What Tires Is Everyone Running/Reccomend

TommyM

Yes but at the cost of ride comfort. What I meant was that some tyres are designed to be even softer than normal ride comfort, all very subjective I guess. Perfect comparison was on my previous car where I tested on an identical wheel size/offset different tyres - Hankook Optimo K415 & the BS Ecopia EP300. I swear the Ecopias are at least 50% softer laterally which makes for very ordinary steering & change of direction especially on a demanding road.

Edited by ZZT86

10 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

all very subjective

Shortly after posting about 40psi tyre pressure, I went to a nearby local garage and pumped the tyres up to 40psi. They were previously at 35psi. Just so happened that earlier that morning I had a day off and took a wrong turn ending up on the road from Samford to Mt Glorious [northern Brisbane region] with lots of hairpin bends with 20kph and 30kph advisory signs. Back track to Samford then the correct turn at the roundabout to Dayboro for the trip to Brisbane's best bakery [radio contest].

Following morning, roads were wet and with half worn rear tyres, I was able to deliberately slide the rear end out a little bit on a few suburban corners. Just mentioning this because of the difference in tyre pressures 

Sunday was a trip on the highway from Brisbane to Southport on the Gold Coast. The ride was a bit firmer but still comfortable. However, this is with worn struts and standard 215/60/16 tyres. Certainly expect the ride to be firmer when the struts and springs are replaced very soon.

• Like 1

On 6/15/2020 at 11:15 PM, ZZT86 said:

Primacy 4 is also on the radar, and of course the turanza ER300 which I'm inclined to ignore. The ones on my car have this weird wear pattern.

Would like quiet, smooth with lots of wet grip & long lasting would be the icing - not asking for much 😏

I found the ER300's that came stock on my RZ to have good grip, but wore out way too early.

They were made in Poland.....

• Like 1

I have a 2017 Camry RZ, tyre size is 225/45 R18 and I run my tyres at 36-38 PSI

The car came stock with Bridgestones Turanza ER300's (made in Poland) which had good grip but while legal after 1.5 years (circa 25,000km even with rotation) I could feel that the grip had deteriorated (I'm sure it had nothing to do with my driving style... cough cough....).

Since I had previously used the Bridgestone RE 003's on my last car (05 Corolla sedan) they were one of the top contenders as was the Michelin PS4

I considered the Primacy 4 but a few reviewers had noted a strange feeling while driving (their words not mine), though it would be good to have a tyre that had top notch braking even when mostly worn (as is claimed by Michelin for the Primacy 4).

The other major brands just seemed so hit and miss in regards to the reviews, whereas the PS4 and the RE003 had consistent 4-5 stars, and a far greater percentage of the total results were 3+ stars (and mostly in the 4-5 stars range).

While I would have liked the PS4S, this isn't available in Australia though the Super sport is now available (re-branded PS4S??) if you are in the market :-)

I ended up choosing the Bridgestone RE003 for the following reasons:

- Previous good experience

- Very good grip reported by the vast majority of users (dry and wet) and I could attest to this from my previous experience

- Good steering feedback (from my point of view with the last set)

- Consistent very good reviews by users

- Cost, they were 4 for the price of 3 at the time, which was final deciding factor over the PS4 

My own thoughts, are that if cost is not an issue the Michelin Pilot Super Sport should be high on a persons list, though this is based on the solid performance of the PS4 and PS4S that I have read about.

From what I have read the Michelin's are pretty much the best in the wet (and I am happy to further my knowledge by being corrected)

I don't have any regrets over my choice, and while I would like to gladly say I would buy another set when they are due,

at the end of the day cost is a factor in my choice, and if Michelin's are on sale for example this would affect my decision.

Edited by Novicebutnice
  • Like 2

@Novicebutnice  Rippa post ;)

You have the exact wheel/tyre combo on your Camry as my Aurion 👍

The RE003 is a good tyre although my experience wasn't all that flash on my old Celica, perhaps influenced by failing sway links & bushes. What I did notice was that it went downhill as it wore. How many kms have you done on the BS ? Please keep us informed about them. I'm sure even the Camry has enough grunt to chew through them so you gotta have a controlled right foot when taking off ;) The icing on the cake for BS is that often you can get them for a good price, hard to say with Michelin.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Greetings Gents,

Bought my 09' Presara with 4 new Michelin Primacy ST 3  tyres.

