Glad i am not the only one taking a nice nap on this rainy Sunday..has been heavy rain all day here on the Central Coast..however this morning I did manage to get into the garage and clean the seats and leather trim in the Aurion..I am getting near the end of my Oakwood Kit and wife said she is going to spoil me with a new kit..I have used it for years on many cars and always find it brings up the leather beautifully..so I think I will stick with it..plus love the feel of nice soft clean leather ..always surprised how dirty the steering wheel gets..must be from the sweat of watching out for idiot drivers, and the ones like yesterday that take it for granted i will let them in when flying past me towards an oncoming 18 wheeler and diving in..fortunately i always allow for that and back off as they do their idiotic thing

Keep Well All, Stay Safe Stay Smart

KAA. 

22 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I can't even do any of that Ash. It's raining quite moderately here today. I wanted to remove the pcv for inspection.

On the 3.5L ?, jeez where did Toyota place it on them. On the 1MZ it's pretty easy to access/clean 😁

3 minutes ago, TommyM said:

On the 3.5L ?, jeez where did Toyota place it on them

On top just under the dress cover to the right. It's pretty easy to get to. Just didn't want to work in the rain.

20 hours ago, KAA said:

Glad i am not the only one taking a nice nap on this rainy Sunday..has been heavy rain all day here on the Central Coast..however this morning I did manage to get into the garage and clean the seats and leather trim in the Aurion..I am getting near the end of my Oakwood Kit and wife said she is going to spoil me with a new kit..I have used it for years on many cars and always find it brings up the leather beautifully..so I think I will stick with it..plus love the feel of nice soft clean leather ..always surprised how dirty the steering wheel gets..must be from the sweat of watching out for idiot drivers, and the ones like yesterday that take it for granted i will let them in when flying past me towards an oncoming 18 wheeler and diving in..fortunately i always allow for that and back off as they do their idiotic thing

Keep Well All, Stay Safe Stay Smart

KAA. 

Yeah the glycerine soap initially cleans so well, it's non dangerous to leather. So hence why i reccomend doing it. Takes time but deep cleaning it, the results speak for themselves in my case. My legs paid the price for how long it took but 🤣🤣🤣

I cleaned my wood steering wheel (which the Grande has), but put on a leather steering wheel cover which matches the interior to protect it better.

2 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

On top just under the dress cover to the right. It's pretty easy to get to. Just didn't want to work in the rain.

Ahhhh that's alright then, not too bad of a spot. Atleast it's not an "intake manifold off" job 🤣

On 6/9/2020 at 6:08 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

I tend to suffer from the same affliction from time to time too mate. I get it. I really do :biggrin:

When I bought my RZ Camry it came with an offer of fixed price servicing of $140 for the first 3-4 years....

But I still supply my own oil..... 

Because I too understand the affliction :blush:

But then again the dealership reckons that a Semi-Synthetic Castrol oil lasts 15,000km / 9 months.....

I humbly STRONGLY disagree....

Edited by Novicebutnice

26 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

But then again the dealership reckons that a Semi-Synthetic Castrol oil lasts 15,000km / 9 months.....

I humbly STRONGLY disagree....

Nothing humble about my disagreement and this is why.

https://www.automology.com/sludge-the-engine-killer/

My guess is that you are supplying a full synthetic engine oil to support an extended oil change interval.

6 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Nothing humble about my disagreement and this is why.

https://www.automology.com/sludge-the-engine-killer/

My guess is that you are supplying a full synthetic engine oil to support an extended oil change interval.

Even with using full Synthetic I would still like to change the oil more often than the 15,000 km 9 months, but my local dealership doesn't like taking money off me :sad:

To me 15,000 km / 9 months is an extended oil drain :smile:

I used to be a car mechanic at a dealership (not Toyota), and so as soon as they said "semi-synthetic" and the brand I was like... oh hell no!

Edited by Novicebutnice

2 hours ago, Novicebutnice said:

Even with using full Synthetic I would still like to change the oil more often than the 15,000 km 9 months, but my local dealership doesn't like taking money off me :sad:

To me 15,000 km / 9 months is an extended oil drain :smile:

I used to be a car mechanic at a dealership (not Toyota), and so as soon as they said "semi-synthetic" and the brand I was like... oh hell no!

Well if that were my money i'd do what they do on the older Toyota's 

Half it to 7500km. Another thing that pisses me off is how Toyota went backwards on the latest Kluger stating they recommend 20w50 dino oil, all because owners of soccer mum cars were complaining about the price of oil. Older ones like the 1MZ strictly call for full synthetic for obvious reasons.

