Tyres for your Aurion

Tony Prodigy

Hey Gents,

I am currently exploring tyre options and was hoping to get some real world opinions from anyone based on their experiences with different brands.

Things like: Quality, ride and comfort, handling, wet weather performance and value for money.

Some of you may know, I'm currently on the Michelin Primacy LC and was thinking of trying something different. 

Here's the thing with tyres. I think they're all a much of a muchness and although some may have slightly better characteristics than others, generally all tyres when they're new will be nice and quiet and ride nicely. The true test is when you put some serious Kays on them and then revisit the original reviews some people make. 

My Primacy's seem to go to around 30k before needing replacing, especially the front tyres. The Aurion will always chew four fronts for every two rear and those who claim their tyres are lasting 50k and more, I'd hate to hear what they sound like, not to mention how they grip and handle too. Some have even reported dry rot after 4 years for these "long life" tyres. Not good..

You also have to make sure your tyre suppliers give you a fresh manufacture date batch rather than some that are old stock from two years ago, quietly pushing through to the unsuspecting customer.

Knowledge is King in a dog eat dog world.

If you see a super special for tyres, be aware that they may have an old date of manufacture and the shonks are trying to flog them off to the mug public.

• Like 1

Seen dozens of road tests, & most of them the Michelin pilot 4's perform beautifully. I just don't have the budget for them. 

Recently fitted a pair of kuhmo ecsta ps71 on the front, & there's a noticeable increase in traction over my previous Hankook & the Bridgestones before that. It does come at the price of increased Tyre noise, but nothing too bad

I fitted 4 x DUNLOP SP SPORT FM800 last year.

Grip has been good and noticeably quieter than the Bridgestone’s.

Bang for the buck at $800 for the set fitted, balanced and alignment.

1 hour ago, VirgilC said:

I fitted 4 x DUNLOP SP SPORT FM800 last year.

Grip has been good and noticeably quieter than the Bridgestone’s.

Bang for the buck at $800 for the set fitted, balanced and alignment.

Thanks Virgil. How's the front wear on the tyres been ?. Do you find the edges wearing quicker than the rest of it ?

I'll take a look at the Dunlops too.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Unfortunately at this time Bridgestone don't have the 4 for 3 offering for the Serenity Plus where I am. I'm also sure this would be nationwide too. I suspect it's due to it's popularity. Why would they discount a hot seller ?? Time to gouge the customer even more...

They have 4 for 3 for the Potenza Adrenalin RE003. Not sure if I want a tyre like that. I suspect it's a soft compound and will wear quickly. What do you reckon ?? 

They alternate between the Potenza/Turanza series with 4 for 3. I considered the RE003's, but they weren't on sale at the time and I was worried about the extra noise/reduced lifespan (did a lot of research 😄). I do wonder how it would've turned out with the Potenza's though 😞. Bridgestone has a 30-day return/exchange policy, but it'd be a bit of a PITA. 

Copied and pasted from Suspension Upgrade Thread.

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

I suspect they are pushing the Potenza due to lazy sales perhaps. The Turanza'a seem to be flying off the shelves. My local Bridgestone Select has zero stock at the moment. The research continues though. Choosing the right tyre is difficult because all tyres are excellent when they're new right ? It's only when they have 10-20 kays on them you really see their true colours.

I think that all tyres regardless of brand and make up will become noisier too as they harden up. Even the softer compound tyres. Tyres go through torture and it doesn't surprise me at all the level of degradation. 

You really want to avoid those directional tyres as opposed to the more symmetrical design, because they will groan a whole lot more when they start feathering those directional blocks, I know from experience. Horrid things they are.

• Thanks 1

I agree Tony..it is only when you have done some serious Klm's on tyres that you find out how they are for not only quietness but also retaining grip and handling, so far my Michelin Primacy LC's seem to be holding up well but they have not done even close to 20,000 Klm's..so I will be continuing to rotate the wheels and keeping an eye on the fronts for wear and tear..Tyres always throw up personal preferences and personal accounts of good and bad..in the end I always do a good review read when choosing tyres..these Primacy's have really been good so they will always get a look in on the next tyre choice list..yes they cost more but I put that to one side when it is all between myself, (my love, and any in my car) from the road they get top priority

KAA

Been reading reviews about the Michelin Pilot Sport 4 tyres and on the most part the consensus seems like they are a fantastic tyre. My biggest concern is road noise. It was claimed that the previous edition, the Pilot Sport 3, although an excellent performance tyre, did suffer from road noise which turned a lot of people off. It is now claimed that Michelin has heard the cry of the people and somehow performed some witchcraft on these new PS 4 tyres. It is claimed that these tyres are very grippy in wet and dry, provide better steering response, ride nicely over co**** asphalt and most of all, they perform quietly. 

