Brakes grabbing when cold.

Hi guys. my 2001 Corolla AE112R has an issue when cold.

The front brakes on the left side lock up. Once I get a bit of heat in the brakes there is a better response.

Not fantastic, but better. I reckon there is a easy fix.

When was the last time that you had the brake fluid changed or checked the brake pads?

I have recently lubricated the brake caliper slider pins [on all calipers] to correct what I thought was a dragging brake on the rear passenger side. I used copper anti-seize grease but Bendix has this product.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/bendix-bendix-ceramic-disc-brake-lubricant-6g/323995.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5vXkrd3r6gIVVB0rCh3GQQeVEAQYAiABEgIUqvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Because I have not changed the brake fluid recently, I slightly loosened the breeder then pushed back the piston before re-tightening the bleeder. I spray cleaned the caliper then lubricated the slider pins. Reassembled then pumped the brake pedal and topped up the brake fluid reservoir. Repeated for the remaining brake calipers.

This solved my issue and wheel rotates just as freely as the other side.

Please let us know what the fix for your brake issue ended up being.

19 hours ago, awatea said:

Hi guys. my 2001 Corolla AE112R has an issue when cold.

The front brakes on the left side lock up. Once I get a bit of heat in the brakes there is a better response.

Not fantastic, but better. I reckon there is a easy fix.

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

When was the last time that you had the brake fluid changed or checked the brake pads?

I have recently lubricated the brake caliper slider pins [on all calipers] to correct what I thought was a dragging brake on the rear passenger side. I used copper anti-seize grease but Bendix has this product.

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/bendix-bendix-ceramic-disc-brake-lubricant-6g/323995.html?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5vXkrd3r6gIVVB0rCh3GQQeVEAQYAiABEgIUqvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Because I have not changed the brake fluid recently, I slightly loosened the breeder then pushed back the piston before re-tightening the bleeder. I spray cleaned the caliper then lubricated the slider pins. Reassembled then pumped the brake pedal and topped up the brake fluid reservoir. Repeated for the remaining brake calipers.

This solved my issue and wheel rotates just as freely as the other side.

Please let us know what the fix for your brake issue ended up being.

To me it sound's like the caliper slides need to be cleaned and lubed (remember too much grease is as bad as not enough grease), but changing the brake fluid and bleeding any air out is also good.

The problem may actually be the front right.

I base this on most cars have about 80% of the braking on the front wheels and 20% on the rear wheels (under normal conditions),

As you are applying the brakes to stop the car, but because only one side is working properly (only 60% brakes working) you are probably pushing down on the pedal harder leading to the left locking up (because the right isn't working properly, in my theory), you may even notice the steering wheel / car pulling left.

As the brakes heat up the caliper slides (with probably old / insufficient grease) starts to free up a bit leading to the brakes working a bit better

Let us know how you go, hopefully it is a cheap to fix issue. 

Edited by Novicebutnice

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/27/2020 at 6:30 AM, campbeam said:

My 2 cents on this particular product Gents. I have used this and I found my brakes were starting to get grabby after around 12 months or so. I didn't bother to look into it too much until it was time to replace the front pads. Upon disassembly of the calipers, the ceramic lube had dried out and it was this that was causing the slides to "gum up" rendering them too grabby at low speeds. The left side inner pad was the most worn too because of this. I had also bought a box of this stuff and now I prefer to use moly grease or as you mentioned Ash, anti seize grease.

Brake pads should last at least 2 or so years and having to do the slides more often than you need to is a pain. So I will not use the Bendix Ceramic Lube anymore for this reason.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

My 2 cents on this particular product Gents. I have used this and I found my brakes were starting to get grabby after around 12 months or so. I didn't bother to look into it too much until it was time to replace the front pads. Upon disassembly of the calipers, the ceramic lube had dried out and it was this that was causing the slides to "gum up" rendering them too grabby at low speeds. The left side inner pad was the most worn too because of this. I had also bought a box of this stuff and now I prefer to use moly grease or as you mentioned Ash, anti seize grease.

Brake pads should last at least 2 or so years and having to do the slides more often than you need to is a pain. So I will not use the Bendix Ceramic Lube anymore for this reason.

I viewed a few YouTube videos about servicing the brake slider pins. They consistently mentioned using anti-seize grease which made sense to me. I did check the slider pins when I changed the brake fluid. All looks good so next brake check will be more for the brake pads and fluid.

Thanks for the update. I think that I will stick with the anti-seize grease. I have also got plenty of Castrol LMM grease.

• Like 1