Suspension upgrade/tyres

donnot

1 hour ago, donnot said:

Was looking into moly and copper based but ended up with the Bendix.

I used the Penrite Copper eze anti-seize grease on the slider pins. After last 2 road trips and about 6000 kms, I am intending to check the brakes pads and slider pins again. It is available at Repco.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fluids/greases-lubricants/greases/penrite-copper-eze-anti-seize-grease-500g-ceze0005/p/A9307309  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

I used the Penrite Copper eze anti-seize grease on the slider pins. After last 2 road trips and about 6000 kms, I am intending to check the brakes pads and slider pins again. It is available at Repco.

https://www.repco.com.au/en/oils-fluids/greases-lubricants/greases/penrite-copper-eze-anti-seize-grease-500g-ceze0005/p/A9307309  

Yep, definitely use this too. I used moly grease because it was on my shelf and didn't have anything else on the day. Seems to be working just fine.

• 1 month later...

Finally made the effort and fitted new Sachs struts and King [standard height] springs. As expected, struts were a direct fit with brake and ABS hoses bolting onto the strut brackets. 

I did the rear struts yesterday starting at 8:45AM and finishing at 3:30PM including 45 minutes for breaks. Rear springs [KTRS-61] were actually lower than the OEM springs being replaced. I was able to compress the spring enough to start the retaining nut without having to use the spring compressors. Fair bit of time was spent/lost trying get the upper strut mount into position and start the upper retaining nuts.

After a break, I then replaced the fuel filter which had a few challenges and finally worked out well. Rear seat will be refitted tomorrow. 

Odometer reading was 225,675kms and struts being replaced looked like original OEM.

I did the front struts this morning starting at 7:50AM and finishing at 1:10PM including 25 minutes for breaks. Front springs KTFS-63 were the same height as the OEM springs being replaced. Definitely need the spring compressors to be able to start the retaining nut. Strut bearings were in good condition and were given some more lithium grease. It was a lot easier to get the upper strut mount into position and start the upper retaining nuts.

Using a rattle gun and another hydraulic trolley jack made the job a lot easier. 

Ride heights before and after are as follows:

Driver Front: 693mm / 713mm 

Passenger Front: 703mm / 727mm

Driver and Passenger Rear: 703mm / 718mm 

I went for a short test drive to a nearby roundabout on a service road. Wheel alignment looks to be the same based upon the driving wheel. I was not noticing that much of a difference in the handling until I realised that I was doing an extra 20kph through the roundabout. 

In summary, the struts definitely needed to be replaced. As expected, I am very pleased [initially] with the combination of the Sachs struts and King springs. However, I am more after a comfortable ride. 

• Thanks 2

Awesome details there Ash TY, I am sure the more you drive it the more you will appreciate all your hard work mate

Keep Safe and May 2021 be a bloody great year for us all & may we be able to get about the open roads and breathe in the air safely

KAA

Nice to see you tick those boxes Ash. Fiddly job indeed but glad to see it all worked out well. I would say that they were definitely due for replacement looking at your before/after data. Old ones had some sag for sure. Car should feel more planted and less wallow in the front. 

Fuel filter is also a PIA too. Glad it didn't give you too much drama.

By the way, are the Sachs painted black or some other colour ? I don't much like having those fancy red or yellow things protrude from angle of sight. OEM looks just fine.

3 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

By the way, are the Sachs painted black or some other colour ? I don't much like having those fancy red or yellow things protrude from angle of sight. OEM looks just fine.

Sachs struts are painted black. King Springs are painted yellow. I am thinking about rechecking the ride height in a few weeks. Top of the coil is in a different position on the top rubber mount as compared to the OEM springs.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Sachs struts are painted black. King Springs are painted yellow

Ok cool. I guess that's the signature colour for King Springs. Are the springs noticeable ? I say this because I don't like the bright colours standing out. Much prefer all black under there.

2 hours ago, campbeam said:

Top of the coil is in a different position on the top rubber mount as compared to the OEM springs

Interesting that. So is there a particular position the spring needs to be in or it doesn't matter ?

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

So is there a particular position the spring needs to be in or it doesn't matter ?

Spring needs to be positioned in the base up against the indented stop position.

Top strut mount is then positioned as per the indicated arrow for the outer position. Following video at 2:33 shows this. On my front struts it was stamped outer with 1 arrow.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 5:15 PM, campbeam said:

Ride heights before and after are as follows:

Driver Front: 693mm / 713mm 

Passenger Front: 703mm / 727mm

Driver and Passenger Rear: 703mm / 718mm 

Checked the ride heights today which is about 7 weeks after installation.

Driver Front: 706mm

Passenger Front: 718mm 

Driver and Passenger Rear: 706mm 

After wondering about the rear measurement, I realised that I still had tools in the boot. Measurement was unchanged after emptying the boot of tools [trolley jack, socket set, screwdriver set etc.]  

I have camber adjustment bolts so plan is to fit them before booking the car in for a wheel alignment. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, campbeam said:

Checked the ride heights today which is about 7 weeks after installation.

