Rear muffler delete

L4WL3SS

Removed both mufflers from my 2011 aurion to see what it sounded like, & because I've gotten bored with the car.

Suprisingly, these engines have a nice burbly note, & at full throttle a bit like a sportscar along with a hectic double pop between gears in manual mode. Volume isn't toooooo loud, I'd say 6.8/10

Ive read the this mod won't do anything other than make noise.... Rubbish. There is a clear increase in acceleration at full throttle, & my fuel consumption went down even with harder driving. Wonderful. 

Now for the bad stuff...... There's a massive resonant drone @2200-2300rpms mainly when the transmission is in too high of a gear for the speed, which with damn autos, is most of the time. The drone is pretty deafening & it has to go so I won't be getting straight pipe made up to replace the factory setup. Below is a Pic how it looks now

I've got 2 oval resonators ready to fit on Friday to combat this drone. The idiots sent me 2 different brands, but the specs are the same. 16" x 5" x 3" and will be fitted with 2" pipe along with a pair of decent sized tips. 

IMG-20200902-145240.jpg

I'm hoping the volume won't change too much, but the drone dies. Will update how I go. If the issue is still there, then will do a pair of J-pipes which I've worked out to be 29.4" long for this engine at those rpms

Edited by L4WL3SS

10 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Removed both mufflers from my 2011 aurion to see what it sounded like, & because I've gotten bored with the car.

I think that it was more about getting bored and wanting a change. I have certainly looked at a number of YouTube videos about the exhaust after a muffler delete.

have previously read about the muffler delete but cannot recall any feed back about massive drone which is what I was expecting. I had also read about not fitting resonators instead of mufflers because of fuel economy impacts???. This did not make sense because I would have thought that the resonator would have performed similar to a hi flow or straight muffler.

If you have still got drone after fitting these resonators, a quick solution is to ram/pack them with some stainless steel wool scourers [from Coles or Woolworths] or stainless steel mesh

https://www.ebay.com.au/i/143057353992?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=705-139619-5960-0&mkcid=2&itemid=143057353992&targetid=921460872233&device=c&mktype=&googleloc=9068968&poi=&campaignid=10892897993&mkgroupid=107582961032&rlsatarget=pla-921460872233&abcId=9300398&merchantid=116257229&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIqY3dsuzJ6wIVRqqWCh29xg2bEAQYASABEgInu_D_BwE

Another exhaust modification you could consider is the Y pipe.

Yeah I researched the muffler delete to death, most threads coming from this site. There was a mention of someone happy with the sound, but as like me they planned on fitting resonators, but they never came back to update. These ressies are glass packed, should do much better than hotdogs.

Edited by L4WL3SS

9 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

can't see myself spending the coin to get it done, as I'm sure I would get raped by the exhaust mobs to do it

Suggest you have a detailed read of the posts in that Y Pipe thread. Reported costs are a mild ravaging of the wallet, otherwise it would not be on my reference list. More than likely I am not going to do it because I prefer the torque to be maximum at lower revs.

It is just me but I prefer to have a super quiet exhaust and maintain the sleeper car effect

• Like 3

I steered away from from loud exhausts when I got this car as it was a pleasant change. But since I dropped the mufflers, I have actually been looking for excuses to drive the car now. So disappointed about the drone just in that small Rev range, but quite surprised how the 3 cats & middle ressie do such a good job volume wise even without the rear mufflers. 

5 hours ago, campbeam said:

It is just me but I prefer to have a super quiet exhaust and maintain the sleeper car effect

Not just you Ash, my boy racer loud car days are way behind me, I love the quietness of my Presara, I am into comfort, quiet, music, and sleeper power these days.

Nothing better than pulling up beside some young boy racer with his head thump thump music going, tinny rumble from his exhaust as he thinks he has got you sorted and then ZOOM..leave him in the dust when the lights change..mind you only up to the speed limit..but fast up to the speed limit..LOL

Keep Safe

KAA

• Like 2

2 hours ago, KAA said:

Nothing better than pulling up beside some young boy racer with his head thump thump music going, tinny rumble from his exhaust as he thinks he has got you sorted and then ZOOM..leave him in the dust when the lights change..mind you only up to the speed limit..but fast up to the speed limit..LOL

Red flag to an old bull. One evening, I could not resist the exhaust rumble of a double dual exhaust especially since my Aurion is now running as if it has a tiger in the tank. Got that bit of madness out of the system so now back to low profile, sleeper mode. Also very lucky that it was not an unmarked police car on Saturday night patrol. 

Perhaps next time I will be a bit more mature [in recognition of my advanced years] and just ignore.

Getting back on track to this thread, I am interested to read how this exhaust modification works out. I do like efficiency gains. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

The issue I see with "sleepers" is enjoyment & excitement only comes when ur being silly with the car. Hearing a burble when cruising around leaves me content. I quickly realized full throttle in these doing anything under 45kph chews expensive tyres very quickly. All my rwd I've owned you could feather it off the mark then plant it & save rubber

Sleeper mode to my mind is being low profile as to not attract attention. Others can show off and get the speeding tickets etc.

