What Tires Is Everyone Running/Reccomend

TommyM

General topic of discussion on what tyres people are running on STOCK/OEM alloy wheels

Discussion is applicable to basically every Camry/Aurion & Avalon from 2000 - Current

Wether it be 16", 17", 18" or 19" rims, a true enthusiast won't run "no branded/cheapie tyres"

If any non branded/respected tyres come into question, please don't comment 😁

Michelin, Continental, Toyo, Falken, etc etc all welcome. Include the size, aspect ratio & profile gentleman/ladies !

PLEASE BE CIVIL, KEEP IT FRIENDLY

Edited by TommyM

On my 04' (MY05) Avalon Grande

Currently running Continental UltraContact 6 (including the matching alloy spare)

Stock setup was 205/65/R16, where as now i've improved handling slightly with the current setup which is 215/55/R16

Sits slightly lower, ever so slightly, speedo accuracy is actually improved funny enough.

My personal criteria is for a touring type tyre with excellent braking in wet conditions.

If I was buying tyres, I would be seriously considering Michelin Primacy 4 [New Generation 2018/9] and the Continental UltraContact 6.

Also quite happy to stay with the stock setup of 215/60/16 for my 2006 Aurion ATX and 2008/9 Aurion Prodigy.

Currently running Michelin Primacy 4...225/50R17 98V on my Presara..have done only close to 5,000 KLM on them but wearing very well and are excellent in wet weather also found them very quiet on highway conditions..we don't travel great distances but looking forward now to doing a country trip to escape the 4 walls we have been in for months now

so I can recommend them, not the cheapest around but worth the extra peace of mind

KAA

Edited by KAA
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Ash, I think I remember seeing that thread now, I have a memory like a siv sometimes.
Only reason why I thought of the PS4 was for their grip, the Aurion can't control it's grunt, soft rubber would help, at the cost of longevity of course 😁

Primacy 4 is also on the radar, and of course the turanza ER300 which I'm inclined to ignore. The ones on my car have this weird wear pattern.

Would like quiet, smooth with lots of wet grip & long lasting would be the icing - not asking for much 😏

• Like 1

14 hours ago, campbeam said:

My personal criteria is for a touring type tyre with excellent braking in wet conditions.

If I was buying tyres, I would be seriously considering Michelin Primacy 4 [New Generation 2018/9] and the Continental UltraContact 6.

Also quite happy to stay with the stock setup of 215/60/16 for my 2006 Aurion ATX and 2008/9 Aurion Prodigy.

Primacy 4's are pretty good, experienced them first hand. Pilot Sport 4's are more agressive i'm sure haha. 

Currant setup on my 07 ZR6 PDW 18" RIMS WITH 245/45/R18 "Blacklion BU66" have been very happy with tyres , great in the wet, very little road noise, and wear has been good in my 2nd years done about 50,000km there about $155 per tyre

Edited by Buddah Kahuna

8 hours ago, TommyM said:

Turn off traction control 🤣🤣🤣

You don't have to, it just bunny hops & looses it completely until I let go & in the dry, pretty ordinary tuning tbh. Is everyone else experienced the same? I need my shoes off to get proper feel to make use of all that HP if I want it. It's a good thing I rarely give it the beans, maybe I will just get some Touring tyre rather than a top end performance tyre for the Aurion, perfect for the 86 though.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

How do you find the grip if you give it the beans ?

I find they are very responsive to flooring it..I don't tend to do that often but have done to get past trucks etc on long stretches of road..usually I am just the patient take my time kinda driver, but on very wet days excellent at cornering and around roundabouts

Hope that helps Tom

Keep Safe

KAA

Let me re-phrase my initial question - What is traction like if you give it the beans from a stand still ?

With my car the traction control is next to useless, it's not well tuned enough to arrest the wheels from spinning & bunny hoping, from memory the GSV40R's were the same so nothing changed there ;) This the main reason for wanting more grip hence my PS4 theory. Having said all that the tyres on my car are rubbish & nearing the end. I know if I feed the power gently with good control the car is not only very quick but a delight to drive.

9 hours ago, Buddah Kahuna said:

Currant setup on my 07 ZR6 PDW 18" RIMS WITH 245/45/R18 "Blacklion BU66" have been very happy with tyres , great in the wet, very little road noise, and wear has been good in my 2nd years done about 50,000km there about $155 per tyre

Not bad pricing either

2 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Let me re-phrase my initial question - What is traction like if you give it the beans from a stand still ?

