My Transmission Service

Hi guys, wow that was great work with the transmission service..Im wondering..

I got my mechanic to service mine just after purchasing, it had 71,000 on the odd.. 

How often should this be done ?

Cheers..

Mike

6 minutes ago, Bigmike62 said:

Hi guys, wow that was great work with the transmission service..Im wondering..

I got my mechanic to service mine just after purchasing, it had 71,000 on the odd.. 

Cheers..

Mike

Thanks Big Mike. Nothing wrong with doing the service at 70k, in fact I've heard some say to do it even earlier. I probably should've done mine a bit earlier but as you read in my report, it wasn't in bad condition so just goes to show that the transmission can go unserviced outside of the usual schedule if the car hasn't been flogged. 

I can't recall what the schedule is off the top of my head, but I think it's like every 40K after the initial service. Some who have only done the pan drain will do an annual pan drain, but because I did a full flush, the next service will be a pan drain.

• Thanks 1
14 minutes ago, Bigmike62 said:

I posted the maintenance service interval on October 18 of this thread. 

Also have a look at Page 8 of the following thread. 

• Thanks 1

Hi guys, I performed a filter change and fluid flush after doing a series of drain and fills starting at 186k (now at 187k) using Penrite ATF LV. During the first test drive after the flush and filter change, the car wouldn't shift out of first and was jerking back and forth. Honestly, a terrifying experience when pulling out into traffic. I thought I'd let everyone know that an ecu reset by disconnecting the battery overnight has fixed the issue and the car is now shifting like a dream. Torque converter shudder seems to have disappeared as well. :thumbsup:

5 hours ago, domej said:

Hi guys, I performed a filter change and fluid flush after doing a series of drain and fills starting at 186k (now at 187k) using Penrite ATF LV. During the first test drive after the flush and filter change, the car wouldn't shift out of first and was jerking back and forth.

Hi Dominic, strange that you'd report such a thing because a simple fluid change shouldn't upset the transmission in the manner you described unless you haven't followed the procedure correctly. Glad though to hear that resetting the ECU has normalised it but I have to ask why this occurred in the first place.

Did you have the vehicle up and levelled and did you follow the fluid adjustment procedure to the T ?

A series of pan drains isn't really considered a 'flush' as such. If you followed my procedure, it would've taken you less time and you would've done a proper flush.

Hi Tony, looks like I haven't expressed myself clearly. My car, bought used, had no sign of any transmission service ever being performed. When I drained the fluid, it was quite literally black. I didn't want to do a full flush immediately to avoid "shocking" the old clutch material or mixing up large chunks of sludge. The transmission seemed happy with the increasing amounts of Penrite ATF LV so I did follow yours (and others posted) procedure and did a proper full flush. Thats when the transmission acted funny. I'd assume I followed the procedure properly because the transmission is working perfectly after disconnecting the battery.

4 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

after doing a series of drain and fills starting at 186k (now at 187k)

That's a heck a long time without a service I must say. 

17 minutes ago, domej said:

When I drained the fluid, it was quite literally black. I didn't want to do a full flush immediately to avoid "shocking" the old clutch material or mixing up large chunks of sludge.

Looks like it's had a hard life if the fluid was black. Black is quite literally the fluid being over cooked from hard use and good for you doing the service. You may have just saved it from premature failure. 

It was probably the transition from old fluid to new which made it act up. Sometimes a transmission will work better with the old fluid in it because of the friction material deposited into the fluid which helps keep the clutches from slipping. But that case would be terminal anyway if it's got to that point. 

I'd give it 6 months or so and then do a pan drain to see how the fluid looks and also check the magnets for any deposits. You may have caught it in time.

Highly recommend that you consider removing the transmission pan ASAP.

I am expecting that there will be a significant amount of build up on the bottom of the pan which has to be physically cleaned off. My Aurion with 165K on the odometer 5 years ago had enough build up that you could write in it. 

6 hours ago, domej said:

Certainly did, that's how I changed the filter. There was minimal sludge (if any) but the magnets had some fuzz on them but no large chunks of metal.

A bit rushed before. Now that I have taken the time to better look and comprehend, you have done everything to get the transmission working perfectly for you.

For myself, I am planning upon doing a fluid level check then think about when I should do the next transmission pan drain.

Just came across this recently released YouTube video from our good mate John about servicing automatic transmissions. Certainly got me thinking about how much the ATF temperature could be spiking while I am doing a fast and furious overtaking in contrast to a more measured overtaking maneuver. Hopefully offset by the amount of heat dissipation until the next overtaking maneuver. 

• Thanks 1

John Cadogan explains it so simply. The hide of the marketers to claim we have a lifetime transmission. This should be called out for the fraud that it is. They have no idea how the car is going to be driven to make such a ridiculous claim.

I'm glad I did mine despite it having had an easy life, but for those who have a heavy foot i would definitely recommend having your tranny serviced regularly, especially if you're towing.

The additional transmission cooler is also a great idea, even for cars driven normally. The better you can reject the heat from the fluid the better its integrity and longevity.

• Like 2

Following URL is worth reading particularly from the "Lifetime Fluids" section onwards. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_transmission_fluid 

The other issue is how vehicle manufacturer's describe/define Normal Driving vs Severe Driving. What consumers would regard as normal daily driving often falls into the severe driving condition. Driving in peak hour traffic where the freeway can be a crawl is not my daily commute to work. 

Additional transmission cooler has been on the 'to do' list for a few years. Case is building to actually do it before the next road trip.

• Like 1