Tyres for your Aurion

Tony Prodigy

The worst is a "can of goo". Many of us original folk back in mid 2012 bought our 86's & waited 6-8months for it to arrive knowing a full sized spare was included in the package, next thing we all knew Toyota in their infinite wisdom decided they should have a flat floor & dumped it for the said "can of goo" ! Needless to say we were all ******, I sold my "can of goo" setup & got myself a full sized spare & raised bootliner.

1 hour ago, ZZT86 said:

The worst is a "can of goo". Many of us original folk back in mid 2012 bought our 86's & waited 6-8months for it to arrive knowing a full sized spare was included in the package, next thing we all knew Toyota in their infinite wisdom decided they should have a flat floor & dumped it for the said "can of goo" ! Needless to say we were all ******, I sold my "can of goo" setup & got myself a full sized spare & raised bootliner.

So did they change the boot floor design before commencement of production despite the Promo material heralding the inclusion of a full sized spare ? Was there wheel well or something in the original design ?

It's quite pathetic to ditch the spare all together and expect you hold a can of goo instead. Who are these people ?? 

Originally it had a full size wheel/tyre with the raised donut bootliner then a few months later they flattened it by replacing spare with can of goo.

On 10/22/2020 at 3:34 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

Is 38 psi the magic number I wonder..

Just read this on a post in Quora.com which I think has merit.

"The tires control the vehicle. Get the best tires you can afford. Your life may depend on it one day. After driving 10 miles or so. Use a infrared thermometer to measure temperatures across the face of the tread. If the center is hotter than the edges, the tire is over inflated. If the edges are hotter, it’s under inflated. Adjust accordingly until the temperature is consistent across the tire. This is a properly inflated tire. It will also be higher than that sticker, and in most cases be about 10% under max psi from the sidewall."

https://www.quora.com/Should-tires-really-be-inflated-to-car-manufacturer-specs

• Like 3

Good info Ash, I have always run my Aurions tyres at either 36 - 38 PSi..when on a long haul trip it is possibly 38-39 PSI..if i had a thermal thermometer i would certainly be checking them better.. as tyres are the lifesaver it was great advice to buy the best you possibly can afford as they are the only defence against idiot driver and wild wet weather like we have right now across the central coast NSW..today i really felt the benefit of the Michelin Primacy Brand of tyres..as when we left for the shops it was only spitting rain when we came out it was dumping from a great height on us and water everywhere in pools..the grip in the wet is incredible..and the car stuck like glue

KAA

• Like 3

Ash, technically that's an excellent response & makes perfect sense. Problem is not many people have one of them giggas to measure temps. Max pressure on my tyres is 50psi-10%=45=plenty !

The above info is so great I wana try it - what sort of thermo gun do you have Ash & would you recommend it ? Repco have the Mechpro on special which seems decent enough.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

The above info is so great I wana try it - what sort of thermo gun do you have Ash & would you recommend it ? Repco have the Mechpro on special which seems decent enough.

I do have an  infra red thermal gun which I bought on eBay pre COVID-19. It would have been budget-priced. No doubt there are better quality ones available. I have used it once to test it [pre and post catalytic converter temperatures] then packed it away. Now got another use for the gun.

After looking at the Repco listing description, there are a few more uses that could be worthwhile trying out.

28 minutes ago, campbeam said:

I do have an  infra red thermal gun which I bought on eBay pre COVID-19. It would have been budget-priced. No doubt there are better quality ones available. I have used it once to test it [pre and post catalytic converter temperatures] then packed it away. Now got another use for the gun.

After looking at the Repco listing description, there are a few more uses that could be worthwhile trying out.

I purchased a real snazzy one from sedy-tools off Ebay earlier this year. Unfortunately they have run out of stock otherwise I could've linked it for you guys here.

The nicest feature of this one is the colour LCD screen. It was literally the only one of it's type sold through this seller. I'll send him a message and see if they'll be restocking this item anytime soon.

It was around $45 and for the money It was miles ahead of the more expensive brand name items.

s-l1600 (1).jpg

s-l1600 (2).jpg

s-l1600 (3).jpg

s-l1600 (4).jpg

s-l1600 (5).jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

How is the strength of the laser ? Easily visible ?

