Suspension upgrade/tyres

donnot

8 minutes ago, donnot said:

they found that the water pump was leaking and throwing coolant everywhere (I was brushing off a slight coolant smell lately 😄).

Only 330 in labour which seems ridiculously cheap, so going to sort that out (going to source genuine parts which won't be much more than their brand). Might as well get the bushings done at the same time. 

Thought I was past the common 150000km water pump curse, but no :(. 

Bummer. You'd be wrong in thinking Genuine Parts won't be much more than after market. More than double and in some cases triple the price !

I think it's not necessarily the amount of kays, it's the amount of heat cycles the engine gets which will ultimately dictate the lifespan of these pumps and any other pumps for that matter.

If it's still the original, I think it's done its time.

Toyota

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-Toyota-Engine-Water-Pump-Aurion-Oct-2006-Dec-2017-16100-39456/262581047714?epid=611133062&hash=item3d230cd1a2:g:bDgAAOSws4te8qTe

Pump Gasket

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOYOTA-AURION-WATER-PUMP-GASKET-GSV50-GSV40-METAL-NEW-GENUINE-1627131030/271778082154?epid=609111996&hash=item3f473c6d6a:g:E-wAAOSwS7FcqqSo:sc:AU_Express!2148!AU!-1

Aftermarket

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gates-Water-Pump-GWP5245-fits-Toyota-Aurion-3-5-GSV40R/163443615746?epid=4027282712&hash=item260dffa802:g:c-UAAOSwlahdYFDW

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Gates-Water-Pump-GWP5245-fits-Toyota-Aurion-3-5-GSV40R/163443615746?epid=4027282712&hash=item260dffa802:g:c-UAAOSwlahdYFDW

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Aisin-Water-Pump-WPT-142/323741683412?fits=Model%3AAurion|Make%3AToyota&epid=250135074&hash=item4b60820ed4:g:4-UAAOSwfZpeucgp

The part they quoted was ~170 and I don't think they'd be comfortable with other aftermarket parts after discussing :/. The pump seems to come with the gasket, I'm happy with the extra $70 considering labour is a lot cheaper than others have been quoted...

4 minutes ago, donnot said:

The part they quoted was ~170

I doubt it's a Genuine Toyota Part for that money. Did he say it was Genuine Toyota or a "Genuine" water pump. ~Around $170 could wind up being $250 even.

I'd get some more clarification on that.

3 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I doubt it's a Genuine Toyota Part for that money. Did he say it was Genuine Toyota or a "Genuine" water pump. ~Around $170 could wind up being $250 even.

I'd get some more clarification on that.

Sorry, I meant their brand part (can't remember exactly). Genuine would be upwards of 250.

Ahh forgot to mention - tyres will make a big difference to grip on these cars, but I'm sure you already know this. Bugger about that dreaded water pump 😐 Yes genuine part definitely better, it's an Aisin part which is owned by Toyota.

9 minutes ago, ZZT86 said:

Ahh forgot to mention - tyres will make a big difference to grip on these cars, but I'm sure you already know this. Bugger about that dreaded water pump 😐 Yes genuine part definitely better, it's an Aisin part which is owned by Toyota.

Had new tyres fitted ~10k ago (Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus). Very quiet and seem to be grippy in wet/dry - very deep tread but obviously a weaker sidewall than the Potenza's etc. 

Have to look at the upside of the water pump - I'll save on labour getting the alternator pulley replaced (damn annoying squeak!) and the drive belt while they're in there for good measure. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donnot said:

Have to look at the upside of the water pump - I'll save on labour getting the alternator pulley replaced (damn annoying squeak!) and the drive belt while they're in there for good measure. 

I agree. Time to refresh whatever you can in there while it's up on the hoist and have it apart. Have him lube the idler pulleys too. The bearings have a tendency to dry out and squeak as well.

https://www.motor.com/magazinepdfs/102012_13.pdf

• Like 1

Does the Touring model have different springs to the AT-X? Had a proper drive in my brother's 2007 AT-X and it feels more stable around corners and like it has less bodyroll (even without the rear sway bar + FSB). Still very soft/comfortable. Maybe my struts are worse than I thought. 

Also sounds much quieter in the cabin (re: engine noise, road noise) which was unusual. Will do some further investigation. I've applied sound deadener to the doors (Butyl cut into strips) which made a noticeable difference, but it still seems louder...

Edited by donnot

1 hour ago, donnot said:

Does the Touring model have different springs to the AT-X?

I would say no. The Touring was essentially an ATX with a few more options. The wheel size combo for the ATX and Touring are identical (216/60R16) which doesn't suggest anything special in the suspension dept. Kerb weight is also identical at 1590kg only for these two variants. I'm thinking your brothers car may just have better condition suspension, hence the better stability.

1 hour ago, donnot said:

Also sounds much quieter in the cabin (re: engine noise, road noise) which was unusual. Will do some further investigation

Tyre degradation also plays a huge part with cabin noise, because as the tyres age they harden and they tend to amplify the road noise and if your suspension bushes and struts are bad this doesn't help much either.

Aurions are very quiet normally without having to add any extra deadening. It's always nice to have it but it's not necessary. Fix the suspension and put new tyres and see how much nicer it will be.

• Like 2

Tyres are near new (Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus) which are a lot quieter than the previous Goodyear's (only ~10,000kms on them) and are supposed to be among the quietest. Still quiet, but his seems noticeably quieter (especially the engine noise). Maybe the previous owner has done some work, but I'll need to have a look :/. He's running Kumho ES01's of a similar age. 

Will try and find the brand/model of his struts. Very impressed considering his is on the stock RSB. 

