7 hours ago, campbeam said:

It is because they have bought a new vehicle [most likely financed] that they cannot afford to service. Too busy keeping up appearances and too much household debt.

100%. I can't stand the "keeping up with the Jones' rubbish". I know plenty people like this and it sickens me.

Whatever happened to humility ? People are so consumed with what nice things others have and forget to what's really important.

1 hour ago, TommyM said:

I actually have a completely stupid question to ask. Am i the only one who thinks it's odd that the Camry of the same era had the same dual cooling fans (V6) and seperate condenser fan mounted up front, where as the Avalon just had twin electric fans ?

I noticed it the other day now i think about it. 

Any light would be appreciated. 

MCX10R (Avalon) twin electric, but no condenser fan ?, could be the blade design is higher volume thus not needing a 3rd ?.

XV20 (Camry 4cyl/V6) twin electric & third seperate condenser fan.

XV30 (Camry 4cyl/V6) twin electric ?, not sure if they retained the third condenser fan.

Hi Tommy, not a stupid question if it made you post it up at 3am 😁 I love your dedication mate.

I suspect the Avalon may just have a different pitch on the blades enabling more air volume compared to the Camry. It is also possible that the wiring harness on the Camry is such that it includes the third fan as an inherent design feature due to the Camry being a more universal vehicle where the extra cooling may be required in the more hotter parts of the world. 

Not sure if your model Avalon was sold in the Middle East or the U.S. I always seemed to think that it was a car made for our market. Sorry, my knowledge on Avalon is quite thin. 

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

XV20 (Camry 4cyl/V6) twin electric & third seperate condenser fan.

I do not remember seeing a separate condenser fan on our 4cyl 1998 XV20 Camry. I more recall the twin electric fans in the radiator housing/shroud.

I did have to replace the radiator so I know there is a difference between the 4 and 6 cyl for that series/model.

8 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Hi Tommy, not a stupid question if it made you post it up at 3am 😁 I love your dedication mate.

I suspect the Avalon may just have a different pitch on the blades enabling more air volume compared to the Camry. It is also possible that the wiring harness on the Camry is such that it includes the third fan as an inherent design feature due to the Camry being a more universal vehicle where the extra cooling may be required in the more hotter parts of the world. 

Not sure if your model Avalon was sold in the Middle East or the U.S. I always seemed to think that it was a car made for our market. Sorry, my knowledge on Avalon is quite thin. 

The Avalon was re-tooled for Australia from the US market, we only got it for one generation (99' - 05') which was basically the XX10 but completely changed, improved & better than the first gen US model which was rather bland, Australia changed alot in suspension, body structure, crash protection, etc etc. Even though it was an older design, we just did it better 🤣😉

I had a hunch it might have been a universal "one condenser fan does all, even if not required as much" sorta situation. But strange the Avalon didn't, the only thing i can think is because mine has an optional external power steering cooler & transmission cooler, i got higher volume fans or something. I had just got home from work, a friend of mine was busting my chops asking about a Camry wagon with a V6, i looked at it, etc and noticed the condenser fan. I crashed not long after 🤣🤣🤣

Well we're in stage 4 lockdown so i can't do much. Why not strike a convo with the boys ?

4 hours ago, campbeam said:

I do not remember seeing a separate condenser fan on our 4cyl 1998 XV20 Camry. I more recall the twin electric fans in the radiator housing/shroud.

I did have to replace the radiator so I know there is a difference between the 4 and 6 cyl for that series/model.

Naturally i would have presumed so, but i know the starlet had an external condenser fan lol

3 examples, 2 have it but alot of the other ones don't. Strange 🤣🤣

Or like i predicted the fans are completely different, they have a more generic low volume fan. Avalon had Lexus ES300 fans which are higher flow, either sold as 1 twin unit or 2 seperate ones. In my case 2 seperate fans with the same design blade. (Example A) XV20

(Example B) XX10 & later fitted to the XV30 Camry

20200803_124109.jpg

20200803_124133.jpg

20200803_124043.jpg

20200803_125457.jpg

20200803_125432.jpg

Edited by TommyM

17 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Your car was specified with a tow pack then. Does it have a tow bar ?

It's the only conclusion i can think of. But i think the fan setup/blade design doesn't warrant for a 3rd fan when they pull alot more air through. Even without a tow pack the fans are the same. But having the external coolers i do appreciate. It had a tow pack that still looked near new, probably had a small bike trailer twice that's how clean/rust free the ball was, i've since removed part of the system. I'm not going to use it 

But the coolers, massive plus !

I have always appreciated having a towbar fitted even if you do not use it much. Towbar fitted on a previous vehicle saved me when I reversed into a bollard at a Shopping Centre a few years ago.

It also helps to keep the tailgaters at a distance.

Still remember a bumper sticker "My towbar, Your radiator guess which one wins" and the business Enogerra Towbar and Radiator Centre.