40 minutes ago, TommyM said:

Toyota went backwards on the latest Kluger stating they recommend 20w50 dino oil, all because owners of soccer mum cars were complaining about the price of oil.

That sounds unbelievable like a proven recipe for disaster.

I checked the Lube Guides for Penrite and Nulon. Recommended oil for a 2016-2020 Kluger is either a full synthetic 0W-20  or 5W-30 oil

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

That sounds unbelievable like a proven recipe for disaster.

I checked the Lube Guides for Penrite and Nulon. Recommended oil for a 2016-2020 Kluger is either a full synthetic 0W-20  or 5W-30 oil

There was an article on it, trying to remember where i saw it.

11 hours ago, campbeam said:

Wow. That is really terrible advice, especially after everything we NOW know about the potential for sludging. Also makes a good argument for a catch can.

Fixed price servicing is also code for: We will service your car the cheapest possible way with inferior oil. I also doubt they let it drain thoroughly either.

I feel for those who can't perform their own maintenance and hope they have an honest mechanic. For me, I will try and do everything myself. I can take my time and do it the right way and use the proper fluids.

11 hours ago, Novicebutnice said:

Good for you Stephen. They didn't bet on you coming at them with that. They assume that we're all mugs at the end of the day. Most people won't know the difference.

8 hours ago, TommyM said:

Another thing that pisses me off is how Toyota went backwards on the latest Kluger stating they recommend 20w50 dino oil, all because owners of soccer mum cars were complaining about the price of oil

That's hilarious Tommy 🤣 They want the champagne lifestyle on a beer budget lol... Perhaps they should buy a car that fits their means ??

7 hours ago, TommyM said:

There was an article on it, trying to remember where i saw it.

I will definitely be interested to have a read of that article. Perhaps it was written by John Cleese or Monty Python. 

21 hours ago, TommyM said:

Well if that were my money i'd do what they do on the older Toyota's 

Half it to 7500km. Another thing that pisses me off is how Toyota went backwards on the latest Kluger stating they recommend 20w50 dino oil, all because owners of soccer mum cars were complaining about the price of oil. Older ones like the 1MZ strictly call for full synthetic for obvious reasons.

That's pretty much what my aim is, we'll see what happens next time I take it in for an in between oil and filter change :tank: 

Edited by Novicebutnice

12 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Wow. That is really terrible advice, especially after everything we NOW know about the potential for sludging. Also makes a good argument for a catch can.

Fixed price servicing is also code for: We will service your car the cheapest possible way with inferior oil. I also doubt they let it drain thoroughly either.

I feel for those who can't perform their own maintenance and hope they have an honest mechanic. For me, I will try and do everything myself. I can take my time and do it the right way and use the proper fluids.

Good for you Stephen. They didn't bet on you coming at them with that. They assume that we're all mugs at the end of the day. Most people won't know the difference.

That's hilarious Tommy 🤣 They want the champagne lifestyle on a beer budget lol... Perhaps they should buy a car that fits their means ??

That's why I was surprised, esp since on Youtube they (Toyota) were advertising the same servicing schedule in North America using Mobile 1.....

Which is why I asked to confirm etc... glad I did!

What I don't understand is why they don't offer an oil upgrade option

So for $30 extra on top of the capped price Service you get full synthetic oil

But then again as I'm sure we are all aware, a lot of people who own cars don't want to spend a cent more than they have to..... oh look no name black round things at $20 each.... it's not like they connect my car to the road... what could possibly go wrong....... I'll take 4.....

Edited by Novicebutnice

9 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

What I don't understand is why they don't offer an oil upgrade option

I think if they did it would then make the consumer suspicious right ? Then this would undermine their strategy which puts the onus back onto the consumer if it does sludge up. They will use the catch cry of "it was due to the consumer negligence and that they should change their oil often" 

Hello !! Toyota themselves, including other manufacturers are advocating for LONGER service intervals. This in itself is the root cause for sludging potential is it not ??

The service book reflect this too. It's a shame they have stooped to this.

18 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I think if they did it would then make the consumer suspicious right ? Then this would undermine their strategy which puts the onus back onto the consumer if it does sludge up. They will use the catch cry of "it was due to the consumer negligence and that they should change their oil often" 

Hello !! Toyota themselves, including other manufacturers are advocating for LONGER service intervals. This in itself is the root cause for sludging potential is it not ??

The service book reflect this too. It's a shame they have stooped to this.

