Suspension upgrade/tyres

donnot

Results are in! Springs haven't set in yet obviously (was told that they'll drop a bit more) but initially, around 2cm drop in the front and 2.5cm drop in the rear. Exhaust (lowest point of the car) is still ~12-12.5cm from the ground, so should be legal even once it's dropped a bit more. Images: https://www.imgur.com/a/nSe2Y0J

Ride comfort seems to have dramatically improved somehow (maybe my shocks were completely done for) - especially at low speeds, it doesn't bounce around with the tyres at 40psi. (I know others have complained about the Aurion being a bit bouncy at lower speeds though). Handling is obviously muuuuch better - I feel a slight amount of body roll at the very start of a corner, but it feels very stable after that. Going to experiment with 38psi. 

My tyres (16" and thick sidewall) have always been the weak-point - may go for 18" rims in the future.

Edited by donnot
  • Like 1

One thing I did notice is a noise I can't explain - like a 'squoish'. I had this exact noise before when the old shocks were in and I went over something substantial like a speed hump. Now I can hear it even over small bumps in the road (obviously the struts are compressed more, but I wasn't sure if this noise was normal or related/not to the struts).  

EDIT: Only the front suspension - no noise from the backs. 

EDIT 2: Also noticed that the steering is much slower to return to centre/doesn't automatically return to centre at all at low speeds 😕

Edited by donnot

Looks great. Yes they will settle a bit. And yes, lowered cars being uncomfortable is mostly a myth. I had my 2001 falcon fitted with superlows & and new shocks struts, and to this day the most comfortable car I've ever driven

You dropped 50mm & the ride comfort is improved with 40psi pressures? Wow, usually it's the other way around . . . .

60 series profile eco tyres will help this cause, 45series 18's on a performance tyre will change that 😉

Squish noise sounds like normal strut fluid compression.

Clean car 😉

• Like 1

Just now, ZZT86 said:

You dropped 50mm & the ride comfort is improved with 40psi pressures? Wow, usually it's the other way around . . . .

60 series profile eco tyres will help this cause, 45series 18's on a performance tyre will change that 😉

Clean car 😉

Only dropped by around 20-25mm at this stage. Was also on 40psi before but it was very jumpy back then. The squashing sort of noise was unusual since the rear is dropped lower than the fronts and is silent under load - noise on the fronts is quite loud from inside the cabin and a bit annoying 😕

Thanks, needs a wash but looks clean from a distance 😄 (shoutout to Meguiar's wet look wax 😉).

Sorry, my bad, I have no idea where I got 50mm from 🍷🍷 

Still 20-25mm is a nice enough drop, springs usually get thicker as you lower which makes for a more brittle ride although your shocks appear to be controlling them well from the sounds of it.

If noise is really loud, consult the installer. Perhaps time will settle them.

Don't mind Meguiar's, they make some good stuff.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, donnot said:

Results are in! Springs haven't set in yet obviously (was told that they'll drop a bit more) but initially, around 2cm drop in the front and 2.5cm drop in the rear. Exhaust (lowest point of the car) is still ~12-12.5cm from the ground, so should be legal even once it's dropped a bit more. Images: https://www.imgur.com/a/nSe2Y0J

Ride comfort seems to have dramatically improved somehow (maybe my shocks were completely done for) - especially at low speeds, it doesn't bounce around with the tyres at 40psi. (I know others have complained about the Aurion being a bit bouncy at lower speeds though). Handling is obviously muuuuch better - I feel a slight amount of body roll at the very start of a corner, but it feels very stable after that. Going to experiment with 38psi. 

My tyres (16" and thick sidewall) have always been the weak-point - may go for 18" rims in the future.

Looking good Luke ! It's not a drastic drop yet subtle enough to give you the improvement you were looking for. I wouldn't go any lower than that. I think it's perfect. 

Give it some time to settle in a bit and see what it feels like then. 

Well done mate :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Clean car 😉

I know. It seems counterintuitive but I'm sure the dynamics will change will the low profile tyres for sure. You'll lose a lot of the comfort factor with 45's on 18's.

Squish noise could also be the nolathane bushes perhaps ??

31 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I know. It seems counterintuitive but I'm sure the dynamics will change will the low profile tyres for sure. You'll lose a lot of the comfort factor with 45's on 18's.

Squish noise could also be the nolathane bushes perhaps ??