Unfortunately, no towbar on my ATX but the standby Prodigy has one fitted.

• Haha 1

53 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I have always appreciated having a towbar fitted even if you do not use it much. Towbar fitted on a previous vehicle saved me when I reversed into a bollard at a Shopping Centre a few years ago.

It also helps to keep the tailgaters at a distance.

Still remember a bumper sticker "My towbar, Your radiator guess which one wins" and the business Enogerra Towbar and Radiator Centre.

Unfortunately, no towbar on my ATX but the standby Prodigy has one fitted.

Damn straight ! I have a pretty stout towbar fitted to my new Colorado and I'm never tentative about tailgaters. I know I'll always have the last laugh !

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Damn straight ! I have a pretty stout towbar fitted to my new Colorado and I'm never tentative about tailgaters. I know I'll always have the last laugh !

I'm just taking the shank/tounge off i gather. The system is still there, i've got backup sensors sooo 🤣

I hate backup cameras, call me old school for preferring sensors. Well the Avalon actually was a suprisingly stout car when it came to towing, in terms of braked and unbraked towing capacity, etc. But i'm not going to be towing with it full stop. 

I have plenty tricks up my sleeve don't worry 😉

• Like 1

@TommyM

1MZ-FE shouldn't use a drop of oil unless there's issues with it & you still haven't answered the Q about your type of driving/mileage 😉

Be sure to post them pics when you're done. I can already see the interior looks pretty darn good, all leather too.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, ZZT86 said:

@TommyM

1MZ-FE shouldn't use a drop of oil unless there's issues with it & you still haven't answered the Q about your type of driving/mileage 😉

Be sure to post them pics when you're done. I can already see the interior looks pretty darn good, all leather too.

Actually wrong, all engines will burn the slightest amount of oil (crankcase vapour), and even by the book it's "up to X amount every X amount of k's"

I can't remember exactly but mine doesn't burn anything noticeable, oh i actually mentioned it in a prior post 😉

Full Toyota service history MY05 2004 Toyota Avalon Grande. When i say full, i mean all the way back to 3km on the odo with every interval documented at Toyota & now me lol. One owner, elderly guy. I couldn't not buy it.

All the extra cooling options part of the tow group has severly extended it's expected life span. Ticked over 237k the other day, doesn't drive like it 

Now running full synthetic fluids where applicable.

Mobil 1 0w40 (and Toyota OEM filter)

Penrite ATF full synthetic (also flushed the power steering rack/cooler), etc etc

Upgraded the bulbs to phillips XtremeVision all round (+130%) massively improves light performance & colour) high, low & fogs 

Only thing it needs is D bushes & that's it. Otherwise there isn't a thing wrong with it apart from it not being driven, now i've been driving it, runs like a top

Freezing air con too 🤣

Even the auto headlights work properly how they should be done (not how ford/gm of the time did) i run it on 98RON

Because i choose to run all my cars on it, yes they do noticeably benefit from it (being a high compression engine 10.5:1), also having an adaptive ECU that tailors to octane rating (Ford had that on the Barra), Toyota had it on the first gen (Well Mark 1) Avalon. Either way, it kills EcoTec's gracefully & smoothly 🤣🤣🤣

Basically i only use OEM filters. Unless it's Mercedes where i worked for quite some time, then i just go Mann which manufactures them for Merc but sticks them in a Merc box lol.

On 8/7/2020 at 9:35 PM, ZZT86 said:

@TommyM

My apologies 😉

Still coming down off it's cold start idle, which on the 1MZ-FE i always thought was high, but hey... it's not "abnormal" for it to raise up to 1800rpm - 2000rpm then come down after 30 seconds roughly, improves heat up, which in turn reduces emissions, better oil pressure, less wear, etc

20200729_132201.jpg

On 8/9/2020 at 3:14 AM, TommyM said:

all engines will burn the slightest amount of oil . . . . . I can't remember exactly but mine doesn't burn anything noticeable, 😉

Of all the Toyotas I've owned & driven none used oil that I've noticed unless it had more than 300K kms on it & it was a highly strung 2ZZ or you drove the wheels off it. My old Azura 1MZ didn't drink a drop & neither does my Aurion. The Hachi is not a real Toyota & therefore uses a very small amount but nowhere near the factory maximum allowance of 1L/1Kms. If you drive an Audi or some ***** heap like that then you're to expect that amount or more ;)

On 8/10/2020 at 9:39 PM, ZZT86 said:

Of all the Toyotas I've owned & driven none used oil that I've noticed unless it had more than 300K kms on it & it was a highly strung 2ZZ or you drove the wheels off it. My old Azura 1MZ didn't drink a drop & neither does my Aurion. The Hachi is not a real Toyota & therefore uses a very small amount but nowhere near the factory maximum allowance of 1L/1Kms. If you drive an Audi or some ***** heap like that then you're to expect that amount or more 😉

I think you mean Volkswagen 🤣🤣

Considering half the engines are from the VW junk parts bin.