There were also some who didn't like them for example, which also begs the question, the condition of their suspension, steering, wheel/tyre combo, make of car etc.

There are way too many variables to just say, yes, this tyre is "the best" tyre, because it may be excellent on one car and not so on another. If, however, the overwhelming majority are saying the same thing, then it can't be a coincidence either.

I'm placing the Michelin Pilot Sport at the top of my list so far.

I'll try and read a few more reviews of a few other brands suggested here earlier.  

11 minutes ago, KAA said:

I agree Tony..it is only when you have done some serious Klm's on tyres that you find out how they are for not only quietness but also retaining grip and handling, so far my Michelin Primacy LC's seem to be holding up well but they have not done even close to 20,000 Klm's..so I will be continuing to rotate the wheels and keeping an eye on the fronts for wear and tear..Tyres always throw up personal preferences and personal accounts of good and bad..in the end I always do a good review read when choosing tyres..these Primacy's have really been good so they will always get a look in on the next tyre choice list..yes they cost more but I put that to one side when it is all between myself, (my love, and any in my car) from the road they get top priority

KAA

Good advice Robert. If you're gonna be into it for roughly 6-700, you may as well pay a little bit more for the more superior product. In this case, if I end up going for the Pilot Sport 4 it will be close to $900 I think fitted and wheel alignment for all four corners.

When you rotate your tyres, do you rotate the spare wheel in or do you just swap the fronts to the back like me ?

The reason I don't rotate the spare wheel in is because it has a different tyre. I don't want to mix tyres, both for the safety aspect and cosmetic aspect too. It would look dodgy having a Michelin on one side and a Bridgestone on the other lol...

I just prefer to keep it as "the spare". It will get you home in an emergency situation and to tend to the puncture. 

I purchased a puncture repair kit too some time back and I've already had to use it once. That tyre is on the back and it's held extremely well for many months now. Saves what $50 for a puncture repair at the tyre place ? Either way, I don't have to drive there, sit and wait for what seems like an eternity and then get charged for the privilege. No thanks. I can just take my time and do it at home. It's very easy too.

Damn. I should've done a report when I had the chance.. Oh well. Maybe next time :biggrin:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, KAA said:

so far my Michelin Primacy LC's seem to be holding up well but they have not done even close to 20,000 Klm's..so I will be continuing to rotate the wheels and keeping an eye on the fronts for wear and tear..

I think they've stopped making the Primacy LC too and replaced with the Primacy 3 ST. I don't see the LC advertised as much as it used to be. Maybe they're still trying to clear whatever remaining stock there is. I'll have to ask a dealer.

Yes haven't seen them advertised either mate..am guessing the same thing no longer available except whatever is left over in stores..would be good to hear if they are thinking of reintroducing them..have heard good reports about the Primacy 3's and then the odd bad one..I Looked into the Pilot Sport 4 and from what i have read they seem a good option..so let us know what you finally decide on mate and any other info you come up with..a few around my area are doing the 4 for 3 option at the moment or the $100 refund option..

I do hope you find a good deal

Keep Safe

KAA

7 minutes ago, KAA said:

have heard good reports about the Primacy 3's and then the odd bad one.

I suspect if there is a bad review it is also possible that poor punter got some old stock tyres. It's getting harder to trust people these days unfortunately and when a dealer has over stock, it may take a few years to move them all and you could be getting tyres with manufacture dates 2, 3 or even 4 years old. That's a shocker !!

Make sure when you buy your tyres, insist they tell you the date of manufacture so you don't end up a wood duck.

9 minutes ago, KAA said:

.a few around my area are doing the 4 for 3 option at the moment or the $100 refund option..

Is this for Michelin tyres in particular and does this also include the Pilot Sport 4 ?? If so, I could use this as bargaining ammo with my local :biggrin:

19 minutes ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Make sure when you buy your tyres, insist they tell you the date of manufacture so you don't end up a wood duck.

Following YouTube video shows how to determine the manufacture date from a 4 digit code on the tyre's sidewall. 

I am regularly searching touring/highway tyres. Manufacturers are releasing updated versions or new models.

