going to get a 2nd hand 2019 Camry Ascent , any feedbacks/issues for this entry level please?

MichaelG

Dear all Camry owners,

I just sold my 2009 Aurion MY10 ATX (with 175,000kms on the clock, $7000 quick sell), I know, I gave up the V6 for a I4 is knid of nut, but the new camry is equiped with loads of safety driving assistance functions, (it's for my wife and my son is going to start to learn driving), the ATX Aurion don't even equiped with rear park sensor or parking camra....

I searched on carsales and realized that Toyota starts to offer 5 year warranty starting Jan 2019 ( that makes the new 2018 model owners bad I guess). 

Since I'm not a CVT guy and we mainly use it for highway driving instead of city commute, so I'm looking at petrol Ascent. (considering the price difference between new cars only 3k but the 2nd hand market arround 5-6k, further more, the batteries may cost 3-4k within 10 years.)

so , is it good choice for me? I'll test drive tomorrow, will update what I found out later, any comments/recommendations welcome!

PS, used to own a 2009 Kluger 4WD, sold end 2019 (with 150,000km); and above mentioned Aurion, really love toyota reliability and low cost mantenance. 

There is a good post by ZZT86 on this recent thread. 

I use Redbook to research specifications and standard equipment of a vehicle. 

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2019-toyota-camry-ascent-auto/SPOT-ITM-529894/ 

https://www.redbook.com.au/cars/details/2017-toyota-aurion-at-x-auto/SPOT-ITM-456787/ 

The 50 series Aurion is a totally revised vehicle to the 40 series. As per Redbook 2017 Aurion has parking sensors and parking camera. 

I am very much biased towards the Aurion with its V6 engine because I love/appreciate how effortlessly it accelerates from 100 kph to overtake. Fuel economy is very much dependent upon the lead foot otherwise just as economical as a 4 cylinder on the highway.

If I was going to go back to a 4 cylinder Camry, then I would be looking at the Camry with its 2.5 litre engine and sportsmatic transmission. I would certainly want to test how quickly it accelerates for overtaking purposes.

• Like 1

Hi Campbeam

Thanks for your feedback🤝, Yes, I was thinking about the latest Aurion too, but it's not equiped with the most advanced Toyota Safty Sense, I guess this may do a great job especially when my son starts to practice driving (newbie with V6 may cause more speeding tickets?😏). 

But I'll definitly compare both car interms of driving and cost to own. will update later. 

On 10/24/2020 at 5:53 PM, MichaelG said:

Hi Campbeam

Thanks for your feedback🤝, Yes, I was thinking about the latest Aurion too, but it's not equiped with the most advanced Toyota Safty Sense, I guess this may do a great job especially when my son starts to practice driving (newbie with V6 may cause more speeding tickets?😏). 

But I'll definitly compare both car interms of driving and cost to own. will update later. 

At the end of the day, you have to weigh up what is suitable for the family. The Aurion is an amazing vehicle, especially the later Gen models. Unfortunately production ceased in 2017 and then we got the V6 Camry back. If money was no issue I'd seriously consider the newer Camry.

Forget Hybrid. Those things are a false economy with those very expensive batteries (which cause damage to the environment from the way the lithium is mined) that will require replacing and when that time comes the car will be worthless and any cost saving made via fuel economy would've been eaten up with depreciation and the need to have the batteries replaced.  That's if electrical gremlins don't eat your wallet in the meantime.

• Like 1

If you do lots of localised driving the 4 pot Camry will be cheaper to run & harder to get a speeding fine in 😉  It's also far safer in terms of proactive safety.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/27/2020 at 3:18 AM, Tony Prodigy said:

Forget Hybrid. Those things are a false economy with those very expensive batteries (which cause damage to the environment from the way the lithium is mined) that will require replacing and when that time comes the car will be worthless and any cost saving made via fuel economy would've been eaten up with depreciation and the need to have the batteries replaced. 

They aren't lithium, well the next one is.

Your argument on economy ignores the significantly less depreciation over the life of the vehicle. You're also missing the point that petrol only vehicles will likely begin to fall out of favour as the rise in hybrids and electric continue for the next decade. In 10 years time you'd be wanting to own a hybrid vs a petrol V6 with resale. Battery packs will be cheaper by then too.

The batteries are now guaranteed by Toyota for 10 years.

They are also quicker than the 4.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

A one point I was considering getting a newer second hand car to replace my old Corolla, the downside with this is you don't know how the car has been treated, or has it been in a crash. :unsure:

A new Camry comes with a 5yr warranty and unlimited kms and you get all the new technology and there's plenty of that, I'm still learning.  :biggrin: