Novicebutnice

Engine oils, thoughts from experience

Good afternoon everyone,

My reason for this post is to get people's thoughts about what engine oils that they currently use.

When I purchased my 2017 RZ Camry I decided to supply my own engine oil, even though as part of the sale I got 3-4 years capped price servicing at $140

I decided to supply my own engine oil after discovering that the local dealership uses a semi-synthetic oil,

but with the oil change interval at 15,000km / 9 months I felt that the semi-synthetic wasn't up to the task (as I had seen that the engine oil level had dropped, which to me indicated that the oil was breaking down)

I currently use Shell Ultra 5W30 and have not noticed any loss of oil (I decided on this oil based on using Shell Ultra 5W40 in my last car) 

But I was wondering if people have any current experience with other oils (I'm happy with what I use, but I'm curious about Nulon and others).

In my last car I tried different brands, I found that when using Nulon (semi-synthetic 10W30) that my fuel consumption went up (compared to other semi-synthetic 10W30 oils) and found other users found the same thing (reading reviews and forums)

But this is old information, and what was true "years ago" may no longer be true.

I'm looking at full Synthetic 5W30, and I was wondering if anybody else has tried different brands and found any noticeable difference?

I am currently using Shell Ultra 5W40. What I have noticed is that after less than 800km the oil has changed to a medium honey colour. I am putting this down to better additives for cleaning/removing oil sludge.

Over the past 3 years I have been mainly using 10W40 SN semi-synthetic oils usually Penrite or Nulon.This is because I bought them on special. Now I have mainly full synthetic 5w30 or 5W40 on hand. Brands include Castrol, Shell Ultra, Penrite and Nulon.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, campbeam said:

I am currently using Shell Ultra 5W40. What I have noticed is that after less than 800km the oil has changed to a medium honey colour. I am putting this down to better additives for cleaning/removing oil sludge.

Over the past 3 years I have been mainly using 10W40 SN semi-synthetic oils usually Penrite or Nulon.This is because I bought them on special. Now I have mainly full synthetic 5w30 or 5W40 on hand. Brands include Castrol, Shell Ultra, Penrite and Nulon.

I used Shell Ultra 5W40 in my last car (2005 Corolla sedan), and I did notice that as well,

but after that initial change the rate of oil discoloration slowed, and the engine was literally clean as new when I checked (taking off the oil cap, and using a torch to see as much as I could), to the point that when I changed and added in the oil it looked brand new as far as I could see in with the torch, absolutely no sludge what-so-ever, and no discoloration of engine components etc :-)

Do you find any noticeable difference, like the Engine being quieter using oil "X", or noticeable variation in fuel usage using oil "Y"?

I've been pretty happy with the Shell Ultra 5W30, but I was catching up with an old work mate at a wedding last year, and he was saying that Nulon is spending a lot on R&D over the last few years (apparently)

I haven't tried Penrite yet....

Edited by Novicebutnice

2 minutes ago, Novicebutnice said:

Do you find any noticeable difference, like the Engine quieter using oil "X", or noticeable variation in fuel usage using oil "Y"?

I cannot say that I have noticed any significant differences. However I have been gradually progressing from mineral oils to semi-synthetic and finally to full synthetic.

I have also been using a variety of oil viscosities ranging from 15W-40. 10W-40, 10W-30, 5W-40 to 5W-30.

Because I do a lot of short distance driving, I choose to do a shorter oil change interval to keep oil sludge at bay.

It will be quite a while before I need to buy engine oil but I will be mainly interested in only considering a full synthetic oil say 5W-30 or 5W-40 on special.

• Like 1

I don;t know if it is imagination but I always feel the engine is much quieter when an oil change service is done..not that the noise has ever been bad but could be I know it is fresh.. I have mostly been using full syn for about 5 years now..10w 30..or recently 5w 30..never really noticed any fuel improvement but on checking the mode button today i am at 12L per 100 so happy with that..however not a huge amount of distance driving last few months..last 4 oil changes have been using Nulon full syn 5w 30..and yes read the same thing about a lot of R&D by them

Keep Safe

KAA

• Like 1

Some of you may know that I've been using the Nulon 5w-30 since my original purchase when the car had 40k on the ODO and it's up to 120k now. I've been very happy with the Nulon product and have zero sludging. I do my oil servicing close to 10k each time and everything seems fine. I have been purchasing my oil when they go on special and usually stock up and have some Nulon left which I will obviously use then going to switch over to Penrite for the zinc content. I'm no oil expert but from what others have been saying, the zinc content is a good thing to have so I'll go with that if it means a little bit more protection. 

I'm planning to keep my Aurion long term so I want to take good care of it as much as possible.

If I get a chance this weekend I might do my 120k oil service and inspect the PCV ( as promised Nathan) 😁

• Like 1