35 minutes ago, TommyM said:

It's just a well balanced engine, naturally being a straight 6 ! 

Torque has always been bragging rights over the respective rivals. 

100%

36 minutes ago, TommyM said:

You'd be suprised, if you know the right people you can get it for 30% off. Rang my mob retail on one headlight for my Avalon is $480. I'm getting'em for $300 each, mind you the buy in price to them is like $243. I've asked all the questions dw. 

Man, that's a good deal. Unfortunately for me I don't have anyone in the game and I just have to resort to searching out the best possible deals. I've been lucky over the years though i must say.

14 hours ago, TommyM said:

Yeah exactly. And in reality they're very mechanical which is what i like (hydraulic power steering, etc). Being an FG, the barra was truely sorted by that point, you hardly ever pull a rocker cover off one. They improved the seal, b series always leak lol. So in saying that i know there's alot of potential for power

Sorry, forgive the slight off topic, but I had to include this for you Tommy.. Enjoy

7 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Sorry, forgive the slight off topic, but I had to include this for you Tommy.. Enjoy

Seen that, it's just a bit "mental" lol

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

100%

Man, that's a good deal. Unfortunately for me I don't have anyone in the game and I just have to resort to searching out the best possible deals. I've been lucky over the years though i must say.

Let me know man and i'll see what i can do for you. I have a few contacts. Anything you need, even better pricing on oil. I can link you up with any burson store and give them a price for you, etc

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, TommyM said:

Let me know man and i'll see what i can do for you. I have a few contacts. Anything you need, even better pricing on oil. I can link you up with any burson store and give them a price for you, etc

Absolute Legend !! Thanks Tommy :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Absolute Legend !! Thanks Tommy :thumbsup:

It's all good, just need to know your nearest burson for future ref haha !

I've got plenty external socials if you want ?, snap, insta, etc

Gotta share the love somehow 😂😂

Use my brains instead of wasting my knowledge haha !

Edited by TommyM

• 3 weeks later...

@Tony Prodigy

I was doing some research and calling up a few contacts that i know. So i've used Penrite ENVIRO+ GFS in both my Toyota & G6E, now.... after several services i personally don't think it stands up to the expectations i want. I stick with their ATF's purely because i know they're brilliant, higher flashpoints than alot of the competition, similar composition makeup with a bit better additive/anti-wear packs, etc. But oil wise i'm switching to Shell Helix Ultra 5w40, upon looking as the base oils & GTL. I'm looking forward to having the protection i want, etc. The Ultra better competes with Penrites Ten Tenths range. Also i was very particular about the dynamic viscosity at -30 (Helix ultra's tested at -40), suppose shell wanted to go a bit further, along with at 40°C & 100°C. Now.... the HPR5 is brilliant don't get me wrong, but the base oils in the Helix Ultra exceed, whilst being a not overly thick 5w40 which is what i was after. Both are SP spec which is well above the specs back when they were new. It'll be interesting to see the results come the next intervals. Less impurities, better final product i say. Off memory Penrite & Nulon get alot of their oil from Singapore, where alot of the base in Shell is Qatar haha !

I remember one of you boys saying you've had nothing but good results with it. 

Notes worth mentioning.... Even the 5w30 X Helix Ultra has a higher flashpoint than the GFS & HPR5. 

Edited by TommyM
  • Like 2

• 5 months later...

G'day all, hope everyones well.

Thought i'd give you all an update

No.1 - i'm not dead 🤣

Just been stupidly busy with things recently, got around to fixing a few things that were bothering me on my Avalon (mostly the ridiculous 2000rpm cold start idle) - which turned out to be a faulty ISCV (f**k me it was expensive) to me it was only $290 for a genuine Toyota/Aisin part, list price was around $620, so tomorrow i'll check with a full cold start & go from there. Last service was done roughly 1000km ago, sent the last of the Penrite ENVIRO+ GFS 5w30 off to blackstone for analysis, oil sample came back great, only worthy mention was slightly higher lead content which isn't to say the oil was the issue, that itself tested fine, but it had sheared alot due to the nature of how bad the MZ engine family destroy oil. I've also fitted an oil/air seperator which is catching oil swiftly. So i've gone to the ENVIRO+ 5w40 for one big reason, the higher TBN (additive pack) & Viscosity index (more stable across various temp ranges) - bit better shear too.

