K & N Air Filter

Tony Prodigy

I have one of these on the way, hopefully receive it next week some time.

I also didn't realise that the 40 and 50 series air filters are different too. Lucky I checked before purchase.

K&N for 2006 to 2011 P/N 33-2355

K&N for 2012 to 2017 P/N 33-2443

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Why did you go for one of these ?

I always had K & N filters on my motorcycles and found they breath better than the standard filter and thought why not for the car as I haven't tried one before. In terms of the bikes, the filters that come with these were quite woeful. All they had was a sponge media sandwiched between two fine mesh screens. The K&N had more surface area due to it's pleated design. I also like the fact that it is re usable as it can be washed over and over again. It's of high quality construction too.

I recently saw this video and it tweaked my interest a little more. I figured that each time I have to replace the air cleaner, its costing between $40 and $50 and the K&N is only a little more than this and is pretty much a lifetime item with a little maintenance.

• Thanks 1

The K+N product will no doubt allow you to hear more of that lovely 2GR induction noise as well as obtain a little more omph but at the cost of filtration imo.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

The K+N product will no doubt allow you to hear more of that lovely 2GR induction noise as well as obtain a little more omph but at the cost of filtration imo.

To be honest, any power gain claims is negligible and I really could care less about that. The 2GR-FE has plenty enough anyway. It was more for the filtration and the longevity that was what influenced my decision. 

So you think it's doesn't filter all that well ? I haven't read anywhere that this would or could be the case. Have you come across any info about this ? 

• Like 1

Some years ago I thought about shoving a K+N filter in the engine of my notoriously dusty by design 86 engine bay to save $$ until I came across a technical paper which proved that the higher airflow & slight increase in HP was at the cost of less filtration, ie: more silicone (abrasive dust/dirt) which is exactly was I was trying to avoid. Thanks to Subaru the 86 engine bay gets real dusty quick compared to my previous celicas.

The issue became apparent during then routine & regular UOA testing as it was flagged excessive & I knew for a fact that it had nothing to do with the oils additives pack (I have a VOA) which has a small amount of silicone in it. After 5K kms that climbed to 10 times that ! I put it down to average filter box design (Subaru again) & started changing out the oem air filter twice as often.

Unfortunately airhead me didn't bookmark this rersearch, but it makes sense as K+N filters are designed for more power/airflow, not filtration. Add to that the oil will eventually coat the intake & MAF sensor also just to make your day.

Here's something I just came across

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

If you want that 2GR to last a long time then I personally wouldn't use an aftermarket engine hipo filter, stick to oem = best filtration.

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

Some years ago I thought about shoving a K+N filter in the engine of my notoriously dusty by design 86 engine bay to save $$ until I came across a technical paper which proved that the higher airflow & slight increase in HP was at the cost of less filtration, ie: more silicone (abrasive dust/dirt) which is exactly was I was trying to avoid. Thanks to Subaru the 86 engine bay gets real dusty quick compared to my previous celicas.

The issue became apparent during then routine & regular UOA testing as it was flagged excessive & I knew for a fact that it had nothing to do with the oils additives pack (I have a VOA) which has a small amount of silicone in it. After 5K kms that climbed to 10 times that ! I put it down to average filter box design (Subaru again) & started changing out the oem air filter twice as often.

Unfortunately airhead me didn't bookmark this rersearch, but it makes sense as K+N filters are designed for more power/airflow, not filtration. Add to that the oil will eventually coat the intake & MAF sensor also just to make your day.

Here's something I just came across

https://www.nicoclub.com/archives/kn-vs-oem-filter.html

If you want that 2GR to last a long time then I personally wouldn't use an aftermarket engine hipo filter, stick to oem = best filtration.

I should change the title of my thread to "K&N Filter- Yes or no ?" Looks like I messed up on this one. I was always under the impression these were decent filters. I had a good read of that info and it looks like it's a terrible bit of kit. Too late to cancel my order though. I'll probably just re sell it or just keep it as a monument of my stupidity lol.

It looks like the AC Delco filter is a supreme item and after doing some searching I managed to find a supplier in the South of Sydney who actually has them. I have ordered 5 to keep in stock as I am now servicing my Dad's Aurion too.

Thanks G :thumbsup:

• Like 1

The K+N product is good, just not in filtration compared to stock. If you want outright HP for the track then it's OK but obviously at the cost of accelerated engine wear unless you're constantly cleaning the filter, then there's the oil that will eventually coat the intake & MAF.

The AC Delco in that test could be taken as OEM.

Maybe there are others here who track their cars or people with some experience re these filters who could chime in ?

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1

Mate throw the kn filter in, ur aurion will be fine as long as u don't go crazy with over oiling it. 

I've personally never had any issues with them, but have found the pod filters work a lot better but only when used in conjuction with a custom intake & colder air placement

17 minutes ago, Metal_Head said:

Mate throw the kn filter in, ur aurion will be fine as long as u don't go crazy with over oiling it. 