With my car the traction control is next to useless, it's not well tuned enough to arrest the wheels from spinning & bunny hoping, from memory the GSV40R's were the same so nothing changed there 😉 This the main reason for wanting more grip hence my PS4 theory. Having said all that the tyres on my car are rubbish & nearing the end. I know if I feed the power gently with good control the car is not only very quick but a delight to drive.

Hahahaha love the revised statement 😉

The GSV40's do have the ability to apply mild braking pressure to mitigate traction loss, they're a bit more up to spec compared to Ford & Holden just thinking "oh lets just cut power & retard timing massively to fix wheelspin"

It's that bad your car feels like it's misfiring lol

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KAA said:

I find they are very responsive to flooring it..I don't tend to do that often but have done to get past trucks etc on long stretches of road..usually I am just the patient take my time kinda driver, but on very wet days excellent at cornering and around roundabouts

Hope that helps Tom

Keep Safe

KAA

I always drive safe, i'm just lead footed. Never speed, unless certain situations are required and unavoidable, rare but still....

I wasn't worried about what tires, i run 2 brands regardless (just depends on availability), tried others, they just didn't suit traction, braking performance, etc

Edited by TommyM

Well like most cars i think if you floor it from stand still yes get the slight bunny hopping as the traction control kicks in..I never floor it from stand still..I have no need to do that as my days of being a boy racer are long gone now..if I still had my mach 1 mustang however well that's a different and old story..i do find if i apply decent amount of lead foot I get great traction and braking ability on these tyres even in wet conditions..so depending on your driving style from the stand still position I would suggest good quality touring tyres..its the old story you get what you pay for and how you take care of them

KAA

• Thanks 1

I drive my Aurion like a grandpa with a hat 95% of the time, but ocasionally need to give it the boot & given the tranny/dead pedal is a little slow to respond (inherent tuning) & with my runners on I may overdo the pedal bit which is where the traction issue may come into play. Very rarely an issue which may be rectified with new tyres as mine are virtually shot.

I'm a big fan of Michelin, Dunlop & Yokohama for sportcars & I'm inclined to stick to those personally for the Aurion Sportivo also. BS hasn't proven itself with me yet, mostly disappointed me actually.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, KAA said:

Well like most cars i think if you floor it from stand still yes get the slight bunny hopping as the traction control kicks in..I never floor it from stand still..I have no need to do that as my days of being a boy racer are long gone now..if I still had my mach 1 mustang however well that's a different and old story..i do find if i apply decent amount of lead foot I get great traction and braking ability on these tyres even in wet conditions..so depending on your driving style from the stand still position I would suggest good quality touring tyres..its the old story you get what you pay for and how you take care of them

KAA

Agreed

20 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

@TommyM  What are the Contis like on your Avalon ? Soft sidewall or OK ? Presume grippy & quiet.

They're actually a good all round tyre, haven't had many complaints so far, Noticeably better grip the road many Hankook, Kumho, etc. I would recommend them, previously worked for Mercedes-Benz, seen many cars come in with them on, pretty good in most applications. I'd definitely recommend them over Pirelli, which in my opinion are just garbage in every aspect. terrible wear, terrible grip and overall just a terrible tyre haha. but props to their marketing bull****.

Personally i'm more either a Michelin Pilot Sport, Continental or Yokohama guy. but Michelin & Continental are my number one picks above any other tire if any of my mates asked my professional opinion. I'm not really a boy racer but i do prefer a tyre that has exceptional performance in terms of braking, safety, longevity (replace tyres every 8 years roughly), but most importantly grip and comfort levels. eco tyres designed for fuel economy are just toxic when it comes to what actually matters most, if people complain about fuel consumption... simple, don't own a car XD

• Thanks 1

I ask cos I got the Conti 5P on my 86 but reckon sidewall flexes too much, just too soft. Should've got the PS3's back then but got talked in to Conti.

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

reckon sidewall flexes too much, just too soft

I have found that when I have 40 psi in the tyres on my Aurion, the sidewalls do not flex as much and this shows in the steering being more direct and responsive.

• Thanks 1