Being silly/stupid greatly increases the risk so drive safely within your own and the vehicle's limitations. I just say this because I know myself; too aggressive in my younger days to be behind the wheel so I did not get my driver's license until I was 21. Another reason why I never even tried to get a motorcycle license to most certainly become a temporary Australian or future organ donor. Girlfriend [codename Cheeky] has only been saying that I was hard-headed for 3 years before I finally agreed with her.

I get a lot of enjoyment driving my Aurion just knowing that it has 200KW and it is a great highway cruiser. Sometimes, I turn the radio off just to enjoy hearing the engine.

Like yourself, I am not going to chew my tyres. Most times, other vehicles are faster off from the traffic lights on the main highway only for me to drive past them a few hundred metres later while doing the speed limit. After coming back from a recent road trip, I am more aware of fuel economy and the lead foot  effect. Before I would be seeing 2500 to 3000 rpm when taking off, now I am more concentrating to get 1800 to 2000 rpm.

Years ago, I bought a manual Honda Prelude that was fitted with a 3" muffler supposedly so my boys could use it to get their manual driving licenses. Drone was so bad that I did not enjoy driving it until I stuffed the muffler with stainless steel scourers. Certainly eliminated the drone and there were no bad effects upon performance etc

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Girlfriend [codename Cheeky] has only been saying that I was hard-headed for 3 years before I finally agreed with her.

LOL .....Funny thing is I had a similar experience..Finally "She Who Must Be Obeyed" said I may be Peter Pan in my head but the body was not living up to flying about anymore, so as I am wanting to live I told her YES DEAR..i will just be the mature husband and keep the Peter Pan part of me limited to how I enjoy life

The Boy racer in me is very tame these days just the odd moment every now and then where it is more about getting well away from an idiot driver who is in my vision, which is why I have only ever lost 2 points in a driving life of 44 years..hmm damn makes me sound old,  but years of experience does count for something

Keep Safe

KAA

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Metal_Head said:

I will go one up on that and state I have never had a collision with another car over 20 years of driving. This event a couple months ago nearly ruined my day though.... Wouldn't of been a cm between us. https://gofile.io/d/WYzcOP

As for single vehicle accidents when I was 17....... I won't comment on that one haha

2 hours ago, KAA said:

I have only ever lost 2 points in a driving life of 44 years..hmm damn makes me sound old,  but years of experience does count for something

Compared to the 2 of you, I am a reformed disaster. SIngle vehicle accident when I was 22... no comment except to say that dirt road, cattle grid just before a bend and too much speed will ruin both your day and your car. Too many points for speeding so lost my license for a number of months. 2 accidents in a row finally convinced me to mend my ways. Too much speed led to an incident with a kerb. Solution was to buy a new vehicle in 1998. Further reform when you have family responsibilities. Since then, I have had a few close calls. Braking hard to then aquaplane at 80kph is not a pleasant experience. Last one was just millimetres involving a female driver trying to do a lane change after stopping at traffic lights. Very fortunate that I had room and was able to literally throw the car sideways. Certainly a brown undies moment and I would have readily gifted them to her.  

Constantly reminding myself to be patient and drive defensively. Similar to KAA, I give those "accidents waiting to happen" drivers a wide berth.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

TRD dressed as an atx would make a nice sleeper 

I recognise an Aurion from a Camry by looking for a dual exhaust. Easy to hide the badges and even put on some Camry ones. 

It would be a bit more cost and effort to actually hide the exhaust tips. Now we are moving into Q Ship mode.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

TRD dressed as an atx would make a nice sleeper 

Why would you do that to a TRD ?

I'd much rather bolting a super charger to the ATX and put the obligatory wide brim hat on the rear parcel shelf. The ultimate sleeper 😁

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

put the obligatory wide brim hat on the rear parcel shelf. The ultimate sleeper 😁

Volvo drivers and their hats. haha

I have started wearing a cap occasionally. Maybe start a trend so idiot drivers avoid me. In my dreams. 

When I get bored and want a change, might give the mufflers a spray with some high temperature paint to blend in with the rear bumper. 

LOL I will admit i wear a porkpie hat or a cap usually every time i drive, 1: It does add to the style of what I drive I feel...2: lack of hair on the skull and with the sunroof open lately it stop me getting a sunburnt skull..3: It confuses the Volvo or boy racer types..and 4: "She Who Must Be Obeyed says I look wonderful in a hat

So as she is my world I follow her advise on all matters..well at least she thinks I do 

KAA

Well I got the resonators (I supplied) fitted, along with new tips (they supplied) & 2" pipe with flanges for easy changeover if needed.

Bad news first...... I got raped bad. Completely ripped off. This covid crap must have businesses desperately trying to recoup their downtime. They took 100 bucks off when they seen the look on my face, & even after that it's shocking. 

Now for the good news..... The drone is gone. Just when it starts to build up & about to reach the previously mentioned sonic boom,...... It just tapers off. General volume wise, well inside the car is very quiet & having the radio on low hides any exhaust mod. So I got someone to Rev the car while I stood behind, and gladly it has a deep muted tone & sounds nice. 

I would happily recommend this mod with these resonators for someone who wants a deep tone for their aurion, and still have it relatively quiet inside. Just make sure u first get quotes, instead of assuming the local shop will do an honest job.

Edited by L4WL3SS