Replacing OEM Central Catalytic Converter with High Flow

campbeam

1 hour ago, Metal_Head said:

86 being a manual will do that. 

Anything auto kills the vibe. Manual can give it random throttle in any gear & stills feels kind to the vehicle. Flooring it in an auto means long pause followed by huge stall into lower gear & harsh kickback & wheelspin, then transmission thump when you've backed off & confused it. 

Autos suck. 

A sporty or performance car should be a manual for sure but the Aurion is neither. Sure it has more power than you need but you have to remember, it's not a hoon car.

I love the effortless way it glides away off the start with a little tap of the accelerator and transition between gears so seamlessly. That's the joy of a good auto. 

With traffic the way it is who'd want a manual anyway ? I wouldn't daily drive a manual anymore. I'm over that.

Yeah I converted one of my previous projects to manual, along with a 3.73 lsd diff...... Ohhh heaps fun. 

.... Then after a year I got lazy & converted back to auto & 4.11 lsd to keep some sort of "perkiness" 

The aurion handles like a boat & doesn't feel sporty, but sometimes I wish it was a manual... 

27 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Then after a year I got lazy & converted back to auto & 4.11 lsd to keep some sort of "perkiness" 

Haha nice :thumbsup: Did it do 2 MPG too ??

Sounds like a serious machine. Can I ask what it was ?

• Haha 1

Not a serious machine. Cammed & tuned 1994 6cyl falcon. With the 4.11 diff revved higher on the highway obviously, but sat at peak Rev efficiency so fuel usage was negliable. I miss tinkering with older cars, but have no money anymore

Vid I've posted before, someone made for me years ago. Yes it's corny 😂 https://youtu.be/cqR_ifA9rL8

Edited by Metal_Head

47 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

The aurion handles like a boat & doesn't feel sporty, but sometimes I wish it was a manual... 

Where there is a will, there is a way. This is one way to fit a manual transmission.

https://wilhelmraceworks.com/blog/2gr-swap

Anyway, if you want a sportier vehicle, have a look at the GR Yaris and there is also a Ralleye version coming in 2021.

In the meantime, I am quite satisfied driving my Aurion, keeping a low profile with a quiet exhaust and effortlessly driving past lots of vehicles with their attention seeking loud exhausts.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Not a serious machine. Cammed & tuned 1994 6cyl falcon. With the 4.11 diff revved higher on the highway obviously, but sat at peak Rev efficiency so fuel usage was negliable. I miss tinkering with older cars, but have no money anymore

Vid I've posted before, someone made for me years ago. Yes it's corny 😂 https://youtu.be/cqR_ifA9rL8

Dude, I've already seen that video !! I cannot remember how I even got there, but I distinctly remember watching it. That vga phone camera quality.. aaahhh, takes me back :laugh::thumbsup:

• 3 weeks later...

I have been waiting for a road trip to confirm a few aspects/hopes.

Recent observations is that there is no noticeable difference in fuel economy. Lead foot when overtaking is getting in the way plus also changing from 95ULP to 91ULP.

Mixed observations when using cruise control. I was hoping that there would be fewer gear shifts for slight inclines. Sometimes, it would stay in top gear and other times dropping down a gear or 2.

Final outcome is that this upgrade has not produced any apparent benefits on the highway.

6 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Recent observations is that there is no noticeable difference in fuel economy. Lead foot when overtaking is getting in the way plus also changing from 95ULP to 91ULP.

Hi Ash, so are you saying you didn't notice much difference in fuel economy with 95 & 91 ?

6 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Mixed observations when using cruise control. I was hoping that there would be fewer gear shifts for slight inclines. Sometimes, it would stay in top gear and other times dropping down a gear or 2.

I personally hate cruise control. It's the most imperfect system, especially roads with many inclines. I don't mind it on the rarest occasion if I'm going straight for a long distance.

Brings me to another point, those who hog the overtaking lane and insist of letting the cruise do the so called "overtaking" at exactly 100 km/hr whilst the conga line forms behind the selfish turds. This infuriates me. They see you right up on their tail, and instead of accelerating to move left as quickly as possible, they're just in their little world and make everyone wait until Royal Highness is good and ready. ARGGH !