Definitely - comfort has massively exceeded expectations with current tyres but I've got the itch for 18's 😆. I like the look of the Camry 18's like these (not too flashy) but not sure of fitment. If I can find some locally for a reasonable price (ie ~500-600), I'll probably grab them. 

Unfortunately had the same noise when going over massive bumps before nolathane's, and they're pretty solid. I suspect it could just be the struts, but don't see others complaining about this with similar setups (KYB+lower springs) 😞. Will let the springs settle for a few days and get it checked out when it goes for another alignment (and hopefully get the return-to-centre improved too).

7 minutes ago, donnot said:

but I've got the itch for 18's 😆. I like the look of the Camry 18's like these (not too flashy) but not sure of fitment. If I can find some locally for a reasonable price (ie ~500-600), I'll probably grab them. 

Beautiful wheels those actually. If you find a set for that money without any gutter rash I'd jump on them quickly. The ones you linked won't sell because of the awful rash. I believe once a wheel is rashed like that of what's in the picture, it's worthless.

9 minutes ago, donnot said:

Unfortunately had the same noise when going over massive bumps before nolathane's, and they're pretty solid. I suspect it could just be the struts, but don't see others complaining about this with similar setups (KYB+lower springs)

I've never heard such a sound from my car to be honest so I can't be sure where or what could be the cause.

It's obviously something suspension related or something under compression somewhere. Maybe you can check and tighten all the mounting points under there. 

Definitely won't be going bigger - also, I probably need to keep the width <=225 right (have read of others scraping their guards with wider tyres). The 18"/45's are supposed to be slightly smaller after calculating online (~0.2" lower diameter) so they hopefully shouldn't scrub!

After some research, it seems that the caster may be what's slowing the return to centre (and making the steering feel heavier/less responsive). It's also pulling right as opposed to the very slight left pull before... 

(Sorry, going off-topic a bit - should really create a tyres thread and didn't want to hijack Tony's thread).

I'm probably going to pick-up a set of CH-R wheels tomorrow (18", 7" width, +50 offset) and am a bit torn on tyres. Looking at 215/45R18's (225's would be a bit wide for the rim imo) and WOW they're expensive in general. Bridgestone RE003's are $283 with "buy 3 get one free" which ends today, so $849, or I can spend a bit more (~150) and get a set of 'best-in-class' Pilot Sport 4's. Have a motorkhana ("autocross") type event (aimed more at beginners like me 😄) coming up and probably more track use in the future. Obviously not buying these just for the track - the extra grip/safety for general spirited driving would be nice.

Any other suggestions/recommendations?

Edited by donnot

16 minutes ago, donnot said:

(Sorry, going off-topic a bit - should really create a tyres thread and didn't want to hijack Tony's thread).

All good Buddy. Feel free to join my tyres thread if you like. It's all relative anyway.

18 minutes ago, donnot said:

Looking at 215/45R18's (225's would be a bit wide for the rim imo) and WOW they're expensive in general. Bridgestone RE003's are $283 with "buy 3 get one free" which ends today, so $849, or I can spend a bit more (~150) and get a set of 'best-in-class' Pilot Sport 4's. Have a motorkhana ("autocross") type event (aimed more at beginners like me 😄) coming up and probably more track use in the future. Obviously not buying these just for the track - the extra grip/safety for general spirited driving would be nice.

I'd have a hard time deviating from the Michelin brand. If It were my choice, I'd spend the extra $$ for the Pilot Sport 4. From everything I've read, It seems to be the more superior tyre in that range before you start going to the Cups.

I think I'll probably do the same too, not discounting the Primacy 4, it would be nice to try something a bit different. If I find the wear unacceptable then I'll go back one to the the Primacy 4.

Just wish the retailers offer deals on MIchelin tyres instead of the tyres nobody really wants..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'd have a hard time deviating from the Michelin brand. If It were my choice, I'd spend the extra $$ for the Pilot Sport 4. From everything I've read, It seems to be the more superior tyre in that range before you start going to the Cups.

I've read the same - definitely tempting! From my research, the wet grip seems to be noticeably better on the Michelins so that's swayed me a lot. 

Feel like I'm overcapitalising on the Aurion a bit, but there isn't much else out there without spending a lot more and I can't keep saving 😆.  

