2016 Hilux loosing coolant Please help

Tristan I

Hi Guys. 
I have a 2016 2.8L GUN Hilux with 220000kms on the clock. Has started loosing coolant with no apparent leaks. I have done a bit of research and I think it may have developed a leak in the egr cooler and is leaking back into the engine and out the exhaust. Has anyone else had an issue similar to this?   
I can’t find much on this topic in Toyota’s but have found a few other makes that have had this issue. Any help or wisdom on this issue would be greatly appreciated 

cheers Tristan

On 6/29/2020 at 4:03 PM, Tristan I said:

Hi Guys. 
I have a 2016 2.8L GUN Hilux with 220000kms on the clock. Has started loosing coolant with no apparent leaks. I have done a bit of research and I think it may have developed a leak in the egr cooler and is leaking back into the engine and out the exhaust. Has anyone else had an issue similar to this?   
I can’t find much on this topic in Toyota’s but have found a few other makes that have had this issue. Any help or wisdom on this issue would be greatly appreciated 

cheers Tristan

Gday tristan 

mate iv just had the same issue in my 2015 sr5 hilux 200000 kms could not find the leak and my expansion tank was all over the place was flying through coolant. Eventually I gave in and took it to Toyota and pressure tested the cooler and found a pin hole leak. The cooler was also 60% blocked with soot. Got it replaced and it’s been a month with no issues. Im started to find soot build ups throughout the engine Tho. Hilux are just not as Reliable as they once were. Cost me 1000 bucks to replace through Toyota I should have shopped around but I just wanted it fixed 

cheers mate 

Gday tristan 

Mate this has just happened to me in my 2015 sr5 hilux 200000 ks on it. I was losing about the same amount of coolant and could not for the life of me work out where it was going I gave in and took it to Toyota and they pressure tested the EGR cooler and found a pinhole leak it was also 60% blocked with soot I got them to replace it at a cost of $1000 I probably could’ve shopped around and got it a lot cheaper but I just wanted it done they also told me I’ve gotten to the kilometres where I will start seeing issues with soot buildup Ect. I thought Toyotas are meant to last forever. Good luck mate any other questions asked

Recent post is certainly pointing at the EGR cooler needing to be replaced/cleaned.

These URLs may be relevant as a starting point.

https://www.aftermarket.com.au/egr-cooler-repairs-on-the-increase/ 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBAwmXMAEQs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N4qcd9YoDoI

Thanks Ashjj

Thanks for the reply mate. great to hear of someone having the same issue and That I’m not barking up the wrong tree. I’m looking into a replacement cooler but also maybe down the track of a full egr delete as well. Will see how we go. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

EGR is a really bad design plus you blokes now have dpf as well between the both motors suck so much crap that should be strait out of the exhaust 

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...

Hi all - I am having a similar issue with loosing coolant - and looking for ideas as to whether the EGR is likely the problem. For those that have had similar problems, has the EGR replacement solve the problem.