12 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Final outcome is that this upgrade has not produced any apparent benefits on the highway.

Sometimes stock is best. Toyota engineers know what they're doing and most modifications are a waste of money to be honest. Just my view anyway.

• Confused 1

26 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

so are you saying you didn't notice much difference in fuel economy with 95 & 91 ?

I was more trying to point out external factors influencing the fuel economy results. Now that you have asked the question, I just did a quick comparison. Actually, fuel economy with 95 was worse because I was pushing it with plenty of overtaking. Homeward bound with 91 is better because I have had wet roads so been more patient and reduced the overtaking until I had dry roads.

Stock is best? Haha. Cmon.

Free flowing exhaust is best. He opened up a small section & left the rest bottlenecked. Nothing was going to come of this other than prove you can replace a factory cat cheaper with aftermarket. 

Cars are built to a price, to suit there target market. Camrys & aurions are viewed as whitegoods by most enthusiasts, but anything can be improved. It's a shame there's not more people on here to contribute to enhancing these cars. 😞

Edited by Metal_Head

2 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

Camrys & aurions are viewed as whitegoods by most enthusiasts, but anything can be improved. It's a shame there's not more people on here to contribute to enhancing these cars. 😞

It's so easy to loose your license these days so what's the point ? They're not exactly the ideal motor to go punting down the Great Ocean Road @ high speed or the track even. The Aurion in particular is nose heavy.

Like you said whitegoods . . .  😐

5 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

Stock is best? Haha. Cmon.

I think so yes. Why spend all that money trying to chase miniscule gains ? 

The Aurion was never designed to be a performance car in the first place which is probably why there aren't too many modding them. If it were a  rear wheel drive with better weight distribution I'm sure we'd see plenty then. Wouldn't you think so ? I can understand doing suspension for the extra safety factor, but engine performance isn't.

I am more than happy with the way my car is, stock standard, and I really don't need to go down a mole hole chasing extra performance. What for ? It's got plenty of grunt to rival most V6 or even some V8 cars. 

Top Gear did a challenge some time ago debunking this very thing. Watch all 6 parts:

Another thing is speed cameras, unmarked Police, dash cams everywhere, social media spies, crazy traffic are the reasons I don't need to hoon any more. 

• 2 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Sorry guys, to be honest, was a bit under the weather & not in the best mood at the time. Ignore it. 👍

Are you getting old and grumpy like me? 🤣 I have got the grey hair to get away with it too. Certainly not afraid to express an honest opinion. In turn, have to be open minded enough to also hear some brutal truths and consider another person's perspective. 

Just had a good nap in air-conditioning while avoiding the heat of the day. TIme to go have some therapy with the mower. 

On 11/22/2020 at 3:57 PM, Metal_Head said:

Sorry guys, to be honest, was a bit under the weather & not in the best mood at the time. Ignore it. 👍

Why ignore it ? You actually made a valid comment, all cars can be finessed & improved, the Aurion certainly could be made much better with lots of time & $$ thrown at it. TBH I would love to fine tune the Aurion with tasteful suspension & ECU fine tuning, even had a thought in the last few days about re-upholstering most of the leather facing to Alcantara as in my 86 for a no-slip all-grip feel but it all costs plenty $$$.

Edited by ZZT86

5 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Why ignore it ? You actually made a valid comment, all cars can be finessed & improved, the Aurion certainly could be made much better with lots of time & $$ thrown at it. TBH I would love to fine tune the Aurion with tasteful suspension & ECU fine tuning, even had a thought in the last few days about re-upholstering most of the leather facing to Alcantara as in my 86 for a no-slip all-grip feel but it all costs plenty $$$.

I agree here too. Any car can benefit from modifications, but it's the law of diminishing returns that should have you ask yourself, when is enough, enough ?

If you have the money to burn, I say more power to you, but not for an Aurion. I'd pick something else more exciting, preferably rear wheel drive.