I don't think the ISCV is supposed to have chunks missing 🤣

Combined with the magnetic being fried on the cold temp range (under 40°C) engine temp. Resistance values were out of spec.

Below i provided a copy of my oil analysis. It'll be interesting to see how the next sample tests in 7500km

20220315_200446.jpg

20220315_200510.jpg

20220315_200458.jpg

oil%20sample.docx

Edited by TommyM
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, TommyM said:

it was only $290 for a genuine Toyota/Aisin part

20220315_200510.jpg

This is just the pedant in me coming out, but Aisan and Aisin are two completely different companies.  Both are deeply associated with Toyota however - Aisan will be mainly engine components (historically carburetors and fuel systems) and Aisin will be predominantly drivetrain components (although they do engine stuff too along with just about everything else)

20 minutes ago, Hiro said:

This is just the pedant in me coming out, but Aisan and Aisin are two completely different companies.  Both are deeply associated with Toyota however - Aisan will be mainly engine components (historically carburetors and fuel systems) and Aisin will be predominantly drivetrain components (although they do engine stuff too along with just about everything else)

Valid point, but even my old unit said Aisan which i just thought was an "I", regardless it's suprising to find a genuine part, the magnetic on the lower section is actually a Toyota part funny enough 🤣🤣

So it's more a Toyota/Aisan part haha !

I noticed that Aisan in parts on my Yota, thought i was tripping but obviously not. 🙂

People ask why use ENVIRO+ in an older Toyota ?, it's simple. Better additives than comparable HPR, etc - Plus mine called for API SM (GF-4) i believe was the equivalent. 260k later, still runs like a swiss watch.

• 1 year later...

G'day @Tony Prodigy @Hiro

Hope you've all been well, i've been pretty MIA from the forum. Had alot of work i've done to my Avalon, including common maintenance things. Just replaced the rocker cover gaskets because they were leakin a bit. Did the full timing kit inc all gaskets, waterpump, etc again recently. New control arms, balljoints, etc

Did the headliner which looks beautiful 

New front bumper which really sharpened up the front end.

However i thought i'd forward some images of how clean my engine actually is given it's clocking up close to 275,000km.

I was honestly surprised with how clean the valvetrain is given these are notorious to get dirty, sludge etc. My mechanic even said it's the cleanest 1MZ-FE he works on with similar k's

20231027_103721.jpg

20231027_101655.jpg

20231027_103729.jpg

20231027_102259.jpg

20231027_101736.jpg

• Thanks 1

Tom the fact the engine was so clean shows how well you look after your baby, glad all went well doing the services required and now you know just how good she is into the future. Thanks for the Pic's mate

KAA

8 hours ago, KAA said:

Tom the fact the engine was so clean shows how well you look after your baby, glad all went well doing the services required and now you know just how good she is into the future. Thanks for the Pic's mate

KAA

Hell i even brought genuine gaskets/tube seals because they're funnily cheaper than aftermarket & without a doubt better. 😂😂

I was really suprised though considering the reputation these have for build up, sludge, etc. My mechanic (who i also know personally), and his son i grew up with basically said.

Hell i even brought genuine gaskets/tube seals because they're funnily cheaper than aftermarket & without a doubt better. 😂😂

"Because whenever you do drive it, you put it through a full heat cycle, that combined with 7500km or less intervals & the best quality oil although over kill is why it's so clean, cams have minimal wear same with the bucket shims". 

I've been running Castrol Edge A3/B4 for a while now & it's the quietest it's ever been, i found with Penrite near the 5000km mark there'd be a little more valvetrain noise during the OCI, however since going to Castrol it's quiet all the way through the service interval. The fact this thing has no oil consumption issues currently suprises me more so 😂

To date it's ran

Penrite ENVIRO+ GF5 & GFS (not bad but could be a little better, great in my FG though)

Castrol Edge 5w30 A3/B4 (API SL*, MB 229.5 approval)

Penrite ENVIRO+ 5w40 (C3/MB 229.51 approval)

Shell Helix Ultra 5w40 

And earlier during the previous owner who my fam knew, Mobil 1 5w30, but it's a PITA to source same with Shell Helix Ultra in bulk so i just stuck with Penrite/Castrol. 