8 minutes ago, donnot said:

Feel like I'm overcapitalising on the Aurion a bit, but there isn't much else out there without spending a lot more and I can't keep saving 😆.  

Money... What's money ?? 🤣 (Famous line from Seinfeld, when Jerry was contemplating buying that Suede Jacket with the candy stripe lining)

Live a little, spoil yourself.. 😜

• Like 1

After more research...my main concern now is that, since the offset is 50mm with the CH-R rims vs 45 of the stock (which are already quite recessed), they are going to look pretty 💩. Looking at the thread here everyone seems to be running 30-45mm offsets with 225/235/245's (albeit with some scrubbing in cases). Probably not ideal to run a 5mm spacer?

Can also get a set of Toyota 18"x7.5" for cheaper but the offset is 30mm (which is probably too low?). Not very well educated in this. 

Edited by donnot

8 minutes ago, donnot said:

Can also get a set of Toyota 18"x7.5" for cheaper but the offset is 30mm (which is probably too low?). Not very well educated in this. 

You'd probably have better fitment with a Toyota 18" wheel from either Aurion or Camry. It should take some of the guesswork out I'm sure.

You can try a local wheel place, sometimes they sell Good second Hand Toyota wheels that owners sell to them when buying new wheel/tyre combos. I constantly scour gumtree and Ebay and browse the market to see what's on offer.

After looking at some of the latest posts, I would be thinking of having a set of 18"wheels fitted with the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 just for use on track days etc. Best to check with a reputable tyre dealer about the recommended wheel width for these tyres. It is all about safety; last thing you want is tyres coming off the rim when you are driving hard.

https://www.tsw.com/explore-tsw-custom-wheels/what-is-wheel-offset.php

Stay with your existing wheels and tyres for everyday general driving.

As you have noticed larger diameter lower profile tyres are more expensive. 

On 10/28/2020 at 3:42 AM, donnot said:

😆

Apologize for the quote, for some reason this page has it prefilled and I can't delete it all. 

Anyway, the chr rims sink in 10mm more than standard. I'm running 235s and doesn't scrub, if that helps. There's a couple sites which let u enter details of rim sizes for comparison to see if it's doable. I remember even looking at a factory Nissan qashqai 19" rim to fit on my aurion as the specs were so similar, just needing a hub ring to make it fit, but came across the chr's cheap

4 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

Apologize for the quote, for some reason this page has it prefilled and I can't delete it all. 

Anyway, the chr rims sink in 10mm more than standard. I'm running 235s and doesn't scrub, if that helps. There's a couple sites which let u enter details of rim sizes for comparison to see if it's doable. I remember even looking at a factory Nissan qashqai 19" rim to fit on my aurion as the specs were so similar, just needing a hub ring to make it fit, but came across the chr's cheap

Thanks, what do you mean by sink in by 10mm? I was under the impression that the actual rim would stick out slightly and tyre would sink in by 5mm (5mm larger offset but 0.5" wider rim). My current 215's on a 6.5" rim look waaaaay too big (bulging out the sides) - which is fine for a 60 profile tyre but I'm not sure at 45. Are you running the CH-R rims and did you need spacers etc, and do you have any photos with your 235's?

The set I'm looking at (new) is around $500 which seems reasonable?

Edited by donnot

30 minutes ago, donnot said:

I have noticed this too. at the bottom do you see "clear editor" option with an "X" ?

That's how you can clear the prefilled text. Otherwise try doing a page refresh. Not sure why it happens. It was glitchy like this in the old skin too.

Forum Toyota.png

• Thanks 1

Donnot, yeah forgot to mention "compared to my factory 17" touring alloys" they sit 10mm inwards away from the wheel arch if that makes sense. It's noticeable but not that much and I'm content. They bolt straight on, and use the same shank type wheel nuts that my alloys used.... I can't comment if steel wheels use different nuts. Center bore hole is the same, and offset is very close to stock so no spacers needed. From my research, the 'perfect' fitting tyre on a 7" wide rim is 225, but 235 is still considered suitable & I wanted as wide as possible. I've painted a few spokes on mine to resemble the updated chr wheels as the "petal" look got tiring after awhile. While take a Pic in a sec

Edited by Metal_Head

4 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

I've painted a few spokes on mine to resemble the updated chr wheels as the "petal" look got tiring after awhile.

Oh...I think I'm getting the petal ones :/. Also have the option of these but I wasn't sure on them...