Brightest parking lights...

matt36415

Just fitted these

https://www.stedi.com.au/t10-t15-high-power-reverse-parker-upgrade.html

because my previous led t10 globes, one side anyway, started flickering after about a year. These have. 2 year warranty and are many times brighter than the previous ones, which I thought were ok. Easy to fit... 

• Like 1

Looks Good Matt how about taking some Pic's for us to see how they were fitted and what they look like, always interested in better reverse lights as backing down my driveway at night even with the rev camera is a nightmare 

Thanks for the info mate

KAA

I really dig the idea of upgrading the reversing lights because I have a long, slightly narrow driveway and it's a bit of a bugger at night reversing in especially as we tend to have tinted windows too these days. It's not lit and is pretty dark. I have to concentrate harder at night when reversing in.

I also appreciate the headlight upgrade, but the problem is if everybody puts these super bright LEDs, it may be good for the driver to be able to see better, but for oncoming drivers, like myself, we get blinded by the brightness. I think they've gone a bit too far with trying to out do each other to see who can make the brightest LED. 

Isn't there some kind of law or rule that could make this a potential hazard ? There should be a limit to how many lumen is acceptable and not cause someone to run off the road from temporary blindness.

• Like 1

Interesting product design compared to the usual T10 LED bulb and a very significant Lumen output. I can certainly see why STEDI is recommending that their intended purpose is for the reversing light. Good alternative to fitting a light bar or similar accessory for reversing. 

I currently have T10 LED bulbs fitted as parking lights and I drive with them on all the time. I was finding that there is not much length within the light housing so some longer length bulbs would not fit.

I have also got LED headlight bulbs fitted which have a decent Lumen output so not feeling the need for using these STEDI high output bulbs as parking lights. However, I can certainly see how they would augment the headlight bulbs and be quite effective as daytime lights.  

• Like 1

I agree with Tony about the Lumen levels of LED headlights out there..some just plug them in not putting in mind the adjustment needed so as to not blind us coming the other way..I almost had to stop on the highway 2 nights ago because i was temporarily blinded by some idiot in a huge 4 wheel drive with leds pointed straight in my windscreen..I am though interested as i said about reversing lights, I did look at the site you posted Matt..by easy fitting what did you mean? just plug in existing slots?

KAA

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KAA said:

.I almost had to stop on the highway 2 nights ago because i was temporarily blinded by some idiot in a huge 4 wheel drive with leds pointed straight in my windscreen

Those Neanderthals in their obnoxious Tonka trucks. Sheesh, don't I know it.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Those Neanderthals in their obnoxious Tonka trucks. Sheesh, don't I know it.

KARMA.  One of these will always "Eat Tonkas for breakfast." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8dnbUmQ0o 

Something to have a chuckle about while we wait for Matt to do a follow up post with more details. 

• Haha 1

Yes exactly what i need but cant afford or have space for in my yard..thanks Ash..I just slowed down hand up to cut down the blinding glare and swore very very loudly

Hugs and Keep Safe

KAA

29 minutes ago, KAA said:

Yes exactly what i need but cant afford or have space for in my yard..thanks Ash..I just slowed down hand up to cut down the blinding glare and swore very very loudly

Hugs and Keep Safe

KAA

I can wear these sort of glasses during the day, especially useful on the last road trip to ease eye strain.

At night, they are on top of my head so can be readily put on to deal with any blinding glare. Also handy to use the driving tip of looking more to the left hand side of the road instead of directly ahead. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Night-Driving-Glasses-Anti-Glare-HD-Night-Vision-Clarity-Lenses/223796974751?hash=item341b56d49f:g:vCAAAOSwsnVd9qe0 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

KARMA.  One of these will always "Eat Tonkas for breakfast." 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB8dnbUmQ0o 

Something to have a chuckle about while we wait for Matt to do a follow up post with more details. 

Now That's what you call a truck !! A home away from home. Nice.

