Drivers Window Up/Down Issue - 6/2016 MY16 Aurion

ZZT86

As titled, I have noticed an issue with my drivers master switch/window operation. If I manually open the window slightly down then let go of the switch to go slightly up, the glass automatically reverses & goes half way down on its own. Doesn't always happen but often enough to annoy me.

It seems like the safety mechanism is detecting an obstruction & reversing window direction to avoid damage.

I know there was a switch recall to the previous 40series gen Aurion due to faulty switch lubrication at the factory which supposedly doesn't apply to the 50series Aurion. I have checked with Toyota and there's no recall for these cars.

Has anyone come across this problem on their late model 50 series cars & what was the solution ? Previously recalled cars needed a new master switch and/or relubing using some sort of Fluorine Grease (Toyota supplied) or PFPE grease/lubricant which is supposedly a white 100% synthetic grease.

Any help on this issue would be much appreciated otherwise I may have to pull the door card off to suss out if loose window mechanism causing problem or inspect switch. Last resort is to spend plenty $$ @ Toyota to investigate.

Cheers 😐

Edited by ZZT86

Sounds like the jam protection function is activating sporadically. I've never had any issue with my 2012, but it could be possible either by way of a switch issue or the window isn't operating smoothly. I would open it up and check the slides/regulators for anything abnormal.

The car is still pretty new so I cannot imagine the switch to be faulty , but it wouldn't hurt to bell it out with a multi meter. If the 40 series had switch issues, I'm sure they would've fixed this for the 50.

I suspect you may have something going on in the slides. Check for debris of some kind. If it all checks out, I wonder if it needs re-initializing maybe ??

Have a read of this and this

If you do go into it, can you get some pics for us please ? I've never had the door card off mine.

• Thanks 1

HI ZZ, When they did the recall for faulty switches on our Presara I was told it was a fire issue with the switch causing spontaneous fires, and all they did was either replace the switch or inspect and regrease the switch itself..I have never heard of a window switch issue on the 50 series..so as Tony said I fear you will have to do an inspection as it sounds a weird fault for the window to do that short of an obstruction issue..

Let us know what you discover mate

KAA 

• Thanks 1

I'd pull the switch apart and suss it out. Switches are fiddly but pretty simple. The main problem I've found is contacts arcing out which is fixed by scraping the black soot off them. Another is debri jamming them up. Also bent contacts which can be unbent. 

If u were to pull it apart, just make sure u ring local wreckers first & have a plan b replacement if it goes pear shaped

Edited by Metal_Head
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

The main problem I've found is contacts arcing out which is fixed by scraping the black soot off them. Another is debri jamming them up. Also bent contacts which can be unbent. 

If u were to pull it apart, just make sure u ring local wreckers first & have a plan b replacement if it goes pear shaped

Being an MY16 it's too new to have switch issues as you described, and I know the OP cares greatly for his cars to render any kind of abuse or foreign material entering the switch assembly.

Anything is possible though, but I'm thinking  there's something going on inside the door's window mechanism or the power window motor needs re-initializing.

1 minute ago, Metal_Head said:

Anything is possible. Recently fixed a 2015 hyandai i30 (40,000km) window that was playing up..... Contacts were black, & they looked a little out of shape which I suspect caused them to arc out. Cleaned them up, made a couple adjustments & happy days

To be honest Adam, I've never heard of switch issues on a 50 series Aurion. Even the 40 series until they issued the recall. Not sure of the quality of Hyundai switches compared to Toyota so it would be apples with oranges at this stage.

Looking forward to seeing the outcome though.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Newer switches are an enclosed type that protect against debri, was a bit daunting at first but easy done. My old au falcon was an open type switch that had a ridiculous amount of crap in there. Every few months I had a new switch to clean. Off topic, hyundai stepped up their game over the years Tony.... This I30 looks small on the outside, feels like a large sedan in the front seats, 6spd auto feels more intelligent than in my aurion & handles better to be honest, superb on fuel, zippy around town. I would absolutely consider the turbo model if I had the cash

Edited by Metal_Head
  • Like 1

Thanks for the recent posts/suggestions guys. Tony, I have already reset up/down limits on the glass as per Toyota Service Manual. Might have another look at it as they are a complicated sucker with CANBUS yada yada, gone are the days of easy simple servicing, you need a computer to talk to computers to talk to humans it seems 😐

My man @ Toyota told me no faults with 50series cars, rock solid & no recalls or TSB especially for glass. My car was virtually spotless when I bought it late last year with 28.5K kms (reason why I pounced on it) so I'm a little surprised to notice this issue tbh.

The switch is my first go to likelihood cause of fault (pita to check), window is also rotating slightly forward/back as it's going up/down which also prompted me to look at the glass fixture as I've seen loose glass on my dads ACV36 Sportivo do stupid stuff. I will have a look at it one nice sunny day & see what the go is.

We all know that Toyota usually over-engineer their cars & engines which makes them bombproof, satisfying to drive and own but I will have to agree with Adam on the Hyundai/Kia smartening up their act comment. I drove a Cerato hatch a while ago & I was pleasantly surprised at the brilliant suspension setup (done locally), great brakes, half descent interior given base model, very good/smooth torque converter 6sp ATM mated to a simple & basic 2L/4pot engine. Apart from a harsh under engineered engine, it was a satisfying, quiet, smooth, solid & refined car worthy of consideration. Kias 7 years warranty appears the icing on the cake. Having said all that, I love my Aurion 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

window is also rotating slightly forward/back as it's going up/down which also prompted me to look at the glass fixture as I've seen loose glass on my dads ACV36 Sportivo do stupid stuff.

I reckon that's where the root cause is. Perhaps the regulator is loose or something like that.

• Thanks 1

Easy way to check for loose glass would be to have the window half open then try to jiggle it a bit.

Certainly have to agree that Hyundai/Kia have come a long way since their earlier years when there were a lot of quality issues and warranty claims.

However, Toyota has the edge in my opinion because they continue to embrace TQM [Total Quality Management].

I learnt the hard lessons many years ago to appreciate a quality reliable vehicle.

In the meantime, I have got 2 Aurions to wear out before me and my driver's license gets to the non-renewal stage.

• Like 1

Yep it's loose ! Will have to check one day when we start to defrost down here :|

I can remember Hyundais Excel dropping front wheels due to poor suspension tower/body welds, needless to say there was a safety recall out for those. Toyota is far more advanced in design & engineering, they have little to fear from the HMC in the short term.

8 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Yep it's loose ! Will have to check one day when we start to defrost down here 😐

I can remember Hyundais Excel dropping front wheels due to poor suspension tower/body welds, needless to say there was a safety recall out for those. Toyota is far more advanced in design & engineering, they have little to fear from the HMC in the short term.

The glass may be loose in the holding channel because the holding rubber needs to be reseated. Nothing like a bit of silicone spray to help the reassembly process.

If you end up needing some thin rubber, I would consider using a bicycle tube as a quick fix.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1