I remember when I was doing my apprenticeship and I looked at the owners Service schedule for a certain brand : 

"15,000km normal driving conditions"

"7500 km under severe driving conditions"

And what was in the list of "Severe diving conditions"... pretty much everything, from highway driving, to city driving.....

I think part of the problem is that I think the manufacturers are trying to win people back to their Service departments and away from corner garages, 

and also try to make it seem inexpensive to own their brand of car.

Yes oils have come a long way, but so have engines.

Edited by Novicebutnice
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

I think part of the problem is that I think the manufacturers are trying to win people back to their Service departments and away from corner garages, 

You're probably right there but damn it sure is at a greater risk to the consumer. I'd stick with what the local garage guy would say over the dealer any day. The dealer is a corporation with shareholders and they only care about money at the end of the day. I'd rather give my money to the small business owner if I had to have something done that's out of my league.

I agree with Tony about who looks after my car..I have used the same mechanic for 20 years now..would NEVER go to anyone else..Mostly because he knows me..knows what I like..knows my vehicles..always does the best job possible..always friendly both himself his wife and his mechanics..PLUS..in these mad times I would rather give him the work and keep his family business operating rather than a huge company who are all about turnover and money

Support small local business in these sad and scary times they need us

KAA

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Novicebutnice said:

And what was in the list of "Severe diving conditions"... pretty much everything, from highway driving, to city driving.....

Yes oils have come a long way, but so have engines.

Severe driving conditions also applies to changing the automatic transmission fluid.

All about marketing and perceptions of total ownership to get the sale today. Extended warranties and fixed price servicing are significant factors.

Engine design is being pushed along to meet govt. restrictions. In turn, engine oils are being developed to meet the ever increasing demands of the engine manufacturers. There seems to be more specialty oils for specific engines, Euro cars etc.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/penrite-penrite-enviro-engine-oil-0w-20-5-litre/540066.html

• Like 1

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Severe driving conditions also applies to changing the automatic transmission fluid.

All about marketing and perceptions of total ownership to get the sale today. Extended warranties and fixed price servicing are significant factors.

Engine design is being pushed along to meet govt. restrictions. In turn, engine oils are being developed to meet the ever increasing demands of the engine manufacturers. There seems to be more specialty oils for specific engines, Euro cars etc.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/penrite-penrite-enviro-engine-oil-0w-20-5-litre/540066.html

I don't think I've ever come across 0w-20 oil. Wow, that's sewing machine oil 🤣

• Haha 1

Same here Tony..saw that post and thought hmm i have a litre of my wife's singer oil I wonder Hmmmm..

I also feel that my wife and I are losing our mind's and I blame the girl at Kmart who takes our temp every time we go in..I am sure they are erasing my brain with the scanner..I was with the wife who was looking for Tracksuit Pants and we came out with new sheets..another Hmmm moment LOL

😱😱😱

KAA

• Haha 2

10 hours ago, KAA said:

I also feel that my wife and I are losing our mind's and I blame the girl at Kmart who takes our temp every time we go in..I am sure they are erasing my brain with the scanner..I was with the wife who was looking for Tracksuit Pants and we came out with new sheets..another Hmmm moment LOL

Haha, I get my brain zapped/erased every morning where I work at the Hospital so don't feel so bad mate. 

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2020 at 4:35 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

I don't think I've ever come across 0w-20 oil. Wow, that's sewing machine oil 🤣

I first saw it for the Honda Hybrid Civics when they first came to Australia (I was working in the PD dept at the time and we needed to have some of that oil in case we needed to top any cars up),

Though the girlfriend's Subaru Liberty uses 5W20  :shocking:

Which kind of begs the question, thinner fuel to save on fuel like 0W20 or 5W20

Or slightly thicker oil for what should be better protection, heat dissipation, cleansing (?) etc like 5W30, 5W40 etc

Me personally I go the slightly thicker oil (not exceeding the manufacturers recommendations)

The age old saying was that as a car gets older and starts to blow smoke the "fix" was just to put in thicker engine oil, but nowadays with the size of the oil gallery holes, and in general tighter tolerances in engines means that you can't really do that. 

1 hour ago, Novicebutnice said:

The age old saying was that as a car gets older and starts to blow smoke the "fix" was just to put in thicker engine oil, but nowadays with the size of the oil gallery holes, and in general tighter tolerances in engines means that you can't really do that. 

Yep, the old boat anchors were pretty crude back then. 20w-50 + STP featured a lot at our place :laugh::laugh:

• Like 1