Please note that the Michelin Pilot Sport being a sports performance tyre is only available in larger diameter, lower profile sizes. 

However, I do have the latest generation of Michelin Primacy 4 on a shortlist because of its advertised wet braking performance and available in 216/60/16 size. 

• Like 1

Tony I will make a couple of calls tomorrow mate and let you know if those are on the deal lists around here..if so..yes a good bargaining chip for you

KAA

8 hours ago, campbeam said:

Please note that the Michelin Pilot Sport being a sports performance tyre is only available in larger diameter, lower profile sizes. 

This is correct for 17" and larger. There isn't one for the ATX's 215/60/R16, so the Primacy 4 would be your best option unless you upgrade to a larger wheel. I may even consider the Primacy 4 too Ash. Another excellent tyre from Michelin and somehow seems to be more expensive than the PS 4 😲

Very strange..

Here's Bob Jane's offering

Edited by Tony Prodigy

OK a few phone calls later to most of the reputable tyre shops around here and nothing in the Michelin Primacy or Pilot Sport range are on 4 for 3 or money back offers..I am sure being the wise man you are Tony you will get a good set for a good price

KAA

18 minutes ago, KAA said:

OK a few phone calls later to most of the reputable tyre shops around here and nothing in the Michelin Primacy or Pilot Sport range are on 4 for 3 or money back offers..I am sure being the wise man you are Tony you will get a good set for a good price

KAA

I also checked the Michelin website for their Latest Promotion which was $100 cashback in June/July.

You may be interested to read this review article

https://www.carlist.my/news/review-michelin-primacy-4--trying-to-make-sense-of-an-unbelievable-claim-65767/65767/

You may like this YouTube video.

• Thanks 1

Ash that was an interesting read about the Primacy 4 tyres..I have found them awesome at water dispersion and awesomely quiet on the road..however if as they claim the wet weather stopping distance is still better when worn than new tyres it is a bonus..the issue has always been the cost and the availability of the Michelin Primacy 4 series tyres..but if you plan ahead and keep monitoring the sales and specials that the tyre suppliers throw out there you can always come up with something you feel is a good deal

Thanks for the review post and the video both very interesting and useful

KAA

• Like 1

3 hours ago, KAA said:

KAA

Yeah, that's what I thought too Robert. Same down here. If there is such a special they'd be everywhere I guess as it's a franchise thing. I hope the specials kick in soon cos I'm running out of time lol..

3 hours ago, campbeam said:

I also checked the Michelin website for their Latest Promotion which was $100 cashback in June/July.

You may be interested to read this review article

https://www.carlist.my/news/review-michelin-primacy-4--trying-to-make-sense-of-an-unbelievable-claim-65767/65767/

You may like this YouTube video.

It's a really hard choice Ash. I love Michelin tyres and I've got two in mind. 1st would be the Pilot Sport 4 and my second choice would be the Primacy 4. My only concern is the longevity of the Pilot Sports as it is more a performance oriented tyre and I think it will wear faster the the Primacy. Only thing is I cannot get a definitive answer on this. Everyone who has had them, all have said the same thing. Excellent steering response, improved braking, grip levels but not longevity. That's the question.

Michelin have really turned a corner in terms of tyre technology and I think they are really starting to address the issues that have plagued some previous versions. I really dig the idea of the Silent Rib design, which uses inter-locking bands to minimize tread block deformation and hence reduction in road noise. This is the fine detail with which Michelin continues to impress upon us. I think most of the other brands seriously lack behind Michelin in many facets of tyre construction, which is why I think I'll stick with Michelin.

Just have to keep searching out a good deal...

Edited by Tony Prodigy

2 hours ago, Metal_Head said:

Thanks for posting Adam. I will look into these as I'm not up to speed on the Yokohamas of late. When I was searching out tyres for my M3 I did have a look at the Advan series quite a while back, but it was reported that they don't last long due to the softness of the rubber. I ended up with Michelin Pilot Preceda tyres instead and they are a fantastic tyre too.

Edited by Tony Prodigy

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I ended up with Michelin Pilot Preceda tyres instead and they are a fantastic tyre too.

Have a look at this YouTube video then go have a look at the sidewall of your tyres.

Unfortunately, most tyre manufacturer’s websites do not include the treadwear rating for their different tyres plus other specification e.g. depth of tread etc.

Can’t have facts getting in the way of marketing’s subjective statements especially when comparing tyres. Guess you have to ask specific questions to get specific answers.