Reconsider Replacing Transmission Filter

Following YouTube video makes a number of valid points about whether you really need to replace a low pressure transmission filter. Transmission filters are different to oil filters. In his opinion, generally it is better to be doing regular changes of the ATF. 

• Thanks 1

I'm used to auto transmissions of '80s and '90s, where trans filters are definately to be replaed. repairvehicle's youtube on modern transmissions does have merit. So hard to know. If I had a new car with this type of filter then in my servicing wants, I'd replace it. If I bought one with 150k on it I might not, but do regular fluid changes using the 3 flush change method to get the old oil out of the torque converter. 

Some car makers are known for extolling less service periods that impress new buyers who will trade in before damage (if any) to the vehicle.

1 hour ago, Hello Newman said:

I'm used to auto transmissions of '80s and '90s, where trans filters are definately to be replaed. repairvehicle's youtube on modern transmissions does have merit. So hard to know. If I had a new car with this type of filter then in my servicing wants, I'd replace it. If I bought one with 150k on it I might not, but do regular fluid changes using the 3 flush change method to get the old oil out of the torque converter. 

Some car makers are known for extolling less service periods that impress new buyers who will trade in before damage (if any) to the vehicle.

If it is in the manufacturer's maintenance schedule for that particular vehicle, then definitely replace the transmission filter.

The issue is more the recent trend towards sealed for life transmissions. Reduced or minimised servicing now is going to raise the potential for expensive repairs down the track..

The video presenter is making the point that costly repairs if something goes wrong such as a broken bolt can be avoided by not doing an unnecessary replacement of the filter.

Good workaround is to perform regular changes of the ATF which is good preventative maintenance..  

• Like 1

What does he think of CVT's ? 🤣

This bloke is a little contradictory, hard to take him seriously.

I'm of the opinion that anything heavy on the magnet won't get drained or flushed when you dump the fluid like he sais, it should stay on the magnet hence their use. Other soft/light contaminants will be suspended in the oil & that will get dumped. Obviously regular oil changes will keep the whole enchilada clean, anything major will be stuck them magnets or in the filter, one would hope. If you have a major ooppsy with your tranny because you been trashing it then that's a different story.

And to be honest I'd be pretty happy with not dropping the pan & changing filter, easy, just dump the fluid a few times or flush/refill then check level.

Now I've got about 6 months to decide whether or not I should get a ATM filter kit 😐 Most of me reckons I'd be wasting my time & $$ . . . . Ash ?

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1

Actually, I rather liked that he was somewhat contradictory. I was thinking that he was taking into consideration that all transmissions are not the same particularly as design and specifications have been changing over the years.

I am thinking that what determines the amount and type of servicing is going to be the driving conditions and that specific transmission model and design.

Because you drive your Aurion like Grandpa [so you say] i.e. drive sedately, owned the vehicle since new and less than 60K on the odometer, I think that there would be little benefit from dropping the pan and changing the filter. Saying this because my project 2008/9 Aurion [used family vehicle mostly driven by the 1st owners wife] with 109K had little build up on the transmission pan mostly around the magnets. I just visually checked the filter then refitted it before doing a full flush of the transmission.

Different matter 5 years ago when I bought my used 2006 Aurion with 165K on the odometer. When I dropped the pan, there was a significant amount of sediment all over the bottom of the pan and I did replace the filter. I did buy extra filters at that time. After viewing that video, I am planning upon changing the filter next year and then opening up the replaced filter. Not really expecting to find any metal particles. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

What does he think of CVT's ?

I clearly heard the word "Garbage" :laugh:

I have to agree with him on that. I once had the misfortune of driving a courtesy car after my wife's 98 Corolla was written off and I think it was a ZRE182R( the start of that newer pointy nose shape, and it was the weirdest experience. It just felt like it was winding up an elastic band with that stupid whiny noise. I was turned off Corollas after this. This was when I was already looking to buy an Aurion and as you all know, the rest is history.

• Like 1

I think I understand where he's coming from. I would definitely replace the filter on it's very first service because it will most likely have contamination picked up from it's very early life that the magnets may not have picked up. I would also think that after that initial service, with new filter, the following servicing would entail only regular fluid changes as the filter wouldn't have any further contamination given the transmission doesn't lunch itself.

He's saying that changing the filter is more or less risky because you may snap a bolt removing it. I've never heard a bolt snap on any sump or filter, has anyone else ?? I'm sure they are torqued on correctly to avoid heavy leverage. Why would they need to be all that tight anyway ? I wonder if there is a torque spec for the filter bolts. I'm sure there is for the sump bolts.

My car has over 120k on it now and still on it's original fill. I will most definitely be replacing the filter. I may even cut it open and inspect it  out of curiosity.

Edited by Tony Prodigy
  • Like 1

Yep although un-necessary & for peace of mind I might change the filter when it's due, I'll grab a couple Ryco kits when they're on special. I'll also get the 20L drum early-mid next year due to flushing.

My sis recently was given the opportunity to drive the latest RAV GLX which had the CVT, I test drove it & thought garbage tranny exactly as Tony explains.

My experience with bolts on Toyota's is they come off easy, that includes ATM pans & filters. Sump torque on Aurion is about 7.5Nm=5.5ftlbs, strainer slightly more which is bugger all.

Edited by ZZT86
  • Like 1