Done about 8,000 klms on them so far. I find them to be very grippy in wet weather and great on the long highway drives I take regulary. Got them balanced and aligned recently, and the guy at Bob Jane says they are good for another 2 to 3 years yet. I will probably go to the Primacy 4's when these need replacing.

Cheers

Mike62

• Like 1

On 7/12/2020 at 1:41 PM, matt36415 said:

My other half has RE003 which I like, and they have lasted fairly well on it. They are stock 215/60/16. The price was great in that size, $130 each.

Mate - what are they like ? Have they become noisy with time ? Have they lost some of their grip ? Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/16/2020 at 3:38 PM, ZZT86 said:

Mate - what are they like ? Have they become noisy with time ? Have they lost some of their grip ? Cheers

Considered Continental Ultra Contact 6's ?

They're not too bad on price. Or Cooper RS3-G1's ?

22 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

I have RE003s on my car at the moment, thinking of moving to Michelin PS4s next 

If your budget allows the Pilot Super Sport may be available in your size (I'm not sure if you are in Australia or not, and what size your tyres are)

25 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

If your budget allows the Pilot Super Sport may be available in your size (I'm not sure if you are in Australia or not, and what size your tyres are)

245/35/19, just had a quick look - Round about  $840 NZD each. Cheapest I found the PS4 was $560.00 each

4 hours ago, nzzr6 said:

245/35/19, just had a quick look - Round about  $840 NZD each. Cheapest I found the PS4 was $560.00 each

Here in Australia on Jax tyre website, 

245/35 R19 converted to NZD =

Super Sport: $437.21

PS4S: $390.18

(https://www.jaxtyres.com.au/tyres/sizes/19-inch/245-35r19?searchqrytype=TyreSize&sizeid=50&isrunflat=False&brands=12_1&pricerange=0_0&searchtype=All&sorttype=PriceDesc&pagesize=45&pagenumber=1)

Cheapest I could find for Pilot Super Sport in your size (NZ store) was $624 NZD

(https://beaurepaires.co.nz/product-tag/buy-tyres-online/?filter_tyre-width=245&filter_tyre-rim=19&filter_tyre-profile=35&ixwpst[product_cat][]=20&title=1&excerpt=1&content=1&categories=1&attributes=1&tags=1&sku=1&ixwpsf[taxonomy][pa_vehicle-type][show]=set&ixwpsf[taxonomy][pa_vehicle-type][multiple]=0&ixwpsf[taxonomy][pa_vehicle-type][filter]=1&ixwpsf[taxonomy][product_cat][show]=set&ixwpsf[taxonomy][product_cat][multiple]=1&ixwpsf[taxonomy][product_cat][filter]=1)

There are 2 types of the Super Sport (they look identical in the pictures), I honestly don't know what the difference is,

maybe one has reinforced side walls???

But either way mate, you guys over the ditch are being ripped off!

Edited by Novicebutnice

8 hours ago, Novicebutnice said:

But either way mate, you guys over the ditch are being ripped off!

Haha yep I know! No idea what the difference is either, they seem to have the same speed rating and everything

On 7/27/2020 at 3:46 AM, nzzr6 said:

Haha yep I know! No idea what the difference is either, they seem to have the same speed rating and everything

At least $624 NZD is better than $840 NZD :smile:

But still $60ish NZD per tyre more than the PS4S, and I don't think that the grip increase is worth $60+ NZD per tyre

Though here in Australia  for your tyre size the difference is $14 AUD which would make it sensible to go the Super Sport over the PS4S

Though in my size (225/45 R18) it's $70 AUD more expensive per tyre (though this is compared to the PS4, not the PS4S as this isn't available in my size), but they would only set me back $319 AUD per tyre ($340.82 NZD)

Let us know what you end up buying when it comes to replace your tyres :tabletalk:

Edited by Novicebutnice
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've decided that I'll be putting Michelin PS4 on me car. Was going to do this about a week ago until I found out that they're out of stock in my size so I'm going to have to wait 6-8 weeks for them 😐 No problem, I'm hardly driving atm anyways . . .

So true about the not driving much mate...we are all thinking of you in Victoria..do the right thing and stay safe 

Your not alone

KAA

• Thanks 1