bahahahaha

Must be skidding for gold.... *cough cough* digging for gold

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm like you in that I love old brochures. I have collected a few different ones over the years. I don't have any for the Aurion though, but I have several for my E36 M3 and several motorcycles I've owned in the past. 

But finding a brochure for a Mark 3 Avalon though considering there was less than 10k built is like finding a needle in a haystack 😂

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/19/2021 at 4:08 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

I didn't even see this comment 😂😂

But cheers, i/we appreciate it. Chances are if you want genuine parts, Burson can get'em.

Coils were starting to break down on my G6E, now i know for a fact the OEM are indeed VDO. So, i brought a set to rectify the slight issue atm. It's hit the point where they always break down haha !

Otherwise nothing wrong with it. 

Happy to report i did do a purchase the other day & brought a new set of rubbers/tires/tyres for the Avalon. God what a difference it's made compared to the Continental's prior 😂😂😂

Recently i've had all new shocks, strut mounts, bearings & new springs through it. Yes it's a bit firmer than stock, but regardless it's still super comfortable 😂

Now it actually wants to take turns confidently. Combined with the new rubber, nope.... it still wants to break traction on dry pavement 😂

Suppose it's just a tight engine still, but i do run it on 98 routinely so that probably helps with it being able to fully advance timing based on the RON rating used. 

Looking forward to seeing the full details of the tyres that you purchased i.e. Brand, Model, Size.

Also a follow up recommendation after the initial joy of new tyres has passed.  

15 hours ago, campbeam said:

Looking forward to seeing the full details of the tyres that you purchased i.e. Brand, Model, Size.

Also a follow up recommendation after the initial joy of new tyres has passed.  

I actually went with something completely unexpected.

Ended up going with Dunlop SP Sport FM800's

215/55/R16 97W XL

Big reasons i chose them. Not many tyres had the load ratings i was after. But compared to the Continental, these have stiffer sidewalls. Noticeably compared to the terrible Continental's on there. Which had nothing but gripe with.

Doughey steering on centre, don't really like taking rapid manoeuvres, super stressful in the wet, etc. 

The Dunlop's not only have a stiffer sidewall, but for a performance oriented tyre in the size i'm after. So far in the few hundred k's. Combined with the new springs/shocks, alignment, etc have completely transformed the Avalon. It's no HSV GTS but now it actually holds it's lane even at speeds 60km/h+ going into a right hand turn for example, it just grips & goes the direction you want it. Now i've got that direct "on centre" steering i lacked before.

Quieter

Much higher quality feeling tyre (Conti - China) (Dunlop - Thailand). 

Very noticable improvement in overall steering response 

Better water dispersing channels

I'm an enthusiastic driver, but now the Avalon although firmer than stock, haven't had a chance to really get a good photo. But now it's actually sitting cleanly flat, not ***** end happy. It's still super comfortable regardless. It handles the black spur with absolute ease, i actually found myself putting in a bit much steering because i had to do it prior. Also the new suspension aids in putting the power down. Still can break traction even on dry pavement like i said. 

Could have gone Yokohama BluEarth AE51 GT's but even through 2 of my contacts (Tyrepower & Jax) have both told me the Dunlop will be the better tyre with the options i previously gave them. I'm glad i did !

Wet stopping is probably the biggest improvement 😂

Edited by TommyM
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Hope everyone is well, not much is new besides going insane with Victoria's ridiculous curfew. Done some more work to the Toyota recently. Transmission service (which ended up with a slight leak due to a dodgy seal), so i have to drop the clean fluid & use a GENUINE gasket. What a pain in the ***** honestly haha !

Did the fuel filter (in-tank), used an aftermarket "quality" filter. And guess what ?, issues with that too. Car runs fine, but shut the car off... minute later the pressure bleeds back into the tank because it isn't sealing properly, so again, had to go genuine for that one too. 

This is why i use Mann-Hummel filters where i can, because Ryco and associates just aren't up to scratch. Having come from Mercedes, i know basically 90% of "genuine filters" are actually made by Mann-Hummel. And truth ?, they're a much more solid built filter with the added European certified. Bit overkill. Made in Germany too !

Now Mann-Hummel don't do every single filter, but oil, fuel & air i can get for my Toyota. Same with the G6E, etc.

Hi Tommy, all ok on the Western Front, despite being in lockdown and cerfew'd too. 

Bit surprised to hear about the Ryco product. They are usually the first port of call for aftermarket choice. I guess they aren't immune to declining quality control we've been accustomed to lately. I don't know why this is really. It's such a shame.

I haven't searched out Mann filters for the Aurion, but I have heard they are exceptional quality. I have always used the Mahle brand oil filters for my M3 and they are just supreme quality. You have to love German attention to detail. Quality is second to none.

During my transmission service I used the cork gasket that came with the kit and later had me thinking that wasn't a good idea. I think the service kit was a waste of money to be honest. The original strainer was perfectly fine as was the original Toyota gasket. Not that I would re use an old gasket, but I should've just bought another Toyota original gasket. I have done so since and it's in storage awaiting my next pan drain service. I'm going to toss the cork gasket in the rubbish.

As for Fuel filters, 50 series owners have extremely little choice. It's either Genuine Toyota or Coopers, who it seems has the sole right to reproduce the 50 series item. Ryco and the rest don't have one in their catalogue. I found out the hard way and I've documented this in the Aurion forum. Very frustrating stuff, so I feel your pain having to do things twice.