Thank you Adam. I will wait and see what it looks like when it arrives and make a decision then. In the meantime I have stocked up with acdelco air filters so I'll be good in the air filter depts for several years it seems.

Cheers :thumbsup:

Saw this thread that inspired me to do some research on filters...then intakes... Seems like the K&N typhoon was quite popular for the Aurion but very pricey for a bit of pipe and a filter ($500-600!), so I bought one of these el-cheapo eBay universal intakes... Wish me luck 😄 Only really doing it for noise (which makes it feel faster, right?!) May switch out the filter to something nicer though.

Could've gone for the shorter style intakes, but this gives me a lot more options with the extra piping (not planning for a cold-air install). 

8 minutes ago, donnot said:

Saw this thread that inspired me to do some research on filters...then intakes... Seems like the K&N typhoon was quite popular for the Aurion but very pricey for a bit of pipe and a filter ($500-600!), so I bought one of these el-cheapo eBay universal intakes... Wish me luck 😄 Only really doing it for noise (which makes it feel faster, right?!) May switch out the filter to something nicer though.

Could've gone for the shorter style intakes, but this gives me a lot more options with the extra piping (not planning for a cold-air install). 

Nice one Luke and damn that's very cheap. Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but where will the MAF sensor go ? Does it have a provision for it somewhere ?

24 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Nice one Luke and damn that's very cheap. Pardon my ignorance on this subject, but where will the MAF sensor go ? Does it have a provision for it somewhere ?

It doesn't seem to have a proper housing/mounting port (other than the couple of holes), so I may do some dodgy metalwork or just buy a piece of pipe with an adapter 😄. Was a bit of a buy now, think later purchase in all honesty. Can't really complain at the price. 

Edited by donnot

23 minutes ago, donnot said:

It doesn't seem to have a proper housing/mounting port (other than the couple of holes), so I may do some dodgy metalwork or just buy a piece of pipe with an adapter 😄. Was a bit of a buy now, think later purchase in all honesty. Can't really complain at the price. 

I'm sure you'll figure it out. Can't argue with the price either. You couldn't make one cheaper than that to be honest.

Post up some pics when it's done. We'd love to see it. :thumbsup:

4 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

From what I've read u will need to keep same spec diameter tubing around the maf to keep the tune in spec. 

Yeah, will definitely need to step it down before it hits the maf sensor :/. EDIT: Maybe not

Does anyone know the actual diameter (outer and inner) of the tubing around the MAF (I can't find specs)...might have to measure. I don't think it'll be significantly different to the 3" piping. EDIT: I believe it's 3.5" from the throttle body.

Edited by donnot

Thanks Tony..Yes does look a well constructed filter assembly..will be interested what you think of it when fitted and running..balance that with the fact you can reuse it..saves a lot of Dollars..also be interested to hear your review of the filtration side as well as any noticeable increase in sound levels

KAA

KAA

47 minutes ago, KAA said:

Thanks Tony..Yes does look a well constructed filter assembly..will be interested what you think of it when fitted and running..balance that with the fact you can reuse it..saves a lot of Dollars..also be interested to hear your review of the filtration side as well as any noticeable increase in sound levels

KAA

KAA

Still not sure if i'm going to use to be honest Robert. I may try it out just for the hell of it and probably just keep going with the OEM style cartridge.

Probably a good idea Tony, at least see what you find by fitting & maybe a short run just to feel if there is any noticeable difference in performance Etc..Personally I only use OEM filters and I am reluctant to change and have 2 air filters and cabin filters still stored away..if it works don't stuff it up by changing things my Dad used to tell me so that is what I have always done..

Still would be interested on what you report mate

Keep Safe

KAA

• 2 weeks later...

Since my recent K&N filter purchase and the somewhat negative reviews I been reading, I decided to seek out some OEM filters and managed to get a pretty good deal on Wesfil and AcDelco Air filters. I bulk purchased so I could lock in a better price and overall I am pretty satisfied with my this lot. Won't have to worry about Air Filters for a while.

The AcDelco type have a two beads of glue running along the pleats, something I haven't noticed this before. Interesting though the Aurion Air Filters are also used in some GM cars.

20201031_065817.jpg

20201031_065825.jpg

20201031_065836.jpg

20201031_065900.jpg

20201031_065953.jpg

20201031_070517.jpg

20201031_070531.jpg

• 4 months later...

Before and after pics of K&N Cold air intake fitted to my 2014 ZR6.

Definitely worth the money. Sounds the same until you put your foot down then it sounds awesome with noticeable hp gain. Approximately 7hp is claimed by the supplier.

Easy to install by watching YouTube video.

20200811_141052.jpg

20200811_141036.jpg

20200811_111328.jpg

20200811_111317.jpg

Edited by Sebzeneo
Missing info
  • Thanks 2

• 3 weeks later...