Driver Front: 706mm

Passenger Front: 718mm 

Driver and Passenger Rear: 706mm 

After wondering about the rear measurement, I realised that I still had tools in the boot. Measurement was unchanged after emptying the boot of tools [trolley jack, socket set, screwdriver set etc.]  

I have camber adjustment bolts so plan is to fit them before booking the car in for a wheel alignment. 

I have never checked so mabe its normal...

Do you notice the 12mm height difference between the sides of your car?

23 minutes ago, matt36415 said:

Do you notice the 12mm height difference between the sides of your car?

What I have mainly noticed is that my Aurion does not pull to the left to any significant extent. However, the wheel alignment is still affected by the road camber so I do have a tendency to drive in the right hand lane. 

• 2 years later...
On 12/30/2020 at 12:12 PM, campbeam said:

Spring needs to be positioned in the base up against the indented stop position.

Top strut mount is then positioned as per the indicated arrow for the outer position. Following video at 2:33 shows this. On my front struts it was stamped outer with 1 arrow.

I remembered this YouTube video because of the positioning arrow for the outer position of the top strut mount. This recent YouTube video by The Car Nut about when to and how to replace the struts did briefly mention this mark but not enough detail for my liking a a DIY task.

• Like 1

Have bitten the bullet & given Michelin PS4's or 5's the "bird" due to high pricing. I'm getting something which compares very favourably from Japans own - the Bridgestone Potenza Sport in the 225/45/18 size. I'm expecting to be impressed, I'll report back in a week or so 😉

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Have bitten the bullet & given Michelin PS4's or 5's the "bird" due to high pricing. I'm getting something which compares very favourably from Japans own - the Bridgestone Potenza Sport in the 225/45/18 size. I'm expecting to be impressed, I'll report back in a week or so 😉

So how much are PS4's or 5's in this current climate ? 

I'm happy on regular Michelin's for the 17" rims the Prodigy has. Does the job perfectly and no performance required because it's not a performance car to begin with and is driven tamely.

I feel your frustration though mate. We've had to endure the price gouging during Covid and now with inflation out of control, topped with a dash of transport companies going out of business due to high fuel prices, it's no surprise the stupid costs we have to cop.  I'm glad I don't need tyres for quite some time yet.

6 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm happy on regular Michelin's for the 17" rims the Prodigy has. Does the job perfectly and no performance required because it's not a performance car to begin with and is driven tamely.

I feel your frustration though mate. We've had to endure the price gouging during Covid and now with inflation out of control, topped with a dash of transport companies going out of business due to high fuel prices, it's no surprise the stupid costs we have to cop.  I'm glad I don't need tyres for quite some time yet.

I've checked recently and found the major retailers listing the PS4 and PS5 in 215/55/17 for c. $255 a tyre. The Primacy 4 are priced thereabouts as well. Those prices are dear compared to the c.$200 a tyre I paid in mid 2019 for Primacy 4 when they first launched. 

8 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

TyrePlus quoting $337.5 a tyre for PS5 225/45/18 inc w/a - so $1350 for a set of 4 ! Primacy are essentially the same price. It's an uncommon odd size and as such they sting you for cost, this what I'm told.

I thought about the Turanza T005 but they're basically the same price as the Potenza Sport or RE003 & I prefer best grip so I'm going to try the Sport & see how it goes. It's a highly rated tyre so apart from a little road noise, which I'm expecting to be similar to the PS5, I should be pretty happy.

3 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

TyrePlus quoting $337.5 a tyre for PS5 225/45/18 inc w/a - so $1350 for a set of 4 ! Primacy are essentially the same price. It's an uncommon odd size and as such they sting you for cost, this what I'm told.

I thought about the Turanza T005 but they're basically the same price as the Potenza Sport or RE003 & I prefer best grip so I'm going to try the Sport & see how it goes. It's a highly rated tyre so apart from a little road noise, which I'm expecting to be similar to the PS5, I should be pretty happy.

Ouch. That's nearly double what I paid for a set of tyres for the 17's. I didn't think your 225/45/R18 was an unusual size though to warrant the extra sting. Sheesh..

Road noise wise, I think once you start going 18s and larger with the low profile, you will get a degree of road noise no matter the brand. It gets worse as the tyre wears too, as you know.

Looks like you've done your homework, so I reckon your tyre of choice there should be fine.

Initial thoughts on my purchase of 4 x Bridgestone Potenza Sport tyres 225/45/18 95Y - pleasantly surprised. A touch noisier than Michelin Pilot Sport 4 but comfy as it absorbs bumps well - yep new tyres. Although early days & all based on dry weather driving so far it's all good news really. I notice lots more grip just in the braking alone as I touch the brake pedal, quicker change of steering/direction, more accurate there and the sidewall bead offers up more wheel protection compared to the PS4 which had none.

I'm expecting awesome performance/braking in the wet too when that comes but reckon Bridgestone have kicked Michelins arsse to the moon - it's a better tyre all round & almost $400 cheaper all up ! The same goes for the S007A on my Hachi Rocku I got 1.5 years ago that's hardly been used, another awesome tyre - the Bridgestone glory days are back. Michelin have shot themselves completely buy overpricing their tyres & making them unobtainable - their bad.

Will report back with more soon 👍 👍

Edited by ZZT86
typo
  • Like 1