• Like 1

On 9/10/2020 at 4:16 AM, donnot said:

Recently installed the UR Front strut bar and rear sway bar and I'm really impressed - but it's left me wanting more. I suspect that my shocks are quite worn at 160k (they feel sloppy compared to my brother's at 120k). 

We have gone full circle so back to your original post.

I remember reading an internet post that upgrading your rear sway bar is like applying a band aid when the real underlying problem is worn shocks/struts.

I was going to put that statement to the test by replacing the rear struts and then see how much it reduced the rear body roll going around a local roundabout. What ended up happening was the exact opposite in that I applied an  "ättractively priced band aid" which has reduced the body roll and the new replacement struts are still in their packaging.

When I want more handling then I will be fitting the replacement struts. Also been delaying waiting for the QLD NSW border to fully open without restrictions then do the replacement after the trip.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, campbeam said:

We have gone full circle so back to your original post.

Indeed we have 😆 

About to pull the trigger on some KYB Excel-G's for ~$480 shipped (eBay Plus code). Should guarantee an improvement considering how people talk about how stiff they are (vs other OE shocks). Was worried that Sachs would be too soft. Probably 4 hours labour for install? 

Edited by donnot
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I wonder if that strut bar will also fit the 50 series. Anyone have any idea ??

The answer is in this thread which has posts from both of us back in 2017.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, donnot said:

Indeed we have 😆 

About to pull the trigger on some KYB Excel-G's for ~$480 shipped (eBay Plus code). Should guarantee an improvement considering how people talk about how stiff they are (vs other OE shocks). Was worried that Sachs would be too soft. Probably 4 hours labour for install? 

An estimate of 4 hours labour is realistic assuming no problems with disassembly and reassembly. Usually there is always 1 bolt that is troublesome. Following YouTube video shows what is involved in replacing the rear struts. 

Certainly interest to hear your feedback once the KYB Excel-G's have been fitted, particularly stiffness of the ride.

• Like 1

On 10/15/2020 at 6:17 PM, donnot said:

Indeed we have 😆 

KYB actually state as part of their marketing "have been designed to compensate for wear in other suspension parts", ie: they're stiffer. I confirmed this a few years ago when I spoke to a bloke from KYB technical, so b/w 10-15% stiffer ;)

7 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

KYB actually state as part of their marketing "have been designed to compensate for wear in other suspension parts", ie: they're stiffer. I confirmed this a few years ago when I spoke to a bloke from KYB technical, so b/w 10-15% stiffer 😉

I can't wait 😁 people are always commenting on how comfortable/soft my car is...

On the topic of stiffer, I had Nolathane (poly) lower control arm bushings installed (which are supposed to make the steering feel noticeably harsher) as one of the rubber ones broke when they were installing them. I can barely notice a difference in NVH though, and the steering feel is much improved (feels less sloppy and lighter). 

2 hours ago, donnot said:

I can't wait 😁 people are always commenting on how comfortable/soft my car is...

That's the difference between Aurion and say a Camry and many others. They are uniquely nice in the comfort dept.

2 hours ago, donnot said:

On the topic of stiffer, I had Nolathane (poly) lower control arm bushings installed (which are supposed to make the steering feel noticeably harsher) as one of the rubber ones broke when they were installing them. I can barely notice a difference in NVH though, and the steering feel is much improved (feels less sloppy and lighter). 

That's interesting because it has been reported to avoid poly bushes because it makes the ride more harsh. Reading your comment kind of adds some vindication that poly bushes can have their benefit. The steering feeling lighter and less sloppy is a big bonus.

13 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's interesting because it has been reported to avoid poly bushes because it makes the ride more harsh.

That's what I was expecting to be honest. Went for a drive over the much rougher and windy roads in the hills today and I was struggling to notice a difference in harshness. Stiffer suspension might make it more pronounced though. 

Only complaint now is that the steering rack is too slow, but can't do anything about that :(. 

4 hours ago, donnot said:

Only complaint now is that the steering rack is too slow, but can't do anything about that :(.

I have noticed that when I have the front tyre pressures at 40 psi, the steering is very responsive. 

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

I have noticed that when I have the front tyre pressures at 40 psi, the steering is very responsive. 

Definitely - have them at 40psi at the moment and the steering feel is great. I just sometimes wish it had a lower steering ratio (i.e. less input required) but can't have everything 😅

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

That's also interesting. I've been following the tyre recommendation of 240 KPA (34.8 psi). I must try this pressure you both speak of because I do notice that the steering is a little on the heavy side and a little clumsy. My tyres are close to end of life anyway, so i'll be researching new tyres now.

28 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

That's also interesting. I've been following the tyre recommendation of 240 KPA (34.8 psi). I must try this pressure you both speak of because I do notice that the steering is a little on the heavy side and a little clumsy. My tyres are close to end of life anyway, so i'll be researching new tyres now.

I did find the sweet spot at 37-38 front and 40 rear to keep it in line. I have a lot less confidence pulling out @40 psi on the fronts as the wheels lose traction a lot easier, and I didn't feel as safe in the 'roundabout test' 😁. Definitely worth experimenting! 

Re: tyres, I was recommended the Turanza Serenity Plus's - I've been quite hard on them and the fronts weren't showing a huge amount of wear after ~10,000km. Feel very safe in the wet compared to my brother's Kumho's and the previous Goodyear's. Others speak quite highly of them and you can often find them at 4 for 3. Was almost tempted to get a set of RE003's for performance sake, but feedback on noise/lifespan put me off 😕

Edited by donnot

Haha, you're up early Luke. I thought I was the only one lol..

I have been on Michelin Primacy LCs since the start of my ownership and found them to be pretty good. Very quiet too. I think I may be persuaded to try something else as a change and see how they will compare. I'll definitely look into the Turanza. 

• Like 1