How road trip ready is your vehicle?

9 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Certainly planning upon ceramic coating the windscreens, I have got 3 bottles of the coating sourced from a China eBay seller. Still in the procrastination stage. I am thinking of doing the rear windscreen first before tackling the front windscreen. Also without a garage or carport, I am thinking about how to protect the coating while it cures.

In the meantime, more concentrating upon the cleaning of the windscreen.

Don't feel too bad Ash, I procrastinate just as much too lol.. I totally understand the lack of garaging/carport and I was even thinking of getting one of these as a temporary solution.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Instahut-Gazebo-3x3-Party-Marquee-Wedding-Canopy-Outdoor-Gazebos-Camping-White/352672416769?hash=item521cea0401:g:Wm0AAOSwdaxeayZI

You can drive the front portion of the car in and you'll have all the protection you need. Once your done, you can simply pack it away.

• Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Don't feel too bad Ash, I procrastinate just as much too lol.. I totally understand the lack of garaging/carport and I was even thinking of getting one of these as a temporary solution.

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Instahut-Gazebo-3x3-Party-Marquee-Wedding-Canopy-Outdoor-Gazebos-Camping-White/352672416769?hash=item521cea0401:g:Wm0AAOSwdaxeayZI

You can drive the front portion of the car in and you'll have all the protection you need. Once your done, you can simply pack it away.

Certainly had the same idea but did not want to part with the $$$. Clicked on the link and seen that the price has reduced.

Just ordered it now. Early Xmas present for the girlfriend. 

On 10/26/2020 at 12:00 PM, Tony Prodigy said:

You need to apply a ceramic coating to your windscreen Ash. Those wipers will not be needed then, 😀 Watch those beads glide off the glass.

Recently cleaned the windscreen using a light cutting compound. I was watching those beads glide off the glass while driving along at 70+kph this afternoon. Certainly will be handy if get the go-ahead next week for a quick road trip to regional NSW. 

I also looked at my original post back in August; sort of deja vu for what I will be doing tomorrow.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

Recently cleaned the windscreen using a light cutting compound. I was watching those beads glide off the glass while driving along at 70+kph this afternoon.

Haha yeah, It can be kind of hypnotic sometimes. Has a calming effect.

I had a late call out yesterday afternoon and 5 minutes into my journey on the M7 it bucketed down and never used the wipers once. The rain just blasted over the roof and was still able to see ahead of me. That's the beauty of coating the windscreen.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Possibility of a road trip is good incentive to get those outstanding maintenance items ticked off.

I am working to a few plans.

Tyres are getting due for replacement so that has been the main reason for replacing the struts and springs.

Getting prepared to do the ceramic coating of the windscreen. So spending more time and effort on cleaning the windscreen [both inside and outside] and working towards a perfect result. Starting to notice all those minor imperfections which will need to be eliminated.

6 hours ago, campbeam said:

Possibility of a road trip is good incentive to get those outstanding maintenance items ticked off.

I am working to a few plans.

Tyres are getting due for replacement so that has been the main reason for replacing the struts and springs.

Getting prepared to do the ceramic coating of the windscreen. So spending more time and effort on cleaning the windscreen [both inside and outside] and working towards a perfect result. Starting to notice all those minor imperfections which will need to be eliminated.

No better time to get incentivised Ash. You are going to love the beading effect after the ceramic coating. If you think the rain-x one was good, wait till you do the ceramic job. Don't forget to treat the wiper blades too. Clean them really well until you virtually have no black rubbing off then right at the end give these a wipe over with product too.

Looks like I've rubbed off on you when I hear you mention "Starting to notice all those minor imperfections which will need to be eliminated." :biggrin: :thumbsup:

Look forward to the follow up.

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

Spring has sprung so time for me to get out of my lethargic ways and start tackling all of those overdue maintenance items in the next few months befoe December.

Checking brake pads and rotors and adjusting the foot brake is the immediate priority followed by the wiper blades and the glass.

Being somewhat of a pessimist, I am thinking that the QLD border will not reopen by Xmas 2021. However, I am hoping for February/March 2022.

Yes indeed. I'll have to do the same too. It's been quite busy for me and haven't been able to dedicate much time to cleaning either one of our cars, so hopefully now with the weather warming up, early morning car washing will be easier to get started on.

• 1 month later...

After replacing wheels and tyres and a wheel alignment, my Aurion is finally road trip ready.

Now it is a case of being all dressed up and nowhere to go.

Borders are going to open in time for Xmas but I am going into my own personal lockdown to social distance from the herd.

Being a realist pessimist, I am expecting the usual road carnage over the Xmas-New Year period. Therefore, I will be staying close to home and avoiding the highways.

Glad to hear the Aurion is in tip top shape Ash.

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Now it is a case of being all dressed up and nowhere to go.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Borders are going to open in time for Xmas but I am going into my own personal lockdown to social distance from the herd.

Being a realist pessimist, I am expecting the usual road carnage over the Xmas-New Year period. Therefore, I will be staying close to home and avoiding the highways

I think it's going to be very crazy out there over Christmas too. All that pent up anger and frustration may just manifest itself on the roads, so avoiding interstate or highway travel may be the wise thing to do. I hate to say it, but I suspect the road toll may be higher this time around. I seriously hope I'm wrong for everyone's sake. 

I wish everyone safe travels, of course.

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Glad to hear the Aurion is in tip top shape Ash.

:laugh::laugh::laugh:

I think it's going to be very crazy out there over Christmas too. All that pent up anger and frustration may just manifest itself on the roads, so avoiding interstate or highway travel may be the wise thing to do. I hate to say it, but I suspect the road toll may be higher this time around. I seriously hope I'm wrong for everyone's sake. 

I wish everyone safe travels, of course.

My Aurion is "All good to go" at this point in time and driving very smoothly. As per usual, I have got a watchful eye on a few things.

One of my reminder sayings is to assume the worst and plan accordingly. This is why my emphasis is upon safety related issues and drivabilty/reliability.

I know my own pent up levels of frustration that appeared and got unleashed on an intrastate trip earlier this year. Real mixture of Dr Jeckell and Mr Hyde. Now all calmed down and back to driving Miss Daisy [most of the time. 😁 ]

• 1 year later...

Easter is coming so may have to be ready for any unplanned day trips.

However I want to be staying home and finishing off any outstanding items on my checklist for getting my Aurion ready for a road trip after Easter.

Have to find some fuel injector cleaner, glass cleaner etc during May. Headlights are also overdue for a clean.

• 1 month later...

Getting ready for a leisurely road trip in a week or so after Easter and the school holiday period.

Engine flush yesterday and oil change this morning. Also added an engine and oil treatment additive so hopefully will notice some improved engine and fuel efficiency on the trip. Engine seems to be idling a bit quieter and rpm at idle maybe 50-100rpm lower.

Just been down to SuperCheap Auto to use the received credit and got fuel injector cleaner for when I next refill the tank.

Plenty of other items previously mentioned in this thread to be done e.g. check tyre pressure of the spare tyre before packing the car.

Forgotten when I last checked the spare tyre pressure. Only 20 psi so that indicates maybe more than 12 months.

Quick trip to the servo and spare tyre pressure is now 41 psi. That should be good for the next 6 months or when the boot gets another clean up. Ended up doing the same for my other Toyota. Its spare tyre pressure was only 16 psi.

• Like 1