A pillar trim clip removal

domej

hi guys,

i'm in the process of adding a few things to my new (to me) aurion and a dash cam was one of them. this required removal of the a pillar trim to run wires. so i've read the book method is to cut the clip and replace it but i am struggling to remove the clip base. i've tried pulling with pliers and prying it off with trim removal tools but to no avail. any ideas?

117259798_2857344681164941_8446910012100607774_n.jpg

14 hours ago, domej said:

the book method is to cut the clip and replace it but i am struggling to remove the clip base

I suspect it's a one time use clip due to its design. If you have trouble removing it, I think it will most likely break during the removal process. It should be easier one would think. Just get some side cutters onto it.

I've never had to remove mine but I did once on a recent model D-Max and the clips remained intact so the cover could be re attached.

Probably best to contact your local Toyota Dealer and ask them. You may need to get replacement clips. While you're at it, get yourself a dozen if they're cheap enough and keep as spare.

Let us know because I'm planning on replacing the driver's side A pillar cover as it's got a scratch that bothers me each time I get in.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

Got the same thing to replace on my car as a result of dashcam installation.... I have lost the new clip I bought but if I remember correctly it has spring loaded tabs on either side that hold it to the frame of the car. So not sure how you go from there. 

25 minutes ago, nzzr6 said:

Got the same thing to replace on my car as a result of dashcam installation.... I have lost the new clip I bought but if I remember correctly it has spring loaded tabs on either side that hold it to the frame of the car. So not sure how you go from there. 

Haha, I just realised the O.P's car is a 2007. I wonder if the 50 series uses the same clip arrangement. I'm afraid to pop mine out in case I break something and not being able to put it back without a replacement clip.

I'll contact Toyota tomorrow and find out.

8 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Haha, I just realised the O.P's car is a 2007. I wonder if the 50 series uses the same clip arrangement. I'm afraid to pop mine out in case I break something and not being able to put it back without a replacement clip.

I'll contact Toyota tomorrow and find out.

I had to get new clips for the 2016 RAV4 i put a dashcam in also, if its anything like that then those weren't too bad to replace, and there was two clips (one top, one bottom) holding the cover on instead of one. About $10 each from memory from the dealer. 

I ended up just drilling the centre of the clip out and wrestling it out with a pair of needle nose pliers.Not much left of the clip after that was done. 

On 8/16/2020 at 7:50 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

:eek:

I do agree the prices are absurd but do yourself a favour and use genuine clips. I tried some ebay clips for the trim panels (the white clips) and they snapped when I tried to put them in. Amayama is a good website for cheap genuine parts. I got the black clip for about $2 and the white ones for $1 each.

117986958_312343826488552_4541823988053245682_n.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, domej said:

Amayama is a good website for cheap genuine parts. I got the black clip for about $2 and the white ones for $1 each.

I'll keep them in mind. Getting sick of dealer rip off merchants. They should be ashamed to charge $10 for a piece of tiny plastic.

• Like 1

Agree the price Toyota genuine parts charge has always been excessive..I looked at getting some new clips for the radiator shroud and walked out laughing at the prices for just 2 when i wanted 6 to replace all with new..finally tried Amayama and got 12 for a third of the price they wanted inc delivery

Keep Safe

KAA