May have a Lift problem on my 05 sportivo help!!!

last week right after i fueled up my car i decided to floor it from 1st and 2nd and when it lift it hit really strong and jerked me back to my seat and at that the time my engine was warmed up.

week later i try to to do the same thing and the lift didnt feel strong like it did the last time. the engine was both warmed up each time i hit lift. is there similar problems that had happend to anyone else before?

i have an 205 corolla sportivo with 179000k's and fully stock

If "Lift" doesn't activate @ about 6000rpm or fails to activate at all fair chance the locating cam bolts have snapped which means you don't get the hydraulic oil activation. Make sure you have a well maintained engine with proper/ontime OCI. Poor oil servicing will also give you poor VVT hydraulic activation.

If lift is engaging but doesn't feel as strong, it could be a variety of different things. Does it still rev all the way 8200? It's worth checking the following:
- Air filter
- MAF (give it a clean with electrical contact cleaner)
- Change the spark plugs
- Do an oil change along with checking the level as mentioned
- Check coolant levels
- Check for any intake and exhaust leaks

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Aside from the 1st gen cars (celica) with the faulty cam bolts, the 2ZZ-GE is generally bombproof if well looked after.

Agreed, the lift bolts were the biggest gremlin but have since being revised 3 times I believe and were never a major problem in Sportivo's. If they do wear down, lift will generally not engage at all but it would be worth checking them if all else fails.

Their only other major flaw is oil starvation in high G corners especially with low oil, since the sump has no baffling it usually puts a lovely hole in the block.

Thanks guys will look into it. I've bought the about a month ago from a dealership from hills motor group dont know if you may saw it on gumtree or Facebook its the that was priced for i think 9grand perhaps. Since then I haven't serviced the car as it hadn't reached the 180k mark but the oil is fine

1 hour ago, A Indian Has a Sportivo said:

Thanks guys will look into it. I've bought the about a month ago from a dealership from hills motor group dont know if you may saw it on gumtree or Facebook its the that was priced for i think 9grand perhaps. Since then I haven't serviced the car as it hadn't reached the 180k mark but the oil is fine

Do you have a full service history for the vehicle? If not, I would assume the worst in that servicing is overdue. I do not know on what basis you are saying that the oil is fine. Bit hard to tell just by looking at the dipstick.

As well as the checks recommended by Squalled, can I suggest that you make sure that the correct oil viscosity is used when the car is serviced.  

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Do you have a full service history for the vehicle? If not, I would assume the worst in that servicing is overdue. I do not know on what basis you are saying that the oil is fine. Bit hard to tell just by looking at the dipstick.

As well as the checks recommended by Squalled, can I suggest that you make sure that the correct oil viscosity is used when the car is serviced.  

I recommend 5W-30 Full Synthetic just to add on, your KMs are fairly average for a Sportivo and 5W-30 is perfect for these engines. I'm almost touching 249000 kms and can still run 5W-30 with minimal oil loss between changes. If you find it burns a fair bit between changes and you need to top it up regularly, it's likely there's something a lot more serious going on.

• Like 2

@A Indian Has a Sportivo  if you purchased from a dealership then you should have gotten the statutory 3 month warranty with that. Get your car checked ASAP & if there's a problem, get them to pay for it. I would insist you find your own trusted/competent mechanic to do repairs if needed.

On 9/23/2020 at 10:31 PM, ZZT86 said:

@A Indian Has a Sportivo  if you purchased from a dealership then you should have gotten the statutory 3 month warranty with that. Get your car checked ASAP & if there's a problem, get them to pay for it. I would insist you find your own trusted/competent mechanic to do repairs if needed.

I've payed for 3 years warranty, wear and tear not included

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 2:20 PM, Squalled said:

I recommend 5W-30 Full Synthetic just to add on, your KMs are fairly average for a Sportivo and 5W-30 is perfect for these engines. I'm almost touching 249000 kms and can still run 5W-30 with minimal oil loss between changes. If you find it burns a fair bit between changes and you need to top it up regularly, it's likely there's something a lot more serious going on.

thanks for ya help hit lift again 2 days ago and did hit very strong again in second gear

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/23/2020 at 7:25 AM, Squalled said:

Their only other major flaw is oil starvation in high G corners especially with low oil, since the sump has no baffling it usually puts a lovely hole in the block.

Nice way of putting it lol.. At least you'd have something for show and tell 😄

19 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Nice way of putting it lol.. At least you'd have something for show and tell 😄

Oh believe me I've seen 2 2ZZ's blow up from the same thing this year alone, it's quite a site to behold 😂