Yes G it is very visible. It shoots out a cluster of Laser dots. Not sure if you can adjust this to a single point as I haven't played with the settings as yet, but it is a nice feature I thought. So the pics show one shot at a distance of around 4-5m and one closer at around 1.5m.

I have since contacted the seller and they are waiting to hear back from their supplier on stock. I'll let you all know if they come back if you're interested in purchasing one.

20201031_071407.jpg

20201031_071454.jpg

20201031_071535.jpg

• 6 months later...

Greetings Gents..

Just a quick submission..

Changed my tyres from Michelin Primacy 3 to Michelin primacy 4..

I've had them on for 3 weeks now, and they are quieter than the 3's..I did a run down to the Gold Coast recently also on them, and they are definitely a better tyre then the previous Primacy 3. Paid $204 per tyre, at BJ.. 

Very pleased with these, I actually wanted Pilot 4,  but none were available in my tyre size at the time, However, I'm not disappointed at all in these..

Cheers..BigMike

• Thanks 1

Nice one Big Mike 👌

Can't go wrong with any Michelin tyres to be honest. They are excellent tyres in all aspects, dry, wet and are long lasting. As they age they do become more noticeably noisy though. It's a thing with any tyre to be honest,  not just Michelins. Mine are a bit noisy now too, but admittedly, they have been on the car for several years now and even though they have adequate tread left, they are almost at the end of their life cycle. 

I'm getting hammered with the bills at the moment, but as soon I recover I will start canvassing the Pilot Sport 4s. Been wanting to try these out for ages. Hopefully find a set for my size too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Prodigy said:

I'm getting hammered with the bills at the moment, but as soon I recover I will start canvassing the Pilot Sport 4s. Been wanting to try these out for ages. Hopefully find a set for my size too. 

Hopefully you have at least 17" rims. 

https://www.michelin.com.au/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4 

2 minutes ago, campbeam said:

Hopefully you have at least 17" rims. 

https://www.michelin.com.au/auto/tyres/michelin-pilot-sport-4 

Yep, The 50 series Prodigy and Presara share the same 17" wheels actually and I have seen PS4 to suit 215/55R17, so shouldn't be a problem. Just have to dig around to get the best possible price.

I hope this Covid crap hasn't added an extra tax to tyres too...

2 hours ago, Tony Prodigy said:

Yep, The 50 series Prodigy and Presara share the same 17" wheels actually and I have seen PS4 to suit 215/55R17, so shouldn't be a problem. Just have to dig around to get the best possible price.

I hope this Covid crap hasn't added an extra tax to tyres too...

Can't get RE003 at the moment.... No one has any  

I have had these Primacy 4's for about 2 years now and they still feel new especially in the wet, don't do many Klms these days, but every now and then She Who Must Be Obeyed and I do a scenic drive along the Central Coast just to enjoy the beauty and time away from the 4 walls.

I also would be interested in the Pilot Series so when any of you open up the wallets let me know your thoughts on them for next time I replace these. However by then they will probably be RE009's LOL

KAA

• Like 1

Michelin have struggled very badly in the last 6-12 months with supply, even from Thailand because of shipping issues due to corona.

The story I'm getting from Michelin dealers is that scheduled deliveries to a destination gets delayed or canceled because the ship captain isn't willing to quarantine the local regulated 14 days so he just turns the boat around & goes elsewhere ! Can you believe that ?

Michelin are losing sales big time, I want a set of PS4S for my Hachi & I can't get them & Michelin have no idea when a delivery is expected to arrive ! Bridgestone have no such issues, looks like I'm getting a set of S007's . . . .amazing.

3 hours ago, ZZT86 said:

the ship captain isn't willing to quarantine the local regulated 14 days so he just turns the boat around & goes elsewhere ! Can you believe that ?

Even if he doesn't get off the ship himself ?? Why would they quarantine a cargo ship, are they crazy ? Unload the ship and then they can P.O.Q. Simple.

Have no idea how it works, all I know is that's the story they've fed me on more than one occasion. I will call Michelin HO in the morning but I'm almost certain to get the "I don't know" answer.