I always allow up to, but mine isn't burning anything noticeable. I can say though, switching to a 0w is a god send. It will shear down to a 30 weight over time so meh.

How is everyone coping in lockdown ?

On 8/10/2020 at 9:39 PM, ZZT86 said:

Of all the Toyotas I've owned & driven none used oil that I've noticed unless it had more than 300K kms on it & it was a highly strung 2ZZ or you drove the wheels off it. My old Azura 1MZ didn't drink a drop & neither does my Aurion. The Hachi is not a real Toyota & therefore uses a very small amount but nowhere near the factory maximum allowance of 1L/1Kms. If you drive an Audi or some ***** heap like that then you're to expect that amount or more 😉

Depends on how it's driven, from time to time a good WOT loosens up the rings again & makes them seat properly 😉

But i'm relatively conservative, transmission has learnt my driving style considering it's adaptive learning strategy. No complaints

7 hours ago, TommyM said:

from time to time a good WOT loosens up the rings again & makes them seat properly

I was doing some WOT yesterday. I must say that the car is performing well and very responsive. I reckon that the piston rings are now well seated. Have to see whether today brings some more WOT on the Bruce Highway. .

• Like 1

20 hours ago, campbeam said:

I was doing some WOT yesterday. I must say that the car is performing well and very responsive. I reckon that the piston rings are now well seated. Have to see whether today brings some more WOT on the Bruce Highway. .

Wide Open Throttle from time to time does have a positive effect in breaking down carbon deposits that might have a oil ring or compression ring hanging up slightly. That is a known fact. Everybody's maintenance & driving style is different. Do your research 😉

Because i wasn't joking.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:32 PM, ZZT86 said:

The only WOT I'll be doing is in the crappa 😐

3 hours ago, TommyM said:

Wide Open Throttle from time to time does have a positive effect in breaking down carbon deposits that might have a oil ring or compression ring hanging up slightly. That is a known fact. Everybody's maintenance & driving style is different. Do your research 😉

Because i wasn't joking.

I totally agree with you on the WOT. You have to "blow the cobwebs" out occasionally of course, but you have to agree the above comment was hilarious 🤣 

@TommyM Dude, I think I speak for all of us but personally I wasn’t trying to be smart, light your short fuse or make fun of your comments. I agree with you 100% on pretty much everything you have contributed to the forum thus far. I get you’re a car enthusiast just like the rest of us & that’s great.

My WOT/crappa comment was opportunistic & merely made in light of the Stage 4 restrictions that most of Melbournes 5.5 million people have to endure for another 4 weeks. I presume your’e a Melbournian due to your previous comments about lockdown.

That means unless you’re one of the lucky few who still have F/T employment, it would be next to impossible to do a WOT properly due to the 5km radius from home restriction. I’ve been stood down as of the beginning of April, last week I worked 5 hours total, every week is almost the same, my Aurion got its first small drive today in more than a week on my way to Coles to top-up on some specials. I stay home as much as possible to avoid getting the super dreaded lurgy. You get the picture.

I apologise if you took it the wrong way, I guarantee you that was simply not the intention.

11 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I totally agree with you on the WOT. You have to "blow the cobwebs" out occasionally of course, but you have to agree the above comment was hilarious 🤣 

I had just got home from work, so i was pretty done with the day 🤣

Seeing that i was like "oh for **** sake here we go" hahahaha, it's all good though. Everyone in Melbourne has a short fuse at the moment i think. But ehh, **** happens 

4 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

@TommyM Dude, I think I speak for all of us but personally I wasn’t trying to be smart, light your short fuse or make fun of your comments. I agree with you 100% on pretty much everything you have contributed to the forum thus far. I get you’re a car enthusiast just like the rest of us & that’s great.

My WOT/crappa comment was opportunistic & merely made in light of the Stage 4 restrictions that most of Melbournes 5.5 million people have to endure for another 4 weeks. I presume your’e a Melbournian due to your previous comments about lockdown.

That means unless you’re one of the lucky few who still have F/T employment, it would be next to impossible to do a WOT properly due to the 5km radius from home restriction. I’ve been stood down as of the beginning of April, last week I worked 5 hours total, every week is almost the same, my Aurion got its first small drive today in more than a week on my way to Coles to top-up on some specials. I stay home as much as possible to avoid getting the super dreaded lurgy. You get the picture.

I apologise if you took it the wrong way, I guarantee you that was simply not the intention.

The **** is a crappa 🤣🤣

To my understanding basically the ****est of crap car around (VN Commo) 🤣

It's all good man, dw about it. Now i know you're just taking the *****. Hey you can drive 20km within that 5km radius, i have some 80k roads in that radius i can blow cobwebs out, or do it up someones street 😉 (if you really needed to)

7 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

But in saying that i'll be voluntarily standing down & finding something else until everything settles