Now i'm almost due for a new set of rubber. Contemplating

Falken Ziex ZE310

Hankook Ventus Prime 4

Yokohama BluEarth AE51-GT 

I've driven vehicles with Primacy 4 & 4 ST, but they're way to soft for the handling i require or reassurance grip.

I did just have a set of Dunlop SP Sport FM800's, they were a solid tyre, but felt a bit too devoid of road feel & a little too soft for my liking. How's things with the aurion squad ?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, KAA said:

KAA

Also considering it's been a while, here's how the interior is looking. Combined with replacing the headliner due to age it was starting to drop. However everything else is original.

Don't mind the sheen, i'd just used a leather conditioner that previous day, not silicone s**t. Also hint the new power steering reservoir 😆

I do have floor mats but took'em out for the images initially.

20230908_134858.jpg

20230908_134837.jpg

20231015_204943.jpg

20231015_204938.jpg

20231015_204847.jpg

20231015_204547.jpg

20231015_204650.jpg

20231017_164616.jpg

20231017_164357.jpg

• Thanks 1

Yes mate it shows the tLC you put into keeping her immaculate. I am also the same way so our 2009 Aurion Presara "Faye" is also perfect for a 14 year old beauty. I love taking my beloved wife out in a clean quiet super comfy beauty as it is what both deserve. 

Thanks for the Pic's mate here is some of our "Faye"

KAA

20220912_172605.jpg

20220912_174659.jpg

20220912_172657.jpg

20220912_172537.jpg

Black Grille 1.jpg

20211029_135115_1.jpg

4 hours ago, KAA said:

Yes mate it shows the tLC you put into keeping her immaculate. I am also the same way so our 2009 Aurion Presara "Faye" is also perfect for a 14 year old beauty. I love taking my beloved wife out in a clean quiet super comfy beauty as it is what both deserve. 

Thanks for the Pic's mate here is some of our "Faye"

KAA

20220912_172605.jpg

20220912_174659.jpg

20220912_172657.jpg

20220912_172537.jpg

Black Grille 1.jpg

20211029_135115_1.jpg

Looking good as always, the only thing i wish they'd kept from the Avalon is the opera windows in the body, because the blind spots in the avalon are minimal vs the later aurions. I swear the "woodgrain effect" trim was carried over because my steering wheel looks identical 😂

Same with my trim pieces. Atleast there was pros & cons with either model. End of the day i'll probably be selling my G6E at some point & moving to a later gen V6 Camry SL or late 16'/17' Aurion Presara. Still cross shopping a few things, but ol'e faithful is here to stay. Funnily enough the 4sp is way more willing to kickdown vs my ZF box FG at times can be "Napping". Although i'm undecided on being picky and finding a cashmere interior Aurion/Camry or going black. I've always liked the cashmere interior on my G6E, although a bi**h to keep clean.

• Like 1

Patterson Cheney Toyota in Dandenong were the original selling dealer back in the day. They admire seeing it come in from time to time. Some of the guys say the Avalon's weren't exactly world class, but they were exceptionally well built cars. Combined with the amount of Lexus bits you find in'em. They're solid

Still rep the dealer plate covers too 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TommyM said:

the only thing i wish they'd kept from the Avalon is the opera windows in the body, because the blind spots in the avalon are minimal vs the later aurions.

You mean quarter windows?  Opera windows haven't been on cars since the ~'70s/80s (and then mainly on vinyl-roofed pimpmobiles)

• Haha 2

11 hours ago, Hiro said:

You mean quarter windows?  Opera windows haven't been on cars since the ~'70s/80s (and then mainly on vinyl-roofed pimpmobiles)

Quarter windows/opera windows. Similar concept haha. But yes the body integrated quarter windows vs putting a massive "C" pillar. Vinyl roofed pimpmobiles, love it 🤣🤣

• Haha 1