Optimum No Rinse - aka ONR

Tony Prodigy

Hey Gents,

I finally got my hands on this stuff. It's been pretty difficult to get due to it's huge popularity across the world. It is a product everybody should have if they love their cars.

A very versatile product that not only is used as a water-less wash, but also as a clay lube and a detail spray. I can go on and on about this but if you have the time I'd recommend watching THIS and then THIS which will help explain everything about this amazing product.

20200921_160026.jpg

20200921_160057.jpg

Funny thing Tony I was watching a few Youtube Videos last night..Pan The Organizer is one of my favourites as he always provides excellent tutorials..I had watched one a while back on OPTIMUM Car Care Products..and yes looks amazing stuff..I am not sure price wise how it stacks up but as you now have that one maybe a video or some pic's of how you found it would be worthwhile..your the man when it comes to products so will take your word for it when it comes to a finish it provides, but anything that saves a full wash I would think would be awesome

Keep Safe Mate and Thanks for the video links

KAA

Hi Robert.  Yes, Pan is a great guy and I trust his judgment. I've been trying to get some of this stuff for around 12 months and was able to get some through Amazon U.S.

Optimum products have been highly rated for years and I've been hoping to try ONR for ages. 

Everyone who knows me knows I love to get the gear out and go to town on my cars, but some weekends I have no time for the whole production and just need the car looking clean as quickly and efficiently as possible. ONR is just the right product for that and no fear of inducing scratches either. The technology that's gone into this product makes it very unique. 

There's plenty of literature about Optimum products online if any is interested. 

I'll definitely report back my results when possible my friends.

Cheers 👍

• Thanks 1

I know Optimum for it's ceramic coating & I've heard of ONR but seriously it's not a product I would ever consider using on a dirty, muddy car. Note how slow, time consuming & careful Mr Forensic was using it & if he misses a spot he risks dragging that dirt all over the clearcoat potentially scratching it. And despite using one for years as part of a 2 bucket system for washing, I'm not convinced 100% of the dirt drops into & stays below the grit guard, it's bound to be swashed around the bucket as you dip the wash mitt into to it as you rinse several times before the next pass on your paint.

I guess there's always a risk of contamination no matter what you do & nothing's a perfect system. Perhaps OK if you're out in the middle of the dessert & desperate to wash your car otherwise ONR might be best left to quick detailing for me 😐

Keen to hear of your findings Tony 😉

Edited by ZZT86

5 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

I would ever consider using on a dirty, muddy car.

It wasn't designed for this actually. It's more or less something you can use during a maintenance wash, providing you have a sealant in place and the car has that week old layer of dust/dirt and the obligatory grains of bird poo 😄

I will always advocate for a pre soak, suds on car and pressure wash to get into all the nooks and crannies, but this stuff is the lesser of the two evils when it comes to a standard wash with the bonus of the added polymers.

5 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

I'm not convinced 100% of the dirt drops into & stays below the grit guard, it's bound to be swashed around the bucket as you dip the wash mitt into to it as you rinse several times before the next pass on your paint.

The proprietary formula actually releases the dirt particles so they don't remain suspended in the water. The won't say what it is but it's a certain kind of polymer technology that once you rinse the sponge/cloth in the bucket, the dirt particles will actually sink to the bottom of the bucket below the grit guard and remain there.

You can even drop a capful in your regular wash bucket to enable this very action because normal car wash soap doesn't allow this.

5 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

I guess there's always a risk of contamination no matter what you do & nothing's a perfect system.

True true, and it's all about what's in the product and your chosen methods that helps mitigate the risk.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

The proprietary formula actually releases the dirt particles so they don't remain suspended in the water. The won't say what it is but it's a certain kind of polymer technology that once you rinse the sponge/cloth in the bucket, the dirt particles will actually sink to the bottom of the bucket below the grit guard and remain there.

You can even drop a capful in your regular wash bucket to enable this very action because normal car wash soap doesn't allow this.

Oh, so there's a science to it ? Well bugger me, I may have to study this in more detail to see if it actually works by adding that capful & by watching what's going on in the bucket as I rinse. Interesting. 👍

Please keep us posted ;)

5 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Oh, so there's a science to it ? Well bugger me,

Here's a couple of videos you may find interesting. The first video is a random guy and the second is brought to you by The Rag Company with their special guest Yvan Lacroix from Optimum who explain all the benefits of having this product in your wash kit.

• Thanks 1

I've been down with the flu over the last few days so I haven't been able to do much detailing. 

I did, however, come across another Fantastic video on the subject of rinseless / waterless wash products which I thought everyone would appreciate.

Here's the latest video from The Forensic Detailing Channel where Jon puts several products to the test including ONR.

He explains everything very well in my opinion.