Approach Angle

10 hours ago, Mick2222 said:

I need to know the following, for my 2010 Corolla Ultima:

Approach Angle
Departure Angle

Mick

Not exactly sure whether you are referring to apexing the corner as demonstrated in this video

or perhaps cornering techniques as demonstrated in the embedded video of this link

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/4-things-you-should-never-do-in-a-front-wheel-drive-car/

I'd say more likely the OP is asking about approach/departure angles in the ground clearance sense (ie how steep a ramp can you hit before bottoming out)

9 hours ago, Hiro said:

I'd say more likely the OP is asking about approach/departure angles in the ground clearance sense (ie how steep a ramp can you hit before bottoming out)

That’s correct, Hiro.

The centre of the front bumper strikes our street, when driving (very slowly) down the ramp, out of our house.

I need to know the angles for comparison purposes, when buying a new car.

Mick

You will need to do some measurements of the ground clearance and the distance of your wheel to the bumper. Then input your figures into this calculator.

https://www.calculator.net/right-triangle-calculator.html?av=6&alphav=&alphaunit=d&bv=28&betav=&betaunit=d&cv=&hv=&areav=&perimeterv=&x=75&y=17 

10 hours ago, campbeam said:

You will need to do some measurements of the ground clearance and the distance of your wheel to the bumper. Then input your figures into this calculator.

https://www.calculator.net/right-triangle-calculator.html?av=6&alphav=&alphaunit=d&bv=28&betav=&betaunit=d&cv=&hv=&areav=&perimeterv=&x=75&y=17 

Thanks Campbeam, that will work a treat.

That is sooo simple...

Mick

Edited by Mick2222

12 hours ago, campbeam said:

Ahh Pythagorean Theorem lol. Takes me back to high school Ash. I haven't heard words like Hypotenuse in over 30 years 😂 

11 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Ahh Pythagorean Theorem lol. Takes me back to high school Ash. I haven't heard words like Hypotenuse in over 30 years 😂 

This post did have me thinking again about my High School maths. Certainly have not used any algebra and forgotten all of the formulas that we had to memorise.

My Dad was a builder and he always said that the perfect pitch of a roof was 33.33 degrees. Now that approach angle would have you going over the handlebars of your push bike.

9 hours ago, campbeam said:

This post did have me thinking again about my High School maths. Certainly have not used any algebra and forgotten all of the formulas that we had to memorise.

My Dad was a builder and he always said that the perfect pitch of a roof was 33.33 degrees. Now that approach angle would have you going over the handlebars of your push bike.

I used to be great at Maths, was in the advanced class (not bragging either 😀) and I remember all those crazy formulas we had to memorise. If I had to do it all now, I'd be a dismal failure. 

33.33 degrees for the roof and some of the streets in my area were that and some. We rocketed around like crazy on our BMX bikes. Ahh, the good old days.. ( I Still have my childhood BMX, going to be fully restored too)

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

We rocketed around like crazy on our BMX bikes. Ahh, the good old days..

When we got old enough, we upgraded to cars and here we are.

This is another online calculator which I use often for tyre size comparisons even though I am staying with the stock original size tyres.

https://tiresize.com/calculator/