I have previously used those T10 LED bulbs with wire electrode connectors and they did not last. After watching this YouTube video, all was explained about why they were not lasting, so changed over to the different design.

https://youtu.be/-gbOb9EhF7o

I have also run into issues of length in the different light housings. 

15 hours ago, matt36415 said:

I have them as parkers, they just fitted straight in to the light housing and the wire on the globe fits straight into the car wiring plug. 

What I particularly noted about these STEDI high output LEDs is the inclusion of a cooling fan similar to what you can find on LED headlight bulbs. Great design feature to ensure that the light housing is not affected by the heat from the high output LEDs.

Thanks for the video Ash, perfect retrofit has always been my concern, If I am going to lay out money for a product I want a perfect fit and long lasting quality,

Most globes in my Presara are already LED inside the cabin..have never looked at what is in the rear tail lights as they always seem bright anyway..only things I would like is the brighter Reverse Lights without having to go to the expense of adding a LED bar..thanks again for the info I have seen several Youtube videos talking about rubbish LED globes that are circulating out there.

Keep Safe

KAA

The high beam also turns on the led bar, its stedi too. Very good for driving out of town and seeing foxes and kangaroos on the roadside or far up the road so I dont have to hit them. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, matt36415 said:

The high beam also turns on the led bar, its stedi too. Very good for driving out of town and seeing foxes and kangaroos on the roadside or far up the road so I dont have to hit them. 

I can just imagine how effective the lighting would be at night on country roads.

Absolutely essential to light up those biological hazards as far down the road and be safe.

Only reason I do not have a light bar fitted is because my night driving is in the city or on well lit highways. Therefore, I rarely use high beam so left the high beam bulbs as halogens. Having a decent set of LED [low beam] headlight bulbs meets my current driving needs.

City driving with street lighting is totally different to driving on country roads at night. This well explains why you have fitted the STEDI as parking lights.

Thank you for bringing these high output LED T10 bulbs to the attention of the Forum members.

• Like 1

Yes thanks for the pic's and info Matt appreciate it, if you get a chance please let me know about the fitting and type of the reverse lights LEDs, and I agree with Ash about the Light Bar superb for spotting the wildlife well in advance

Keep Safe

KAA

On 8/30/2020 at 10:18 PM, KAA said:

Yes thanks for the pic's and info Matt appreciate it, if you get a chance please let me know about the fitting and type of the reverse lights LEDs

The stedi lights have a wire, about 5cm long that fits the existing parking light t10 fitting. The body of the light- the orange part fits into the headlight body in the same way the small, original t10 globe fits in. 

As a reverse light, no idea, I have not tried.

• Thanks 1

Thanks heaps Matt, I will look into it can't hurt, and if good will make night reverses of my tricky small driveway a lot easier

Keep Safe Mate

KAA

• 8 months later...

Hi Matt,

I am very interested in upgrading my front parking lights to LED like you have done. Like you, I use the parking lights as DRLs. 

So, are you saying that you bought the Stedi LEDs which are recommended for reversing lights but you have used them for parking lights?

How difficult is access to the rear of the lights? I read that a plastic panel inside the wheel arch has to be removed and removing the wheel makes the job easier.

2008 Aurion Touring.

Thanks mate.

1 hour ago, Jacaranda said:

How difficult is access to the rear of the lights? I read that a plastic panel inside the wheel arch has to be removed and removing the wheel makes the job easier.

I just loosened the front half of the inner plastic guard inside the wheel arch.

You can then access the side of the headlight unit for the parking light.

Limiting factor is the length of the LED bulb that will fit in the housing.

Thanks Ashley,

So you didn't need to remove the wheel?

I'm assuming that the length of the LED bulb won't be an issue if I buy the Stedi bulbs that Matt bought?

5 hours ago, Jacaranda said:

So you didn't need to remove the wheel?

It's better to remove the wheel if you want the front half of the inner liner out of the way so you can see what you're doing.

If you have a trolley jack, you can raise the whole front and do both at the same time.